Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Subal User Group

Started by TimG ·

  • 22Posts
  • 22Replies

Read-only discussion

Subal User Group

22 posts
  1. I've been trying to find a zoom ring for the Nikkor 10-24 to use with a Type 4 Subal housing. 

    No luck so far but I did learn that there are a good few dedicated Subal users amongst WP members. 

    So why not have a Subal Users Group? If you are looking for advice on using Subal equipment or looking for a Subal item, what better place to look?

    Harley have their HOGs. Subal can have their SUGs.

    Ok, you crazy Subal users.... Follow this thread.... :good: 

  2. If I can get my hands on the lens, I can make you the gear.  I'm still learning the nuances of zoom/focus gears (and all the housings) but I've been pretty successful so far printing these.  

    But outside of that, I will hopefully never switch housings again so I'll be sticking wi/Subal.   

  3. Wow, that would be brilliant! I’ve got the measurements of the lens thanks to the efforts of a couple of members. 

  4. As of today, I have only five (5) Subal housings.  Do I qualify for the Subal Users Group?

     

  5. 7 hours ago, Kraken de Mabini said:

    As of today, I have only five (5) Subal housings.  Do I qualify for the Subal Users Group?

     

    You probably squeeze in, right? :P

  6. Check out this funky viewfinder on my Subal (not a Subal part). Just wanted to post to be part of the thread.

    CAY22_am-10698.jpg

  7. Woah! That's quite something! For those with a long neck?

  8. Alex, can you see the front end of the objective with the other eye while holding the rig to your shooting eye? Looks like a nice set up for macro shooting while snorkeling in shallow water. Now for Nauticam to make a Seacam adapter...

  9. Hi, Alex:  

    That is a nice viewfinder, not funky at all. It qualifies you for a First Class Wetpixel/Subal membership. Where did you get it?  
     

  10. A number of WP members have been really kind in helping me with a zoom ring for the Nikkor 10-24.

    I finally collected the lens at the weekend. To my delight I found the Type 4 (ie 88 teeth) zoom ring for the Nikkor 8-15mm works perfectly on the Nikkor 10-24 lens.

    The Subal model of zoom ring I have for the 8-15mm has teeth all the way along the barrel of the zoom ring - not, as has been the norm, just along a short section of the ring. 

    This makes the zoom ring much more flexible in terms of which lenses it might fit.

    Attached is a pic showing a couple of zoom rings: on the left with teeth all along the barrel (this is for the Nikkor 8-15 + TC) ; and on the right the usual style (for the Tokina 10-17 + TC).

     

    IMG_2030.jpg

  11. A great idea. As someone new to Subal and the Nikon D500 that does not dive that regulary in the UK, it is often for a few days at a time on a hardboat. (Cold and carrying the gear means shore dives are not my ideal). I also try and get away for a few trips abroad in the year so it would be good to have the right set of lens at the beginning of a trip rather than "learning on the fly".

  12. Has anyone tried using the Nikkor DX 10-24 behind a 100mm domeport?

    If so, what EXR did you use and did you use the +2 diopter? 

    Just intrigued......

  13. I would expected it to perform very poorly. 

  14. Thanks, Alex. Yeah, that was what I figured but worth asking.....

  15. Thank you sooo much @g3cko You have made my month/year!!! I'll let you elaborate if you want ;) One gear is perfect, the other just needs a bit of a tape tweak. The EXR33/4 extension is pristine and bonus, it came with another ORing :fishgold: If ever we meet the beers are on me!:drink:

  16. On 1/16/2023 at 7:14 PM, TimG said:

    I've been trying to find a zoom ring for the Nikkor 10-24 to use with a Type 4 Subal housing. 

    No luck so far but I did learn that there are a good few dedicated Subal users amongst WP members. 

    So why not have a Subal Users Group? If you are looking for advice on using Subal equipment or looking for a Subal item, what better place to look?

    Harley have their HOGs. Subal can have their SUGs.

    Ok, you crazy Subal users.... Follow this thread.... :good: 

    Dare I say anything @g3cko

  17. 4 hours ago, Mags said:

    Thank you sooo much @g3cko You have made my month/year!!! I'll let you elaborate if you want ;) One gear is perfect, the other just needs a bit of a tape tweak. The EXR33/4 extension is pristine and bonus, it came with another ORing :fishgold: If ever we meet the beers are on me!:drink:

    So what have you crazy kids been up to now????

  18. 50 minutes ago, TimG said:

    So what have you crazy kids been up to now????

    I had a duplicate ext33 ring in my gear pile and since we were going to be shipping across the pond, I offered to 3d print a couple gears too (18-55 and 10-17). 

  19. Cool! 
     

  20. I need to replace the rubber eye cup on my 45-degree Subal finder. I’ve had the finder for 15 years and this will be the second replacement. So not bad. 

    Does anyone know of any rubber eye cups that fit? Or do I just have to order from Subal? I think that’s what I did last time. 

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.