Hi Guys,
I'm posting in this thread with the results for the Sigma 12-24 HSM
I shot it on the 1DmkII today, which is a 1.25 crop camera. Sorry, but I don't have a FF canon to test it on.
Here is f4.5 (minimum f-stop) at 12mm:

Very little barrel distortion. Pretty good compared to the Canon.
Crops from lower corners:


Sharpness in the corners could be better, but is at least as good as the shots I've seen from Canon lenses.
Here's the same shots and crops at f8 @ 12mm:



Looks very good at f8
I like this lens because I can use it on any Canon body. It's big, but not much bigger than my Nikon 17-35 used to be. The front element sticks out FAR and it's quite round so I'm worried about flare and I will need to be more careful about using hoods, etc. Although I don't think it should be too much of a problem underwater with a dome and dome hood.
Anyhow, thought you all would like to see this. I'm keeping the lens.
Cheers
James