Skip to content

Lights, Strobes, and Lighting Technique / Archived topic

Inon rumors: New Inon S-220 to replacement S-2000

Started by turandot ·

  • 36Posts
  • 36Replies

Read-only discussion

Inon rumors: New Inon S-220 to replacement S-2000

36 posts
  1. Inon rumors.

    On Inon's social networks we have seen photos of the new Inon flash model, the S-220, replacement of the "discontinued" S-2000 model. Apparently there are stock problems with some electronic components, either that do not arrive or that have stopped being manufactured, this is something that Inon itself should clarify soon for the peace of mind of its customers and recent Inon flash buyers.

    Some new features seen in the photos:
    - Same size: small & compact
    - New design and size of the buttons
    - New flash front
    - Interchangeable integrated diffusers (various tone models)

    Some doubts:
    - Same batteries? 4xAA
    - Same guide number? NG 20
    - Same beam of light? 110º
    - Same battery recycling time?

    (photos are linked from Takuya Torii's Instagram profile)

    327600195_574797304500140_19919255663728

     

    326950579_1900934850253001_1548414845727

     

    327086518_717082183423586_61602174445715

     

    324097016_1244271652825759_3874103304344

     

  2. Since owning Inon flashes since Z-220 with a guide number of 22 then Z-240 with GN-24 now Z-330 II's with Gn-33 it seems a safe bet the new S-220 will have a GN of 22. They also appear to have the same rounded front element like the Z-330's as you can see from the array of diffusers on the table. Four AA batteries is a given as well.

    My guess is that we will be seeing a new Z-450 (give or take on the GN) soon replacing the Z-330.    

  3. I had another Sea&Sea YS-D2 broken in december 22 and plan to replace it with another Z330 (we have already three). My dealer (Panocean in Germany) informed me that Z-330 and S-2000 are out of stock and discontinued. A replacement model for the smaller flash is expected to be available within the next three monthes. The replacement model for the Z330 will appear, at the earliest, in autumn...

    I hope this will turns out to be wrong and that a Z330 replacement model will become available earlier...

     

    Wolfgang

    Edited by Architeuthis
  4. I think the new S-220 can be a bestseller. And if it arrives with a larger NG it can be unbeatable in terms of power and size and perfect for traveling.

    I think the replacement of the Z-330 will arrive before the autumn, but it's just a personal thought.

    The doubt that Inon must clarify and worries me as a user of Inon flashes is, if spare parts are guaranteed for current or recently discontinued models like Z-330 or S-2000.

    The point in favor of Inon is that it listens to its customers and with each new version all the defects improve.

    Edited by turandot
  5. Hm, looks like the same flash design? I had the hope Inon will use circular flash tube in their new products. I hope the successor of the Z330 will at least have some more changes. Circular flash tube, better batteries like the 18650 and strong LEDs would be a dream update. 

  6. I prefer the straight flash tubes, better for macro (faster firing time).  For this compact model, 18650 might be ok too but 4xAA is really not bad.  The S2000 were so perfect for compact set ups and macro, I am glad Inon will make a successor.

     

    I dont think the LED need to be stronger.  The focus light of the flash is never aiming where I want anyways.

  7. I loved my S2000 strobes for macro and came to regret selling them in favor of the Z240s.  I’m very glad to see this new model!  

  8. Good news!! GN 22 is confirmed!!

    (photos are linked from Takuya Torii's Instagram profile)

    326527398_707385681117626_60654457691167

     

  9. On 1/31/2023 at 8:25 PM, turandot said:

    Good news!! GN 22 is confirmed!!

    (photos are linked from Takuya Torii's Instagram profile)

    326527398_707385681117626_60654457691167

     

    Can you maybe repost the photos ? Afraid nothing shows other some numbers like above...same for the first post.

  10. 12 hours ago, makar0n said:

    Can you maybe repost the photos ? Afraid nothing shows other some numbers like above...same for the first post.

    https://www.instagram.com/inon_torii_san

     

  11. 11 hours ago, froop said:

    Thanks....just I am one of those weirdos that does not have Instagram.. but at least could see thumbnails  xD

  12. Seems backscatter has preorders open..though price displays as 0 USD so hey, deal of the century xDDD

    https://www.backscatter.com/Inon-S220-S-TTL-Underwater-Strobe

    image.png.517ce75b661eaaf8e7acd2f69816c33b.png

    There are also some pics..cannot see the flash tube though (T? circular?). However the buttons look like sliders. This could be a rather welcome change given that one of the buttons is now called a "bastard" one :D

    image.png.a52c0f5d5d8713728faa06954699fe06.png

    image.png.ad72b8a0d34c44dbc097ea24d78456b6.png

     

    Edited by makar0n
  13. Anyone know... "what's next?" For inon..

     

    Do you guys/gals think that they will go away from the 4x AA style battery and go with the 18650 and variant type of battery.

    I see a strobe as just a strobe. I am not sure what innovation there will be other than.. more power!! More control of the power...

     

    This s2000 might be their ... only AA battery style strobe..

     

    Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

     

     

     

     

  14. 1 hour ago, hellhole said:

    I see a strobe as just a strobe. I am not sure what innovation there will be other than.. more power!! More control of the power...

    Oh, there's plenty of room to innovate. Off the top of my head - smaller size, lighter weight, lower cost, adjustable beam angle, adjustable color temperature (not by filters, but at the emitter), faster recycle, high-speed sync, remote triggering. Underwater strobes are actually quite primitive compared to land ones.

  15. I fear the rise of lithium batteries in strobes. There are clearly performance advantages, but it also feels inevitable that one fire on a plane somewhere will bring a 10 year worldwide ban for spare and large lithium batteries. 

  16. That'd be tantamount to banning laptops.

  17. Lithium is used everywhere and indeed can be dangerous. However with proper rules/care they would be an improvement. I wished Retras would use a different power and case strategy for their strobes.

    Inviato dal mio SM-A325F utilizzando Tapatalk

  18. 2 hours ago, nudibranco said:

    I wished Retras would use a different power and case strategy for their strobes.

    I don't!

    I really like the AA battery strategy. Easy and cheap to obtain batteries, easy to recharge, chose between 4 or 8 with the Supercharger, easy to carry battery chargers, same batteries as lots of other gizmos (including my dive light) so one USB charger does the lot.

    I really would not welcome some bespoke charger (à la L&M Sola lights)

  19. 1 hour ago, TimG said:

    I don't!

    I really like the AA battery strategy. Easy and cheap to obtain batteries, easy to recharge, chose between 4 or 8 with the Supercharger, easy to carry battery chargers, same batteries as lots of other gizmos (including my dive light) so one USB charger does the lot.

    I really would not welcome some bespoke charger (à la L&M Sola lights)

    The day before a dive my room seems a nuclear power plant ...

    Edited by Davide DB — Typo

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.