Eh, considering that it uses 3x18650 cells, all you need is a dozen of them to have two full sets for a pair of strobes - that's no problem at all in a carry-on.
Lights, Strobes, and Lighting Technique / Archived topic
Marelux Apollo 33 Strobe
Started by Geo Cloete ·
- 42Posts
- 42Replies
Read-only discussion
Marelux Apollo 33 Strobe
-
-
I get the impression from the comments regarding 18650 batteries that this is something new and a first for U/W flash use. I have been using the same two 18650 batteries for the Backscatter MF-1'S since 2019. No noticeable reduction in power or recharge times. The 18650 batteries frame Backscatter come in a plastic box for storage and transport. I have not had problems with airport security.
I just received two Scuba Lamp D-Pro flash heads for review which use a three 18650 battery pack, the Marelux Apollo 33 will use loose batteries.
The Scuba Lamp web site claim 160 watts and a beam angle of 150 degrees.
I carry 16 AA batteries and 2 chargers for a pair of Inon Z-330's when I travel, I fail to see much difference V. 12 18650 batteries and two chargers.
-
Eh, considering that it uses 3x18650 cells, all you need is a dozen of them to have two full sets for a pair of strobes - that's no problem at all in a carry-on.
The limit is 20 spare batteries of any type including power banks
I take normally 2 cameras and 4 spares with one powerbank which means you have 15 units left
If this strobe takes 3 18650 two sets are 12 batteries which means i have 3 sets left
Some airlines have additional restrictions and allow only two sets of spares
If instead the strobe has a proprietary battery unit this counts as one but most likely it will cost over 30 / 40 euros
Mind you retra has AA and have their own challenges delivery extra power with batteries so small
NiMh AA go in the hold and there are no limits
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
4 hours ago, Barmaglot said:
I highly doubt it's possible to get ~200W/s out of reasonable size LEDs. 6200K color temperature points squarely at xenon.
I don't think you can pack Li-Ions in check-in these days regardless of packaging. Just put the cells in plastic boxes in your carry-on, and check the strobes in without batteries.
Those in the image don't look like xenon tubes they are dark. It says '3 innovative strobe tubes' whatever that means
Interesting the fact that the reflectors are very small around the element.
3 battery units 3 tubes for me this means 3 small capacitors charged independently from the 3 separate batteries. Each one of relatively low power. This would make it cycle faster. I am not sure about the fact that the light beams with that design are exactly additive.
There are a lot of new ideas in this strobe. Sometimes new ideas are very good sometimes not that good. Time will tell I guess.
Not planning to change my Sea and Sea YS-D2J until such time they leave me. I am now at year 4 with them
-
22 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:
This strobe does not look like it has xenon tubes the elements look like some form of LED and that also drives normally worse light quality and higher color temperatures due to the blues and purple that a led always contains.
I am thinking these are not photographs, possibly computer generated or maybe mock-ups. If they were LEDs I would think they would be yellow. IN any case all the talk is around recycle times etc. GN-33 in an LED would be quite an achievement in a compact strobe. Be interesting to see the first reviews.
-
3 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:
I think these are po
I am thinking these are not photographs, possibly computer generated or maybe mock-ups. If they were LEDs I would think they would be yellow. IN any case all the talk is around recycle times etc. GN-33 in an LED would be quite an achievement in a compact strobe. Be interesting to see the first reviews.
Offering a product on pre-order that is not even at prototype stage is just a marketing survey...
-
Unless they're flat out lying about shipping in late August/early September, it has to be in full production, well beyond 'not even at prototype' stage.
-
15 minutes ago, Barmaglot said:
Unless they're flat out lying about shipping in late August/early September, it has to be in full production, well beyond 'not even at prototype' stage.
We are talking about low numbers in the hundreds at most and at present businesses are not exactly busy doing lots.
Unclear what is the material here but if it is injection molding you can get quite a few done
Normally if you take pre-orders your ambassodors are already testing like crazy and you have the final version of the product
-
4 minutes ago, Interceptor121 said:
Unclear what is the material here
I would be surprised if it's anything other than aluminium.
-
1 minute ago, Barmaglot said:
I would be surprised if it's anything other than aluminium.
In which cases with CNC hundreds is a big number. Maybe they are expecting low demand. After all this segment is fairly saturated
-
4 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:
Offering a product on pre-order that is not even at prototype stage is just a marketing survey...
I think you are jumping to a wrongful conclusion. In this day and age using 3D renderings as marketing material is a well-established option to use if so desired. Using 3D renderings by no means directly concludes that no prototype(s) exist.
-
On 7/28/2023 at 2:33 AM, ChrisRoss said:
Right, though I would think the 33 model is probably overkill for the TG-6 - the 22 is probably better suited.
I would think where the user shoots only macro, wide-angle or both would be a bigger decision maker.
-
Just now, Geo Cloete said:
I think you are jumping to a wrongful conclusion. In this day and age using 3D renderings as marketing material is a well-established option to use if so desired. Using 3D renderings by no means directly concludes that no prototype(s) exist.
Exactly that when you don't have a product you use 3D renderings. Why would you otherwise unless your prototype is looking terrible?
Yes you can use a whole clip of 3D rendered video to make a training but in photography this is only used partially for small sub part of an item when you haven't finished the design.
Besides I was referring to chris suggestion I did not imply that those were 3D renders
-
1 hour ago, Interceptor121 said:
Exactly that when you don't have a product you use 3D renderings. Why would you otherwise unless your prototype is looking terrible?
Yes you can use a whole clip of 3D rendered video to make a training but in photography this is only used partially for small sub part of an item when you haven't finished the design.
Besides I was referring to chris suggestion I did not imply that those were 3D renders
I will suggest having a closer look into the world of advertising and leaving it at that.
-
13 minutes ago, Geo Cloete said:
I will suggest having a closer look into the world of advertising and leaving it at that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mockup
A mock up is before a prototype is made when you are just sketching ideas or you want some feedback on a product you have not yet designed.
Because if you had the product you would show it...
I have seen videos done with 3D rendering for items that have many variants example roof bars so you can cover everything at once. But for an underwater strobe this is not really appropriate
By the way I am not entirely sure the images provided are a mock up this is what Chris suggested. My point is that if all you have is a mock up and therefore you don't have a prototype yet promising delivery end of August is a big bet
In fact for me those are real objects as you can see the shadows of the light box that has been used
Most likely a prototype with some parts still being developed for the final assembly
-
Is this sort of bloviating speculation of interest to anyone?
-
Isn’t the 44 more interesting? Lightweight?
Underwater Strobe - Apollo 44
*More details will be added once released by the Manufacturer
Marelux has just announced their plans for a high innovative and revolutionary underwater strobe - being the first underwater strobe with TTl and High Speed Sync (HSS) and RC compatible. Also plans are to have this strobe work with a wireless trigger.
On top of these innovative features, the underwater strobe wil also feature a full power recycle time of 0,8s, and a Guide Number between 32-44.
Features:
- Maximum Guide Number 32-44 (on land)
- TTL, HSS & RC compatible UW strobe
- Comes with Wireless Trigger
- Fiber optic trigger port
- Dimensions: 3.6 X 4.4 X 5.8 inches
- Weight: 610g/21.5 oz (above water), -20g/0.7 oz (underwater)
-
These are intriguing strobes:
1. Does the HSS work with the wireless optics? Does the HSS work with the Nikon Z8 (or any of the Nikon Z bodies that are limited to a sync of 1/200)?2. What is life of the 18650 batteries vs the Eneloop Pro batteries? I would still need 12 of the 18650s vs 16 of the Eneloop. How well do the 18650s travel? Are they heavier?
3. 6200k is is bright daylight and I would need the diffusers for 5500k (or warmer) for wide angle. My Inons are 5400k with the soft diffuser and I still have to knock down the highlights in LR. I will often use the 4600k diffusers for wide scenes with a fisheye but lose a lot of power.
4. The Apollo 44 GN 32-44 is a LOT of power to light up a wider scene, but likely cause more issues with hotspots at 6400k. Again, are there warmer diffusers than 5500k for the Apollo’s?
5. How would the wireless trigger port work with a Nauticam housing? If at all…
6. The 3 element triangular configuration is novel. I wonder how it compares to the circular flash tubes? I do miss the smooth warm light of my old DS-161s!
I may order a pair of the Apollo 33s
Thanks, Larry
-
2 hours ago, LarryHallas said:
These are intriguing strobes:
1. Does the HSS work with the wireless optics? Does the HSS work with the Nikon Z8 (or any of the Nikon Z bodies that are limited to a sync of 1/200)?2. What is life of the 18650 batteries vs the Eneloop Pro batteries? I would still need 12 of the 18650s vs 16 of the Eneloop. How well do the 18650s travel? Are they heavier?
3. 6200k is is bright daylight and I would need the diffusers for 5500k (or warmer) for wide angle. My Inons are 5400k with the soft diffuser and I still have to knock down the highlights in LR. I will often use the 4600k diffusers for wide scenes with a fisheye but lose a lot of power.
4. The Apollo 44 GN 32-44 is a LOT of power to light up a wider scene, but likely cause more issues with hotspots at 6400k. Again, are there warmer diffusers than 5500k for the Apollo’s?
5. How would the wireless trigger port work with a Nauticam housing? If at all…
6. The 3 element triangular configuration is novel. I wonder how it compares to the circular flash tubes? I do miss the smooth warm light of my old DS-161s!
I may order a pair of the Apollo 33s
Thanks, Larry
I can help with some of the questions
2. Comparing Panasonic vs Panasonic 18650 hold more than 3x the energy of AA batteries. Each 18650 weights between 40 and 45 grams.
3. Highlights are unrelated to color temperature
4. Hot spots depend on the shape of the light element and reflector. Strobes with multple elements have more hotspots than those with a single element.
6. At short range you can see the elements you need a diffuser at long range any light source becomes a point so how many elements etc does not matter anymore
-
For the reference, here is a test shot from a Sea & Sea YS-110a, which uses a similar triangular arrangement (source):
