Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Which memory card(s) for Sony A7R5 (size and brand)?

Started by Architeuthis ·

  • 37Posts
  • 37Replies

Read-only discussion

Which memory card(s) for Sony A7R5 (size and brand)?

37 posts
  1. I just purchased a Sony A7R5 camera/housing and consider which type/brand/size of memory card to acquire:

    For the primary and main slot I consider Lexar CFexpress Type-A 80 GB (=602 uncompressed photos). I also take, very occasionally, short videos (At present I consider to record in the uncropped 4k mode, but have to test...).

    => Is 80 GB enough and is Lexar reliable (or should one take the more expensive original Sony tough instead)?

     

    For an increase in capacity, I consider to put a UHS-II (maybe even UHS-I) card with 256 or 512 GB in the second slot. Not for direct recording, just as a backup that, in case of need, I can use also UW to free space on the CFexpress card (I always have my laptop with me and transfer the files every day from the card to the computer).

    => Also here I am interested to hear about brand and size by others...

     

    (At present I am working with this system on Oly EM1-II and have Lexar 32 GB UHS-II in the first slot and Lexar 128 GB UHS-I in the second. I never reached any limiits with these cards, but, of course, the files with the new camera will be larger...:))

     

    Wolfgang

     

    Edited by Architeuthis
  2. I can't offer specific advice for the A7R5 (congrats!) but I shoot an R5 with a stupid expensive CFexpress B 128gb (Sandisk pro) for 10-bit 4k video and a Sandisk Extreme UHS-I v30 512gb for everything else and never have an issue with buffering or image collection.  Its really only high end video that needs the faster cards, in my experience. So I think your plan of a backup UHS-II or I for short videos and stills/backup is a solid plan.  I also don't shoot holding down the shutter button (do we still call it that?) to capture fast action underwater.  If you are going to shoot everything onto the CFexpress A, then you may run out of space sooner than you want, but it also depends on how long your video clips are.  I shoot short - 1-4 min - clips and can do multiple dives on the 128gb shooting HQ log 4k without concern.  80 may be a bit small for multiple dives, but probably totally fine.

    Can't comment on Lexar vs Sony.  Just I was concerned that a slower card was going to be a problem and that was not the case.  Good luck on your decisions.

  3. In some other forums and blogs many guys are sure that the expensive Sony tough cards are worth the money. Given the fact that missing shots under water due to slow or defective cards is no fun I wouldn’t try to save money here. 

  4. The only thing that you describe that needs a fast card is video and you would need a card that records at the bit rate that is required for your chosen format.  I don't see any advantage in an ultra fast small card for photos UW - better in my view to get a large moderately fast card for that so you are not fretting over capacity.  I use a 128GB SD card in my Olympus and it has capacity for a full dive trip.  Something like a 175-200 MB/sec range 128 or 256 GB card in SD format would be my thinking.

    For video the bit rates can be found on this page:  https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-a7rv-review

    The maximum is 600 mbps.  I believe 100 MB/sec is 12.5 MB/sec, so you are looking at 75 MB/sec write speed.  That is the most demanding 4K frame rate and codec in 10 bit.  The next most demanding is 300mbps.  So not super demanding on card speed for 4K video.

    Where you will need a fast card is high frame rate stills and that's where you will run into buffering. 

    this website might be useful for estimating card speed and sizes:  https://havecamerawilltravel.com/convert-megabits-per-second-to-megabytes-per-second-calculator/

  5. I like this website:

    https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/sony-a9/fastest-sd-cards-uhs-i-vs-uhs-ii/

    His Sony A9 test results are probably still relevant for A7R5, A1, etc...

    This led me to see that the Sony M series UHS-II is an excellent performer for the price.  I still have to play with it myself to see if any of the most expensive cards which are 50% faster could make a real-world difference.

     

    By the way I settled on this as the best USB-C UHS-II card reader:

    https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-UHS-II-Reader-SDDR-409-G46/dp/B078JTMDWH/ref=asc_df_B078JTMDWH/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309773039951&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15206033957310568739&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010926&hvtargid=pla-440234556449&psc=1

  6. On 3/9/2023 at 12:51 PM, Architeuthis said:

    I just purchased a Sony A7R5 camera/housing and consider which type/brand/size of memory card to acquire:

    For the primary and main slot I consider Lexar CFexpress Type-A 80 GB (=602 uncompressed photos). I also take, very occasionally, short videos (At present I consider to record in the uncropped 4k mode, but have to test...).

    => Is 80 GB enough and is Lexar reliable (or should one take the more expensive original Sony tough instead)?

     

    For an increase in capacity, I consider to put a UHS-II (maybe even UHS-I) card with 256 or 512 GB in the second slot. Not for direct recording, just as a backup that, in case of need, I can use also UW to free space on the CFexpress card (I always have my laptop with me and transfer the files every day from the card to the computer).

    => Also here I am interested to hear about brand and size by others...

     

    (At present I am working with this system on Oly EM1-II and have Lexar 32 GB UHS-II in the first slot and Lexar 128 GB UHS-I in the second. I never reached any limiits with these cards, but, of course, the files with the new camera will be larger...:))

     

    Wolfgang 

     

    I have two A1 one for photos and one for video

    For photos I use two Lexar 160 GB CF Express A

    This is not for underwater use is for topside when I use burst. When the camera fires 20 fps compressed RAW it takes time to clear the buffer with SD cards

    For video instead I use SD Cards V90 as the requirements are less. I have tried the buffer clearing with SD card and it takes forever as the files are large so for my topside use this is not an option. Consider that the A7RV files are a bit bigger but the burst rate is very slow so not sure about CF Express requirement topside 

    However for underwater use this may be more practical as you can slot an SD card directly in many computers including my macbook pro while the CF Express needs an adapter

    CF Express are physically much more solid devices there is no comparison there

    For SD cards for photos  I recommend transcend 64 GB there is no need to spend more money on anything else. I have also kingston and angelbird because they have larger than 64 GB

    Edited by Interceptor121
  7. You have to be more specific - "Transcend" is just a brand, whose latest and best SD card approaches the best available in performance, while cheaper and especially older models can be extremely poor performers.

  8. You have to be more specific - "Transcend" is just a brand, whose latest and best SD card approaches the best available in performance, while cheaper and especially older models can be extremely poor performers.

    As per my post before I don’t do any memory cards less than v90
    So transcend v90 64GB
    With what I wrote up there why would I suggest a slow card anyway?
    128 GB is quite a lot for photos but the A1/A7R files are really big so if you dont like to format your cards every day this may be an issue


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. A very nice table comparing SD card speeds - you can easily get away with V60, especially when looking at 256GB size in Sabrent/TeamGroup, as those 2 are very close to V90 speeds  (in fact almost beating Transcend for example...) and cost way less.

    https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/reviews/sd-cards/

     

    As for CF Express, just make your own, these are extremely overpriced.

    https://petapixel.com/2022/02/04/adapter-lets-you-turn-cheap-ssds-into-cfexpress-cards/

    Edited by makar0n
  10. A very nice table comparing SD card speeds - you can easily get away with V60, especially when looking at 256GB size in Sabrent/TeamGroup, as those 2 are very close to V90 speeds  (in fact almost beating Transcend for example...) and cost way less.
    https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/reviews/sd-cards/
     
    As for CF Express, just make your own, these are extremely overpriced.
    https://petapixel.com/2022/02/04/adapter-lets-you-turn-cheap-ssds-into-cfexpress-cards/

    Sony doesnt use cf express type B it uses A which are roughly the same size of an SD card just thicker
    A CF Express type B is massive and ai am not aware of any cameras with two slots


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. 7 minutes ago, Interceptor121 said:


    Sony doesnt use cf express type B it uses A which are roughly the same size of an SD card just thicker
    A CF Express type B is massive and ai am not aware of any cameras with two slots


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Interesting choice from Sony...as B are theoretically 2x faster than A, as using 2 PCIe lanes.
    Either way, external adapter only though:

    https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/66038937

  12. Interesting choice from Sony...as B are theoretically 2x faster than A, as using 2 PCIe lanes.
    Either way, external adapter only though:
    https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/66038937

    B cards are massive as I said I have 512 GB for the Gh6 and it cost £179 from angelbird no point spending money on adapters
    Sony has dual slots that take CF A and Sd card actually it works well as dual overflow system


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. 2 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

    A CF Express type B is massive and ai am not aware of any cameras with two slots

    The Nikon Z9 uses 2x CFExpress Type B cards

  14. The Nikon Z9 uses 2x CFExpress Type B cards

    It is a very bulky camera indeed


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. 12 hours ago, makar0n said:

    A very nice table comparing SD card speeds - you can easily get away with V60, especially when looking at 256GB size in Sabrent/TeamGroup, as those 2 are very close to V90 speeds  (in fact almost beating Transcend for example...) and cost way less.

    https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/reviews/sd-cards/

     

    As for CF Express, just make your own, these are extremely overpriced.

    https://petapixel.com/2022/02/04/adapter-lets-you-turn-cheap-ssds-into-cfexpress-cards/

    On the comment for V60 no you don't get away with V60 on the A7RV if you want to shoot video or burst but it is sufficient for a single photo or for low bit rate

    The buffer of those cameras is around 1.6 GB which is huge however the files themselves are 60 MB so only 27 photos and the buffer is full at that point the camera downloads to card and you are more or less stuck until it finishes

    This is why on the A1 I use CF Express Type A and for video SD cards

    A person shooting single photos underwater with a burst speed of max 3-5 fps will not have problems

    The other part of the equation is uploading the files to your computer the Lexar cards I use upload at 800 MB/S sustained while most SD card top at around 300 MB/S

    If you are a person that wants to download your photos to your computer every day and you have 1000 images you are looking at 60000 MB this is 1m15 seconds with the CF Express while on the SD card you are looking at 3 minutes 20 seconds

    The Sony files are really big and in some cases if your laptop has a physical non SSD drive you can really clog the whole thing up

    I would say in fact that the entire system needs to run at similar speed so if like the op you have a macbook with SSD invest in a CF Express 2x80 or 1x160 + V90 SD card as back up

    I have two 160 GB cards which is how high you can go and I have no concerns of any sort. You can go cheaper but you need to be aware of the consequences. With SD cards you can get dual 128 GB but make sure they have high sustained speed. Tests with 1 GB are not really interesting 

    There is a guy that runs good test filling and emptying the buffer

    https://alikgriffin.com/best-memory-cards-sony-a7rv/

     

     

  16. 1 hour ago, Interceptor121 said:

    On the comment for V60 no you don't get away with V60 on the A7RV if you want to shoot video or burst but it is sufficient for a single photo or for low bit rate

    The buffer of those cameras is around 1.6 GB which is huge however the files themselves are 60 MB so only 27 photos and the buffer is full at that point the camera downloads to card and you are more or less stuck until it finishes

    This is why on the A1 I use CF Express Type A and for video SD cards

    A person shooting single photos underwater with a burst speed of max 3-5 fps will not have problems

    The other part of the equation is uploading the files to your computer the Lexar cards I use upload at 800 MB/S sustained while most SD card top at around 300 MB/S

    If you are a person that wants to download your photos to your computer every day and you have 1000 images you are looking at 60000 MB this is 1m15 seconds with the CF Express while on the SD card you are looking at 3 minutes 20 seconds

    The Sony files are really big and in some cases if your laptop has a physical non SSD drive you can really clog the whole thing up

    I would say in fact that the entire system needs to run at similar speed so if like the op you have a macbook with SSD invest in a CF Express 2x80 or 1x160 + V90 SD card as back up

    I have two 160 GB cards which is how high you can go and I have no concerns of any sort. You can go cheaper but you need to be aware of the consequences. With SD cards you can get dual 128 GB but make sure they have high sustained speed. Tests with 1 GB are not really interesting 

    There is a guy that runs good test filling and emptying the buffer

    https://alikgriffin.com/best-memory-cards-sony-a7rv/

     

     

    And how often do you shoot 200 burst pictures of a nudi then moving to another one and doing the same without any break in between ? And "sufficient for a single photo"? Sorry but nope. Bursts test of different cards on A7rV below (and not just USB read/write tests), with variations like uncompressed/compressed RAW and other shenanigans.


    https://www.alphashooters.com/cameras/sony-a7rv/memory-cards/

    Even the Transcend V90, which is on the slower end of the V90 cards, can do 39 shots before filling the buffer. So hardly a "single photo". And if I understand correctly, these tests were done using a single card/slot. So if you go with dual configuration you can certainly speed things up if you go RAW to one, JPG to another.
    As for video, if I am not mistaken, maximum bitrate on A7V5 is about 600Mbps, so as previously @ChrisRoss has calculated,  that's about 75MB/s speed needed (divide by 8 to get megabytes). So not a very high requirement.

    In regards to copying data to your computer, even if we assume a full 256GB written, that's about 5 min at 800MB/s and 14 min at 300MB/s. Now since indeed that is unlikely you will have full 256GB to copy, based on your example of 60 GB, that is about 2 min difference between 800MB/s and 300MB/s. Hardly a life changer. Takes me longer to brew a tea.

    And if you have a HDD (vs SSD) storage on your PC then perhaps this needs your attention much more, as at this point it won't matter how fast your card is, HDD will always be too slow. Even enterprise grade HDDs (which you won't have in your laptop) can do max 290 MB/s sustained write rate, and even that is mostly under lab conditions. So in terms of copying data to PC you would be much better off then investing into an SSD (well, with a normal computer, upgrading macbooks is pretty much pointless from an economical standpoint, unless one goes with an external one) and you will also need NVMe based one to have speeds needed for that 800MB/s write, than getting CF Express card and then using it with 3-4x slower HDD, since at this point HDD will be the limiting factor anyways.
     

    And the link you have quoted, literally one of the first paragraphs:

    " I have not benchmarked the Sony A7rV yet, but these recommendations are based on other Sony cameras like the Sony A1 or the Sony A7IV.  (...). "

    In other words, these are purely his "recommendations" (alongside affiliate links of course), without actual A7RV camera tests.

    Edited by makar0n
  17. 57 minutes ago, makar0n said:

    And how often do you shoot 200 burst pictures of a nudi then moving to another one and doing the same without any break in between ? And "sufficient for a single photo"? Sorry but nope. Bursts test of different cards on A7rV below (and not just USB read/write tests), with variations like uncompressed/compressed RAW and other shenanigans.


    https://www.alphashooters.com/cameras/sony-a7rv/memory-cards/

    Even the Transcend V90, which is on the slower end of the V90 cards, can do 39 shots before filling the buffer. So hardly a "single photo". And if I understand correctly, these tests were done using a single card/slot. So if you go with dual configuration you can certainly speed things up if you go RAW to one, JPG to another.
    As for video, if I am not mistaken, maximum bitrate on A7V5 is about 600Mbps, so as previously @ChrisRoss has calculated,  that's about 75MB/s speed needed (divide by 8 to get megabytes). So not a very high requirement.

    In regards to copying data to your computer, even if we assume a full 256GB written, that's about 5 min at 800MB/s and 14 min at 300MB/s. Now since indeed that is unlikely you will have full 256GB to copy, based on your example of 60 GB, that is about 2 min difference between 800MB/s and 300MB/s. Hardly a life changer. Takes me longer to brew a tea.

    And if you have a HDD (vs SSD) storage on your PC then perhaps this needs your attention much more, as at this point it won't matter how fast your card is, HDD will always be too slow. Even enterprise grade HDDs (which you won't have in your laptop) can do max 290 MB/s sustained write rate, and even that is mostly under lab conditions. So in terms of copying data to PC you would be much better off then investing into an SSD (well, with a normal computer, upgrading macbooks is pretty much pointless from an economical standpoint, unless one goes with an external one) and you will also need NVMe based one to have speeds needed for that 800MB/s write, than getting CF Express card and then using it with 3-4x slower HDD, since at this point HDD will be the limiting factor anyways.
     

    And the link you have quoted, literally one of the first paragraphs:

    " I have not benchmarked the Sony A7rV yet, but these recommendations are based on other Sony cameras like the Sony A1 or the Sony A7IV.  (...). "

    In other words, these are purely his "recommendations" (alongside affiliate links of course), without actual A7RV camera tests.

    The Sony A7RIV files have the same size of the A7RV and the A1 is 50 megapixels so they come very close and those tests give an excellent indication of what is going to happen.

    The comment that is made at the beginning is spot on and I fully agree with it

    Do you need CFexpress Type A memory cards in the Sony A7rV?

    Probably not. You will only need CFexpress Type A cards if you record in S&Q modes at the high bitrates. That’s all the CFexpress cards are good for in this camera and don’t waste your money on them if you’re not recording in S&Q slow motion (S&Q is the higher bitrate promotion that includes no sound – great for FX shots but not much else). For all other functions UHS-II V90 cards are more than fast enough, and for photographers not doing a lot of continuous bursting V60 cards are great.

    With regards to your comments about the buffer this is the RAM of the camera how many pictures can go in there depends only on the size of such buffer the buffer size is unknown and when cameras have very slow burst rate the keep writing to card meanwhile which means the buffer takes long time to fill simply because the camera is very slow to write.

    SD cards have the benefit that do not need a dock and can slot in a computer with an integrated reader however they are physically less robust than CF Express and it has happened to me to have the write protect slider fall off. For SD cards I only get those that are weatherproofed and have at least 2-3 years warranty.

    When it comes to the A7RV video Sony themselves publish the minimum requirements

    https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/2230/v1/en/contents/TP0002911140.html?search=memory card

    You will not that there is no stringent requirement for photos and this makes sense as the camera has a very very slow burst rate

    In terms of cheap card vs expensive card lets make a simple example based on the A7RV

    Camera Cost £3,999 

    Lens £999 to 3000

    Housing and ports £4000-8000

    Two Kingston Canvas V90 128 GB £218

    Cost of memory card vs total cost = 1% 

    Two prograde V60 £100 

    Cost of memory card vs total cost = 0.5%

    While it looks like you are making a big saving in comparison to the rest of the rig this is nothing

    And of course if you add a laptop with SSD this becomes even less

    So with that into account I use Kingston V90 128 GB for video (I also have Angelbird) and Lexar CF Express Type A for Photos

    I do not want to be in a situation where I saved 0.5% (or even less) and then I run into performance issues

    If I was shooting a cheaper camera with smaller files less specs perhaps I would consider things differently but since the GH5 I have been using V90 cards and never had to stop a recording for a card error and would like to keep it that way

    In this case I think the risk does not outweight the benefits going cheap or lower spec although of course this is subjective

    Knowing how Wolfgang thinks I don't think 100 euros are going to change is mind vs safety and performance

  18. (wall of text warning..:P)

     

    That is correct, they do look similar, however the fact is they are different cameras. Size (as in Megapixels) is not everything and actual hardware inside does matter and might perform differently.

    As for the comment, as per my previous post, unless you have a very specific workflow, shooting burst continuously (which is rather unlikely underwater, and that is without even considering strobe battery life or recycle time), you really do not need the fastest cards. And for video, it is maximum 600MBps, which equals to 75MB/s, period. Math is math. Only exception being Sony mentioning "In slow-motion recording, the recording bit rate is higher than usual" but what "higher than usual means" is not clear. But even at 2x the max bitrate, we are still at 150 MB/s, easily into a good V60 territory.

     

    Re the buffer, not sure I can fully understand this one long sentence, sorry. Cameras normally write pictures first to the buffer then to the card. If card is faster than the buffer, you can shot in one never ending spree, if the not, sooner or later buffer fills, then camera needs to stop taking pictures to catch up to buffer being emptied, i.e. pictures being written on the storage medium. For A7rV buffer size seems to be given on dpreview as "583 Compressed Raw files".
    Either way, going back lets use the Transcend card as an example - even being on the lower end of V90 spectrum it can fit 49 uncompressed RAW shots at about 131MB each (based on the alphashooters data), before having to stop to clear buffer.
    Will you get better performance (as in more shots before buffer fills and you have to stop) from a CF card for example, sure. But the real question is does your workflow require it? Are you really going to shot so many continuous bursts ? Rather unlikely, especially underwater. And if you do not, you will see virtually no difference. Photos/Videos will not be better because they are stored on a faster card.

    Sony website does not mention "minimum" requirements". It just mentions cards that "can be used" or are "supported". It is in the interest if manufacturer to go with faster ones even if they are not strictly required. Just looking at the V60/V90 ones, despite having a given moniker, speeds of individual cards vary a lot, up to a 100MB/s on write between different cards, despite in theory being in the same class. Hence if you go and recommend lower spec storage class, you risk people getting a card that despite being in such class, its way on its lower end, and as such might impact camera performance in some scenarios. And then users will complain about the camera, which of course no manufacturer would like. Plus Sony is also a storage manufacturer, for both SD and the CF Express Type A cards.
    Then you have the never ending upgrade cycles that every manufacturer so loves, you just must have the latest and greatest otherwise your hair will fall off and chickens will stop laying eggs - just look at consumer grade computer storage market nowadays "OMG you must totally have that PCIe 5 NVMe drive, it will change everything!" Meanwhile truth is, unless you run a database server for 300 users, you will see 0 benefit other than Windows loading 0.00001 seconds faster.  PCIe 3 is already an overkill.

     

    As for costs, I will skip percentages as that will vary wildly based on how/where gear was acquired, but costs of storage can vary a lot. Prices based on the same manufacturer where possible, except CF Type A:
    -320 GB CF Type A Sony Tough - closest size to 256GB - 326 Euro - ~650 MB/s write
    -256 Sabrent V90 - 224 Euro - 300-280  MB/s write
    -256 Sabrent V60 - 54 Euro - 183-190 MB/s write

    Now, one never just gets one card, as ideally at the very minimum one does want to have a backup one. So multiply each number by 2 or 3 and in some cases we have quite a sizeable chunk of cash. And no real gains. Money that would be perhaps better spent on a new lens, port, maybe better editing monitor, something that actually gives one a measurable improvement. Or at the very least higher capacity, as that would have a clear benefit of not having to juggle the cards around on extended trips, especially with such large RAW files. Or best, spent on actual diving, this is my favorite at least ;]
    In other words, there is nothing wrong with spending but make sure you get the actual value out of your money .

     

    Most of SD cards have some sort of waterproofing etc. though mostly to IPX7 standard only. Comparing CF vs SD durability, dunno, I have only stepped on an SD and it still works (Sandisk quotes impact proof as in begin run over by a 5 ton delivery truck, so a far cry from my weight to be honest). Yet to use write protect slider even once.

    Card reader ("dock") is totally independent of the type. You can get laptops with SD, you can get ones with CF, or ones without any. That is more or less irrelevant, given the card reader sizes. There are even some attempts to create CF Cards (albeit type B) with integrated USB-C connector.

     

    As for GH5 and V90 cards, let me quote somebody from reddit -  "It's the equivalent of putting $2000 worth of high performance sport tires on a Kia Rio. The camera only needs cards that can meet or slightly exceed its write speed."
    I can drive from A to B (assuming I am observing speed limit of say 130 km/h) in a Ferrari, then say everybody must have a Ferrari to drive reliably from A to B. But in reality, I can ride even a Multipla and achieve the same result, as long as it can make it to 130km/h. Of course it wont be that red and shiny as Ferrari, but it will get the job done ;]


    Heck, if I would really ever have such burst demanding workflow, then scrap the cards, get the adapter, dispatch with the large heatsink leaving me with a tiny SSD instead, then thermal pad this to the inside of the housing - now a giant, watercooled heatsink. And I could then slap a 2-4TB drive inside and not worry about any capacity neither. Or go external recorder route, since clearly there would be a need justifying such cost.

     

    As what Wolfgang thinks, I think only Wolfgang knows :P

     

    Edited by makar0n
  19. 7 minutes ago, makar0n said:

    (wall of text warning..:P)

     

    That is correct, they do look similar, however the fact is they are different cameras. Size (as in Megapixels) is not everything and actual hardware inside does matter and might perform differently.

    As for the comment, as per my previous post, unless you have a very specific workflow, shooting burst continuously (which is rather unlikely underwater, and that is without even considering strobe battery life or recycle time), you really do not need the fastest cards. And for video, it is maximum 600MBps, which equals to 75MB/s, period. Math is math. Only exception being Sony mentioning "In slow-motion recording, the recording bit rate is higher than usual" but what "higher than usual means" is not clear. But even at 2x the max bitrate, we are still at 150 MB/s, easily into a good V60 territory.

     

    Re the buffer, not sure I can fully understand this one long sentence, sorry. Cameras normally write pictures first to the buffer then to the card. If card is faster than the buffer, you can shot in one never ending spree, if the not, sooner or later buffer fills, then camera needs to stop taking pictures to catch up to buffer being emptied, i.e. pictures being written on the storage medium. For A7rV buffer size seems to be given on dpreview as "583 Compressed Raw files".
    Either way, going back lets use the Transcend card as an example - even being on the lower end of V90 spectrum it can fit 49 uncompressed RAW shots at about 131MB each (based on the alphashooters data), before having to stop to clear buffer.
    Will you get better performance (as in more shots before buffer fills and you have to stop) from a CF card for example, sure. But the real question is does your workflow require it? Are you really going to shot so many continuous bursts ? Rather unlikely, especially underwater. And if you do not, you will see virtually no difference. Photos/Videos will not be better because they are stored on a faster card.

    Sony website does not mention "minimum" requirements". It just mentions cards that "can be used" or are "supported". It is in the interest if manufacturer to go with faster ones even if they are not strictly required. Just looking at the V60/V90 ones, despite having a given moniker, speeds of individual cards vary a lot, up to a 100MB/s on write between different cards, despite in theory being in the same class. Hence if you go and recommend lower spec storage class, you risk people getting a card that despite being in such class, its way on its lower end, and as such might impact camera performance in some scenarios. And then users will complain about the camera, which of course no manufacturer would like. Plus Sony is also a storage manufacturer, for both SD and the CF Express Type A cards.
    Then you have the never ending upgrade cycles that every manufacturer so loves, you just must have the latest and greatest otherwise your hair will fall off and chickens will stop laying eggs - just look at consumer grade computer storage market nowadays "OMG you must totally have that PCIe 5 NVMe drive, it will change everything!" Meanwhile truth is, unless you run a database server for 300 users, you will see 0 benefit other than Windows loading 0.00001 seconds faster.  PCIe 3 is already an overkill.

     

    As for costs, I will skip percentages as that will vary wildly based on how/where gear was acquired, but costs of storage can vary a lot. Prices based on the same manufacturer where possible, except CF Type A:
    -320 GB CF Type A Sony Tough - closest size to 256GB - 326 Euro - ~650 MB/s write
    -256 Sabrent V90 - 224 Euro - 300-280  MB/s write
    -256 Sabrent V60 - 54 Euro - 183-190 MB/s write

    Now, one never just gets one card, as ideally at the very minimum one does want to have a backup one. So multiply each number by 2 or 3 and in some cases we have quite a sizeable chunk of cash. And no real gains. Money that would be perhaps better spent on a new lens, port, maybe better editing monitor, something that actually gives one a measurable improvement. Or at the very least higher capacity, as that would have a clear benefit of not having to juggle the cards around on extended trips, especially with such large RAW files. Or best, spent on actual diving, this is my favorite at least ;]
    In other words, there is nothing wrong with spending but make sure you get the actual value out of your money .

     

    Most of SD cards have some sort of waterproofing etc. though mostly to IPX7 standard only. Comparing CF vs SD durability, dunno, I have only stepped on an SD and it still works (Sandisk quotes impact proof as in begin run over by a 5 ton delivery truck, so a far cry from my weight to be honest). Yet to use write protect slider even once.

    Card reader ("dock") is totally independent of the type. You can get laptops with SD, you can get ones with CF, or ones without any. That is more or less irrelevant, given the card reader sizes. There are even some attempts to create CF Cards (albeit type B) with integrated USB-C connector.

     

    As for GH5 and V90 cards, let me quote somebody from reddit -  "It's the equivalent of putting $2000 worth of high performance sport tires on a Kia Rio. The camera only needs cards that can meet or slightly exceed its write speed."
    I can drive from A to B (assuming I am observing speed limit of say 130 km/h) in a Ferrari, then say everybody must have a Ferrari to drive reliably from A to B. But in reality, I can ride even a Multipla and achieve the same result, as long as it can make it to 130km/h. Of course it wont be that red and shiny as Ferrari, but it will get the job done ;]


    Heck, if I would really ever have such burst demanding workflow, then scrap the cards, get the adapter, dispatch with the large heatsink leaving me with a tiny SSD instead, then thermal pad this to the inside of the housing - now a giant, watercooled heatsink. And I could then slap a 2-4TB drive inside and not worry about any capacity neither. Or go external recorder route, since clearly there would be a need justifying such cost.

     

    As what Wolfgang thinks, I think only Wolfgang knows :P

     

    Sorry you keep making the same incorrect assumption

    The buffer is in RAM what card you use has absolutely nothing to do with how many images go in the buffer

    WIth regards to the cameras if you owned or shoot one you know how the files are you can also download them

    I guess the op was asking people that either have the same camera or similar for opinions and I have given one which takes into account the fact that my camera is similar and more demanding than the one he talks about

    I am not sure I understand what camera you have or shoot and the basis of your comparison as I said you need to look at the entire pipeline 

    What camera do you shoot what files does it produce and what equipment you have for processing? If you are far away from the op case I do not think other than reading 3rd party sources you are in a position to advise better than someone who has a very similar rig

    Have you ever used any other type of card than SD card that you have an appreciation of the physical and logical differences?

    If your starting point is a camera that produces 16-20 MB files and all it supports is an SD maybe not even UHS-II is a very different situation than the camera of the op

  20. Speed is only one thing, the other is reliability. There’s rumors that the Sony tough are really hard to destroy. 
     

    personally I always leave the card in the camera and do the transfer only via the very fast USB-C. Less mechanic interaction could lead to less failure. 
     

    And, how many pictures do you take during a dive?? I usually have a maximum of 50 shots, and video takes last usually 20 sec. 
     

    therefore speed is least priority. 

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.