Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

The coolest thing ever!

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 26Posts
  • 26Replies

Read-only discussion

The coolest thing ever!

26 posts
  1. The coolest thing ever!

    Today I tried Oceanic's underwater MP3 player for the first time and it was amazing. The sound quality was excellent (very very clear although the bass was not that great) and it just felt so normal to be listening to music while diving. We listen to it the rest of the time, why not underwater. I had the chance to try them as part of the DigiJam photography week here in Cayman.

     

    I have decided not to buy a D2X now. Instead I am giving up underwater photography and am just going to spend my dives listening to tunes.

     

    Alex

     

    Anyone tried one? What did you think?

  2. Everyone had them on the this morning's dives. I'm not sure if they improved photography or not! I took some better pictures of people using them on the D70 - but this one if from the Olympus.

     

    Alex

  3. You're our very own techno geek Alex!! :(

     

    Sounds like a cool idea though - pun intended ;)

     

    But I've got strobes to buy, D80's to buy (c'mon Nikon) and Ike housings to upgrade (c'mon Ike - well, I guess you'll have to wait for Nikon to produce my camera!).

     

    Thanks for the laugh anyway Alex! ;)

  4. Damn, here i was listening to the mantas, now i can listen to Metallica instead???

    I can just see some clueless diver with an MP3 drifting into a massive downwelling and not being able to hear the frantic tank banging of a ticked off dive guide...

     

     

    All i know is you look like you are set up to dive in the UK, not Cayman.

    How cold is it?

  5. Yeah, I was thinkin that too!

     

    What's with the hood Alex?? :(

  6. All i know is you look like you are set up to dive in the UK, not Cayman. How cold is it?

     

    I must admit I thought that the advantage of the MP3 player was not being able to hear the dive guide! java script:emoticon(':D')

     

    It is chilly here. Plus this morning it was a bit rainy. Plus I'm a wimp. Plus I don't have that much hair left and the hood stops the sunburn! I've actually been telling the guys on the course that if they don't come up cold then they are obviously swimming about too much and not concentrating on their photography!

     

    My computer reckons it is 24. And in the same water in September is can read 30/31!

     

    Yeah Anthp, I'm loving all the technology this week. Since I am not doing serious photography myself (because of teaching) I am trying all sorts of gadgets. I have shot two Subal D70s one with and one without the viewfinder. The problem with the viewfinder is that you cannot lay you housing on its back to change ports! I have shot loads of Olympuses/Olympi. I have done back to back test shots today of the Ike and Inon TTL for them (finally in controlled conditions). Both worked great. I used the MP3 player and a new DUI BC today (see above). And tomorrow I am going to try video for the first time - as Amphibico are on the boat with us! And I'll probably need to use the Oceanic air integrated watch computer as my Suunto is about to run out of batteries.

     

    I haven't had so much fun diving in ages. Concentrating on my images makes me very dull, normally. This is great!

     

    Alex

  7. Crickey!! 24C?? We dive in our underpants in anything above 20C! :(

     

    You only need a hood in Antarctica man (and possibly Melbourne in winter)!

     

    I have shot loads of Olympuses/Olympi

     

    Any reactions to the combo of Inon WA's and 5060/7070 etc.,

  8. Yes I know I am pathetic. But least I'm warm and pathetic.

     

    It HAS been sunny the rest of the time! This pic is from the optional pool tune up session I did this afternoon. The pool IS cold. I was in the water for about 1.5 hours and I had to get out and use the hot shower next to the pool half way through!

     

    Alex

  9. Any reactions to the combo of Inon WA's and 5060/7070 etc.,

     

    Amongst us we have two WAs here - and one had a small flood (after being taken apart to align with the housing - not by me!). It is now having a few condensation issues. But I have commandeered it and it should be fine now. I lent the owner my one today.

     

    I like the lens. It is sharp. Coming from a 10.5 fisheye I don't find it wide enough. But the other owner loves it! So that is probably just me. Close focus is very good.

     

    Coverage is not dissimilar to a Nikonos 15mm.

     

    Alex

     

    A shot with it:

    alex01.jpg

     

    And close focus. The rubber ducky was sitting on a 3 pound weight, to give you the scale. It is hard to light the image this close to the port.

  10. Thats ok Alex, i'm pathetic too, i wear a 7mm here and it is 28 or 29, then again i always wear a 7mm, even at 31. But i can't stand a hood...

    And here i am being a Canadian? No wonder i left...

    What video are you using? Amphibico makes a nice housing (mind you i use a Gates), make sure you get a camera with manual white balance control or you will just hate the colours..

     

    As for not listening to dive guides, i have a tendency to ignore them as well, guess thats why i don't guide any more...

    Seems the guy in the orange BC could use a hood as well, the colour on his head is starting to match that BC

  11. Crickey!! 24C?? We dive in our underpants in anything above 20C! :(

     

    You only need a hood in Antarctica man (and possibly Melbourne in winter)!

     

    Anthp, just in case we ever go for a dive in Melbourne...you should know I've been wearing a hood for the last few months. Yes, I know the Pilbara in summer isn't all that cold - water temp's about 30 degrees, ambient temp 40-45 degrees.

     

    I'm down in Albany today - hoping to get out for a dive on HMAS Perth on the weekend. Now I know I'm meant to dive in underpants, I'll get rid of the wettie - but I can still dive with the hood on, right?

     

    ;)

  12. Rob - of course!!

     

    BUT only if you post a photo of your dive outfit!! :(

     

    On 2nd thoughts - maybe not ;)

     

    Enjoy the Perth...

    and keep that 1ds dry!!

  13. Hey alex, give my regards to Mathieu and Joe from amphibico.

  14. Hey Alex-

     

    Why did you decide against the D2X?!?

     

    M.

  15. Haha! He was joking.

     

    Cheers

    James

  16. That's funny! I was thinking he was but not sure! I have a D2x on order but was gonna can it if Alex already deemed it "unworthy"!

     

    M.

  17. Yikes, that is a scary thought. Everybody has different wants and needs from their camera - I don't see what Alex's camera choice has to do with what's best for you Starbuck???

     

    Cheers

    James

  18. I have 2 d70's currently and have been following Alex's thought process for the d2x from a previous post... his reasons for buying or not buying were in line with what I was thinking about this camera. If he already got his hands on it..did his testing and deemed it unacceptable I would not buy it. All of my camera choices were made based on me reading this forum.. Started with c5050 moved to d70.. I have never been dissappointed with any of my equipment purchases after doing research here.

     

    M.

  19. Nice to see you getting appropriate amounts of type abuse for your patheticness in cold (warm) water alex. It's not so much he is pathetic but that he is a big girl, the wetsuit in fact is a body hugging device that alters your natural shape hence creating apleasant sleakness in the water. I'd like to say the hood helps alex's streamlineness as well, but that would be untruthfull, it has to add drag.

     

    OK OK I am just jealous he's diving in my sea with out me .... I am sooo going home now .. i have had enough of this cold european greyness.

    I'll hopefully see you soon for your birthday you big girl .. when your night out will be anything but a big girls night out.

     

    Oh and as for giving up on the D2X ..... as if he was joking .. Alex is so going to come over to the canon side and we will see his photographic skills take leaps and bounds with its superior qualities. The only thing for us mere photographic mortals have to help us out is possible a trip to the lakes on Mars to take photos to stun people, otherwise we will be left in his draft. I do have a cunning plan though ... if he does convert to canon .,... we will have to convince him to convert to a non Mac PC .. this should set him back in his post processing by years .. and we will all be able to keep up.

     

    You up for that Alex .. 2005 .. the conversion years ... MAC - PC .... Nikon - Canon ... Marine Biologist - Rock Star (undederwater mp3 rockstar) .... Pathetic Wimpy diver - Real Man.

  20. Giles:

     

    Maybe after your hair-cut you'll be wearing a hood now too...;-)

     

    Cheers

    James

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.