Hi all,
I’ve just returned from Tulamben in Bali where I did 9 dives over four days. My setup was a Nauticam housing with my new Sony A7RV and a Sony 90mm macro lens + wet AOI 16.5x diopter. I had the camera set in M mode throughout, with the lens set on 0.28-0.5m focus distance (once set on 0.28-infinity). I used AF-C and small spot or small spot tracking for focus area. I also used two Inon Z330’s.
I took about 1,000 shots during these 9 dives and my camera froze about 25-30 times!
I found that I could sometimes take up to 10-20 shots in one go with no problem (perhaps pausing for a few seconds between each shot), but on the next one, while the camera was hunting to lock focus on the same subject, all of a sudden it would completely freeze and lock up. The frozen image would remain on the screen for about 30 seconds even though I powered off the camera. About 30 seconds after the initial freeze, it would fire both strobes and then finally turn off properly with the image and screen also turning off. At that point I could turn it back on and use it as before.
This would happen 1-2 times on some dives, on one dive it didn’t happen at all, but on others it would happen 5-8 times.
I should also add that prior to my A7RV I had an A7III with the same lens, strobes and diopter and occasionally had the camera freeze, but never as often as my A7RV. Another slight difference was that on the A7III when I powered it off after freezing, the screen would also turn off (unlike the A7RV). I sent the A7III to Sony for repairs (end of 2019) but it had exactly the same problem on my next dive and I gave up trying to fix it. I assumed it was a one-off and hoped my new camera would not have this problem. Sadly, it’s worse.
Anyway I’m going to take the A7RV into the Sony Service centre, but would like to hear if anyone else has had similar problems and managed to fix them.
Thanks in advance.
Paul