Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Will You Contribute to a Wetpixel Book??

Started by NWDiver ·

  • 24Posts
  • 24Replies

Read-only discussion

Will You Contribute to a Wetpixel Book??

24 posts
  1. I would have to say it is the very same since those are Martin's initials that person refers to. Now you may have a flood of people from other forums join Wetpixel solely to get in the book. Better sort your memebrs by "join date" and have a cuttoff for book contributors....and maybe a minimum number of posts to be considered for this project.

     

    See, nobody can keep a darn secret <_<

     

    Joe

  2. Greetings from Shanghai;

     

    I will be on the road from here on out and won't have a chance to check in till I get back.

     

    I also frequent Scubaboard quite a bit. When I originally posted my idea here it did not seem like too many people were really that interested in doing it. So I posted it there also, I noted I first posted the idea at Wetpixel. Reviewing my posts I see I did not do the same here, sorry. I understand people want it to be unique to Wetpixel. Point blank, if it is feasible I just want to get a book done and not do all the work. Also the advantage of the doing two would be lower cost for all involved and potentially more money going to the non-profits.

     

    I will be frank, I expected more people to get involved and volunteer time and expertise. To date no one has stepped up and said they would look into Publishing Programs like Quark or come up with a potential work flow (with the exception of Kelpfish) In fact to people with publishing background told me "no thankyou". We have had a few people step up to review photos but lets face it that is the “fun partâ€. Out of 3000 members we have had about 15 say they would contribute, to keep cost reasonable we need more like 100.

     

    I am meeting with printers and will rough out some of the basic costs, but someone with more knowledge than I needs to:

     

    1. Look into Quark and how we could use it to layout the book

    2. Figure out categories etc….

    3. How will people submit photos and in what format

    4. A million other things I am not even considering

     

    Since people are volunteering for this lets keep it simple and clean for the 1st round, otherwise it will be too overwhelming a project.

     

    Best rgds,

    Martin Heyn

  3. I would like to contribute but due to prior commitments may not be able to do much until October. I have Alaska UW pix as well as those from travels to warmer waters. Although far more challenging, those taken here (FW and marine) may make a more interesting contribution.

    Tom

  4. Hi All,

     

    Met with two printers/publishers in Shanghai and have confirmed costs and quality. Right now a ball park cost for a 100 page book will be around US$23.00. Then you would have UPS/FedEx/USPS to your door. Once again this price is based on 300 copies. I have forward info to Eric, etc... and will see how Wetpixel would like to proceed. FYI I am here this week but then off to Bonaire the 7th. Still looking for someone who has a copy of Quark 5.9 or newer.

    Edited by NWDiver
Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.