I have gone between the two, and still either use or dive with people who use compacts as I use mirrorless. I am routinely astounded at the quality of the compact images (G7xii) as well as the simplicity of its use. I really only see a couple downsides: 1) Battery since it fires the flash to fire the strobe so you get one dive per battery and 2) Video – no 10bit - 4k – which I need for certain things, but most people don’t (and I sometimes just us a gopro strapped to the top of the compact anyway). My full frame has a lot more latitude in post but is also a much newer camera body.
Using strobes and the aiming lights on strobes – I have no issues with focus. Sure it doesn’t focus as fast as a mirroless body but I am not shooting fast moving pelagics, although I very likely could. No experience there. But what is fast enough comes to mind.
The simplicity in a flat port and small housing is big. Mostly because it can become less of the entirety of your dive and I do clip my compact to my BC and do something, where I would not do that with a huge port. I don’t even think about whether I should take it in the water – I always do. Whereas my mirrorless, that is the focus on the dive. I have numerous times almost pulled the trigger on an WWL for the compact, but each time think – at that point I might as well just take the dome and mirrorless.
The G7xii is a 24mm-(something..?) lens and I have both the wee dome and the flat port for it. And I usually just use the flat port.
On my blog, it is very hard to know which is shot with my R5 and which is shot with the G7xii. Working with the images in post, it is very easy to tell – they dynamic range, cropability and many other aspects of the R5 really come to shine, but the final product is suprisingly close sometimes– at least for screen and moderate print. The difference between the TG-6 (of which I also own) and the other two is obvious except for macro and near macro. I bring the TG-6, as if it is a phone - it plus a video light or cheap strobe clipped to my BC just in case I see something I want to photograph.
So, if you can only have one, I would stick with mirrorless. But I still reach for simplicity sometimes – especially if diving with a less experienced diver or when task loaded with other stuff. Just simply having a much less expensive body and port makes all the difference in certain cases to have the camera in the water when diving, rather than doing a dive for image collection.
I do see a reason to have and use both depending on the purpose of that dive.