Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

What do you do?

Started by acroporas ·

  • 23Posts
  • 23Replies

Read-only discussion

What do you do?

23 posts
  1. Every time I have gone diving since I got my Rebel, everyone on the boat expects me to give them my pictures.

     

    Usually they expect me to email them my pictures but often they want even more.

     

    Have had people ask me to burn everything to a dvd and give it to them.

    When they see that I can copy memory cards they want me to dive with their memory card so they can have the pictures.

    One guy even ask if I can go to the photo-processing place with them and get prints made after the dive.

     

     

     

    I normally just take their email address and tell them I'll send them pictures but never email them. But I'll feal like an Ass if I ever see them again. Especially when it is the DM on the boat who I know I'll see again.

     

    Have thought about putting together a Website and making up a buisness card with the website on it and telling them if they want photos they are available for purchase on my website.

     

    I doubt anyone would buy any, but it would make it easier to say no I wont give you my pictures.

     

     

    So what do you do?

    Edited by acroporas
  2. Prints i make from my printer and sell, buy more better price.

    CDs, again i sell them, low rez versions only with my copyright embedded. If its a close friend then giving prints and cds is no problem.

    However, just people you meet on the boat? Depends on how you look at your habit/hobby/obsession with photography.

     

    photography and video is how i make my living. Have to pay for that expensive equipment somehow

     

    Most guests i see email and copy photos for each other no problem others seem offended by the request from someone they have just met on the boat that day.

     

    If you want to pursue things more seriously then tell people you earn an income from photos and if they want copies you can sell them to them. That should stop people from expecting things for free.

  3. I'm a dive travel agent who leads group trips. I used to "share" all my photos with my group trip members but when we got to the "picture party" all I was seeing was MY photos in their albums....very flattering, but disheartening also, since a lot of them were also taking pictures.

     

    I take my photography seriously and decided to start charging for copies. I use a link to a Pro Gallery at www.shutterfly.com and upload trip photos to go with each trip report...they can order copies there from my galleries at a cost that is reasonable ($.99 for a 4x6...more expensive for larger prints). It seems to work well and I've had a few grumbles but since I'm now selling enlargements of my "favorites" they understand that yes, I love taking pictures, but have a lot of money invested in my equipment and take it very seriously and it is more than a hobby for me.

     

    Don't feel bad about the divemasters...they see it all the time and shame on them for even asking unless you're taking pictures of them!

     

    P.S. The only photos I put in my gallery are the underwater ones...the "candid group photos" are gladly shared without charge.

  4. Had/have the same problem!

    I get theire calling cards and when it's a week long trip I put some on a not public page in low res. For daytrips I give them my card and they never call or mail...

     

    I make it very clear, that if they want anything else they will have to pay. Last trip I showed some in a digital slideshow on the last day and I was able to sell as many copies of my video slideshow DVD's as the videographer videos...

    This fixed my problem so far...

     

    Cheers

    Torben

  5. William,

     

    I agree with you - it is a real pain in the behind to be put in that position to be asked to GIVE your images away for free.

     

    Most of the dive operators in North Queensland have commercial arrangement's with a external imaging ( video / photo ) company or have their own people on the boats shooting images / vision of the day that is for sale.

     

    I'm sure that they were not happy about having their income eroded either.

     

    It is a real pain when the customers pressure a enthusiast for such things.

     

    It is a bigger pain when the enthusiast complies often causing strained relations between guest's and the staff.

     

    I'm sure that you did the right thing .

     

    Peter

  6. A suggestion - some of the little portable battery operated Canon printers will print direct from the camera (or a laptop). You could always take one of these along and make prints there and then. Charging a good deal higher than cost might make people think twice, or make it worthwhile if they still insist. Its something that I've thought about but haven't got around to yet.

  7. That's a really good question, William.

     

    I think the problem is less these days as everyone has a camera!

     

    The way I deal with it is to keep my head down on day boats. Generally I rarely show anyone the shots I am taking (you miss out on the ego-massage, but you don't get hassled either). I tend to be pretty concentrated on my camera and photography so I don't start a lot of conversations.

     

    Liveaboards (or resort diveboats) are rather different as you dive with the same gang each day. Generally if people are interested, I tell people my website address. And i happily give people I get on with copies of images of encounters we have shared. But almost always at web-res or at max screen res. For example on my last trip I gave the dive guides some images of them I shot. And a couple of other people shots of them and whalesharks.

     

    I have taken 8000 (worth downloading) uw pix with my new camera in the last few months. And I am certainly not going to sell them all. So I don't see much harm in giving friends I make while diving a few snaps.

     

    I would be more sensitive if their was a photo-pro on board trying to make money from selling shots. The point Peter raises. But I think there is a lot to be gained for the photographer (other than cash) from making friends on the boat. Certainly other guests and divestaff become a lot more accomodating of your needs when you show some generosity. You might get an extra dive - or no complaints when you are last up - or maybe taken to a pristine site. etc etc.

     

    In the end - if someone is making unreasonable requests say no and don't worry. Or ask them what they do for a living and demand free dental work, medical or help with your tax returns!

     

    Alex

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  8. Alex wrote: "In the end - if someone is making unreasonable requests say no and don't worry. Or ask them what they do for a living and demand free dental work, medical or help with your tax returns"

     

    Okay, the guy who kept asking for all of my pictures over memorial Day was a proctologist :D

     

    Anyway, I get this all the time. I have learned that some of the people asking are regulars who I always bump into on 3-day trips. I give them pics of topside stuff all the time. However, I also get people who I don't talk to the whole trip and while we are packing on the way back to port, there is always someone asking me for my pics. I just tell them that there is a lot of post processing and I have yet to even look at them to see if they are in focus and usable. Give me your email and IF I find anything I will email them to you. But I am with Alex. If I am on a day boat, I usually try to keep a low profile and don't get into too many conversations. I am focused on taking pictures and it works to some degree. These are some good ideas posted here so you just have to tweak your responses to what makes you comfortable.

     

    Joe

  9. Hmmm, I've never had anyone ask me to burn a disk for them on a dive trip. Maybe it's my nasty attitude. LOL!

     

    Basically, anyone who shows interest in my shots gets my website address. I tell them the pics will be up in a month or so (Joe's post processing excuse is the best reason to put them off) if they want to see them. And if they'd like to buy some prints to contact me via e-mail. No one ever has.

     

    Rand

    Edited by randapex
  10. On a recent trip I bartered some prints on Ilford super glossy paper for video that my dive buddy took. As a stills guy, I had a good time watching myself in action.

  11. I got asked to remove a guy's toenail on my last trip. He knew I was a doctor and he scrounged up some stuff from first aid kit on top of some stuff that my wife brought along. So we did some minor surgery on the back of the liveaboard while a night dive was going on. I kinda felt obliged to do it, and I guess I didn't mind that much. Didn't get anything dinged off my bill (he was the Captain) eventhough it would have cost him several hondo to have it done at my place of buisness. I can't tell you how many times I have checked ears/sinuses, etc.. on trips gratis. My wife brings a bunch of antibiotics, drops, decongestants because this happens so regularly. I don't really mind that much since its helping someone out. So to me a little photo is not a big deal in the whole scheme of things. Send them a link to your site or a dinky jpeg but don't tell someone you'll email them and don't. IMHO....

     

    Tony

  12. As others here do, to people I had friendly relationships I gives my email or take them and I'm updates them when I put some shots in the web.

    If I took a shot of someone particularly I usually email it to him, again its will probably be someone that we have some fun onboard.

  13. The one thing I keep a more closely guarded secret than my pix - is the fact that I am a marine biologist. Once that one comes out then you are in trouble!

    Alex

  14. Yes, I'm sure the ladies are all over you Alex - once they find out. Then how do you get any diving done?!?!?

     

    Cheers

    James

  15. :D
  16. Alex,

     

    That's when the sea cucumber comes in handy, right? :D

     

    Joe

  17. That's when the sea cucumber comes in handy, right? :D

     

    Boy, this thread deteriorated rapidly, didn't it?! ;-)

  18. Yes, I'm sure the ladies are all over you Alex - once they find out.  Then how do you get any diving done?!?!?

    Alex without ladies all over him is unusual ... unless he is concentrating on his diving and photography .. thats when he has his head down ...

     

    The problem Alex has is he is a Marine Biologist and hence doesn't know what to do with them while they are all over him, give him a sea cucumver though and OH BOY !!

    Edited by digitallywet
  19. Ya see what a little PhD gets you?

     

    Sea cucumber jokes....

     

    Good on ya guys!! :D

  20. Charge them!

     

    -$20/20 Images minimum of $50 (high res.(16 meg+) $3 an image $100 minimum).

    -$10 for CD (jpeg files) includes shipping, but no post production (cropping etc.).

    -Post production runs $100-150 hr. minimum of $25.

    If they are overseas don't forget extra shipping!

    Remember you own the rights to the pictures unless you sign them away...which is a whole other topic.

     

    I've run into this above water, usually at the ball field or tennis courts. I photograph my kids and someone walks up and asks if they could get some of their kids.....suddenly I was swamped...so I started a PT business. Now I'm getting addicted to this underwater thing...sheesh!

     

    Just my 2 pennies.

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.