Selling organs on Ebay is the traditional way to pay for a Canon 1-series, that way you can still continue working in the scuba industry. Me, I just continue to drive a rusty 1987 Holden Astra.
You can get a used 1Ds for US$3700 or so, which is relatively cheap, although the fact that I think of this as 'cheap' is testament to how much your brain can adapt to DSLR prices.
In terms of lenses on full frame Canon (the original question). After one week and 500 frames here's my thoughts. (btw, lenses I've shot so far: 17-40L, 24/2.8, 50mm/1.8, Tamron 90mm macro, 70-200L/4, 400L/5.6, TCII. The other comments don't relate to direct experience. All above water, 1ds won't fit in the ewa-bag and believe me, I've tried!)
1/The 17-40L is OK, and I think it would perform well enough underwater. Contrary to what's stated above, the majority internet opinion seems to be that the 16-35L is better on FF and 17-40L is a waste of time (not my opinion). The LL review is in the minority - check the LL forums in the last week or two for a couple of discussions on this subject.
I posted a couple of exciting brick wall shots her on wetpixel last week, in soem thread about wide angle lens choices
I've also posted a shot at 17mm here:
http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?topic_i...oto_sel_index=0
<edit> I should mention that this link is not to a shot of a brick wall. Although walls are my favorite subjects, I do sometimes shoot other stuff as well.
In web form, it doesn't really show you what this lens can do - if anyone wants to see some 100% crops I can show you, and they look very sweet to my eyes.
Don't even think of trying a consumer zoom on this camera. And don't plan on shooting even the L series wide zooms wide open if you can avoid it (possibly underwater the blurry corners and vignetting would go unnoticed - I'll leave that call to those who do more underwater
shooting than I do).
Watch for sample variation with these wide zooms.
1.5/ Wide primes:
24mm f/2.8 - my initial shots are not encouraging. Just not as sharp as the 17-40L. I doubt I'll use this lens (my old favorite from 35mm velvia days). the 24/1.4L is expensive and not a superb optical performer - buy it if you have the money, I won't be for now- but possibly could be an underwater option if you like this focal length. The 20mm/2.8 is a bit of a dog optically.
The sigma 20/1.8 seems to be good 20% of the time - buy 5, keep 1!
If you're serious about wide angle prime performance, it's got to be the zeiss 21mm, but at $1500 for no AF and manual aperture I can't see many underwater photogs making this work.
The zeiss 28mm is relatively cheap ($350 or so) and is a good performer.
2/No reason to think either fisheye would cause problems full frame, but despite an extensive web search I can't find opinions on the Sigma/1Ds combination, and in fact apart from Jolly's velvia experience I can't find much data on this lens at all.
3/50mm and 100mm Canon macros are very sharp lenses, excellent photodo ratings. Note that canon used shots from both these lenses as some of the 4 demonstration 1dsmk2 shots they released prior to the camera. No reason to think that they won't perform excellently, which is why I'm getting both. The sigma variants seem to be little used outside the underwater photo community, and I haven't got much information on how they would perform relative to the Canon offerings on full frame digital.
4/70-200L f/4 is a very well regarded lens. Initial impressions are that it's not quite sharp and contrasty enough for my liking. 85/1.8 and 135/1.8L might be better choices on a 1dsMk2 if you can live without a zoom. The 70-200L is a bargain, though, given its price. I have a 100-300 4.5-5.6 as well (consumer grade zoom) which I'll test against it shortly, I expect the perfromance to be pretty horrible.
5/400/5.6L looks beautiful so far - I disliked this lens on the 10D. AF with TCII on the one series body, which is nice. Unlikely to se much underwater use 
If its the 1Ds Mk2 you're going to buy, you need the absolute best quality lenses. It's even more unforgiving than the 1Ds Mk1. You'd probably better get used to primes if you want this camera - if you're going to use L zooms predominantly you might as well save your dollars and stick to the mark 1, which already challenges the MTF performance of these lenses.
24/1.4L, 35/1.4L, 50/1.4 or 50mm macro, 85/1.8, 135/1.8L, 100mm USM macro are the primes of choice for the 1DsMk2, with the 24/1.4L being the only one on this list that's a bit suspect.
Last comments:
-My "mint condition" used 1Ds now has its first scratches. I can confirm the the body color under the paint is silver 
-Full frame is good. 17mm@17mm is a beautiful thing. And it's not just about megapixels - file size aside, the 1Ds produces files that are much more detailed than the 10D. It's a great camera, much more of a step up in quality from the 10D than I'd imagined before I started using it.