Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Max 3 dives with D500 battery?

Started by sinetwo ·

  • 24Posts
  • 24Replies

Read-only discussion

Max 3 dives with D500 battery?

24 posts
  1. Hey all, something that's been irking me is that I seem to get a maximum of 3 dives (comfortably) with the D500. I use official batteries and the official charger and I've disabled the touch interface and I leave it on airplane mode. The display brightness is set to 0 (normal) so I have an indication of real life exposure. 

     

    I don't feel like I excessively use the screen but I do sometimes for quick settings off eye rather than in the OVF. I think I take anything between 50-100 shots per dive depending...

     

    I use the optical hot shoe on the Nauticam like most users.

     

    Other dslr users I've spoken to say they get more daily mileage out of their much older systems. I attribute this to perhaps the camera being more efficient and storing less information (megapixels)? 

     

    At this point, I feel like the d500 misses the "long lasting batter argument" against their mirrorless equivalents, unless I'm missing some obvious settings? 

     

    Any thoughts from fellow D500 users that can squeeze 4+ dives in a battery? 

     

    Edited by sinetwo
  2. We've just been discussing this on a post that MAGS started about the D500 in a Subal housing.

    I've had the D500 since 2107 and have done around 500 dives with it. I get about the same battery life as you: 3 dives for sure - I might squeeze out a 4th if I didn't take that many pics in the first 3 dives.

    I must admit I have always been very happy with this. A full day's shooting on one battery - works for me. I never thought that this might be less than perhaps it should be. 

    I've got 3x batteries, two of which are starting to get slightly creaky but still can turn out 3 dives.

  3. i have dived with the d500 since 2017 i ve been even using it for video and even use the hdmi signal on a monitor and i have really long dives one hour min but at the end my batt dies and i swap it with a fresh on especially if i go on a night dive!

     

     

  4. Thanks both, good to hear my actuals are similar and that I'm not doing anything significantly wrong. Maybe one day they'll create an external battery pack of sorts that can serve as the strobe arms and give you mega power! 

  5. Which exact battery model do you have? Nikon EN-EL15a, b, c, or something else? There were some issues with the batteries before the A model that prompted a recall/replacement. Don't even think about 3rd party batteries.

  6. I think it can be confusing to refer to number of dives rather than number of shots.  I have had dives where I only took a few shots due to conditions or an absence of what I was looking for.  I feel I get plenty of shots out of a D500 battery before I need to change it, although I have never actually tried to track that number.  Underwater, I use only the "c"  batteries of fairly recent vintage.

  7. 2 hours ago, Draq said:

     

    I think it can be confusing to refer to number of dives rather than number of shots

     

    Yeah, that’s a fair comment, Draq. I’d say about 250-300 shots from a full charge

  8. Agreed, that feels about right. With the Z7 dpreview get 420 with the OVF and 360 with the rear screen. Which rivals the D500 quite a bit, given it needs to keep a screen on at all times! 

  9. Yep, I am also dissapointed. Reckon I get around 250 shots per charge. That is without live view. If live view is on it drops to around 50 shots or 1 dive as I found out to my horror. Whilst away I tried my original and the b type Nikon Batteries. Borrowed an A type. No difference to really percieve. In the end I turned off live view unless I wanted to get a low down shot and couldn't get my shot using the "headstand" method.

  10. I'm running a test at the moment. I've now done 6 dives (3 days x 2 dives - probably around 5 hours in total) and plan to do another 2 tomorrow. Still on the same battery...... 

    The camera has been on for the duration of each dive but I never use LiveView. 

    I'll report the total number of pics when I finish.......

  11. WOW!

    I've just finished the 8th dive on the same battery. No use of LiveView at all but the camera was switched on for the duration of each dive - all of which were in the 45 -55 minute range. 

    I took 682 RAW images and the camera is still reporting the battery as having 25% charge left.

    The battery is an EN-EL15b. The QR code gives its date as 2018 but it isn't that old. It's either 2020 or 2021, I Can't be sure which.

    But a pretty good rate of return in terms of images!

     

  12. That's crazy @TimG, it's the kind of life I was expecting from a DSLR.

     

    I presume they're all full size raw images, monitor brightness on 0 (normal) and airplane mode on? 

  13. 14 minutes ago, sinetwo said:

    I presume they're all full size raw images, monitor brightness on 0 (normal) and airplane mode on? 

    Yep. 

    And for the technical community, water temperature was 27-28 degrees Centigrade - 82 degrees Fahrenheit

  14. Thanks @TimG, I would be happy with 682 images for one battery charge. I'll write to Nikon to see if there have been any "duff" batches, knowing my luck they will be the ones I have! My dives were all around 70 to 90minutes so would have thought 3 dives of that duration were OK,

    Edited by Mags
  15. Also to consider, different lenses affect battery usage.

  16. FWIW, with my D810 and then D850, I got multiple days on a battery.  I never thought twice about it during a typical 3-dive day.

    I changed out the battery each night with a fresh one simply because I was already at the camera anyway to get the card out.   Typically 3 hour-long dives each day - 100 or so shots per dive macro, and sometimes 3x that many wide angle (because not using flash more I also tended to shoot multiple frames per second with some subjects.)

    Then, with the D850, I tried video a couple of years ago.  Totally different, mostly due to all that Live View use.  I noticed toward the end of my second dive that I was getting a battery warning.  And that was typical - barely eked out 2 dives on a battery.  I figure both Live View and continuous VR ate the power.

     

  17. Continuous VR, didn't think of that one

  18. 2 hours ago, Mags said:

    Continuous VR, didn't think of that one

    Interesting thought. I've only got VR on the Nikkor 105mm and never use that feature underwater.

  19. 7 hours ago, TimG said:

    Interesting thought. I've only got VR on the Nikkor 105mm and never use that feature underwater.

    Hmm.  I've never turned it off.  

  20. @TimG can you share your exact setup and settings on how you get such good battery life?

     

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.