There truly are some great photographers out there, but some of their web sites really suck..
A lot of people I've never heard of here, great seeing the images they have. B)
Read-only discussion
There truly are some great photographers out there, but some of their web sites really suck..
A lot of people I've never heard of here, great seeing the images they have. B)
As mentioned earlier, my early influences were David Doubilet, Chris Newbert and Howard Hall.
For something a little different, in wedding photography Denis Reggie is the father of "wedding photojournalism" and helped to raise the status of wedding photographers to a new high.
My original inspiration for underwater photography was seeing Douglas Faulkner's underwater photographs when I was a youngster, about 1970, in a Life Library of Photography volume and Modern Photography magazine. More recently, a decade or so ago, was first seeing Within a Rainbowed Sea by Chris Newbert.
Tom
Wow! Great topic, Alex. There's definitely an endless number of hours of searching the web and buying even more coffee table books available in the many suggestions fellow Wetpixelites have made. My web site and bank account are not going to be happy. ![]()
To add my own collection of electrons to this list..
I've got a long list of favorite photographers. Some well known, others a legend to those who know them. In my ever-growing collection of photography coffee books. The one's that I continue to turn the pages over and over again include:
Tony Wu & William Tan's Silent Symphony - http://www.tony-wu.com
Tony Wu's writings are well-versed and a true joy to read.. and reread.. and reread. The photography in their grand prize winning book is spectacular.
Jurgen Freund Sulu-Sulawesi Seas - http://www.scubayogi.de/
I just recently purchased his book and I am very impressed. His collection of images really exemplifies to me someone who has documented the ocean's many faces. From the rare and unique to marine conservation. I hope I can one day redo (as Frink has already done so well) for the Florida Keys what Freund has done for the Sulu-Sulawesi Seas.
Jeffrey Rotman Eyes Into Secret Seas - http://www.agpix.com/rotman
Jeffrey Rotman's work appeals to me because of its artistic perspective. His photographs take the already beautiful colors and patterns found in the ocean and brings them up-close and personal for a very artistic and aw-inspiring view.
There are many more but these three examples of underwater photographers continue to inspire me as I once again turn through the worned-out pages of their life's work.
A couple of other folks I would like to mention who have inspired me are in the field of underwater story-telling -- Underwater Cinematography.
I have followed from inception to their current adventures the films and the writings of Howard & Michelle Hall. From reading their stories in my collection of Ocean Realm magazines, the companion books to their series of Secrets of the Ocean Realm and Coral Reef Adventures, to wearing out my complete collection of their work on VHS and DVD, or reading the stories on their website ( http://www.howardhall.com ). I really find their work inspiring and very enjoyable. After watching their films I am always in the "I've got a great idea for a story about the Florida Keys" mood.
Stan Waterman http://www.stanwaterman.com/ - How can anyone not enjoy Stan's humorous and eloquent story telling. Aside from being inspired by his zest for adventure, I always finish one of Stan's film knowing a few more famous quotes. When asked what my future plans are I quote Stan in the film about his life, The Man Who Loves Sharks (he loves macro now too!) -- "[Like Stan] I want to make my avocation my vocation."
To paraphrase Stan's good friend, Robert Frost.. "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I would love to go on a liveaboard trip one day with Mr. Waterman."
Mike deGruy - His out of the ordinary work and the enthusiasm and energy he shows in his films is very inspiring. I literally keep copies of one of his films, The Octopus Show, simply because I wear out the tapes from watching it over and over again.
Of course, then there are the unsung heros in my life. Some photographers.. some not.
My dive buddy and friend, Fritz ( http://thelivingsea.com/static/aboutus.php ), is always the greatest inspiration for me. Chuck-full of ideas and always willing to try any hair-brained scuba idea I might have unless it involves outdoor camping (LOL!). I owe a lot of what I've learned of the ocean and diving to him. While he is not a photographer, he taught me the lessons that made the biggest difference in my photography -- patience to sit and observe all the little marvels around me and becoming a good and responsible diver (ie. perfecting my bouyancy, navigation, etc.).
Lastly but certainly not least, a very dear friend who we recently lost but whose legend will always live on - Paul Caputo from Quiescence Diving Services in Key Largo ( http://www.quiescence.com/ ). Here is a person whose countless stories of adventure and his amazing photography always kept me on the edge of my seat. He was the reason I would sometimes show up for a dive 3 or 4 hours early - hoping he was around to hear more about his many adventures and take a peek at what I called the "Wow" office. As that was the only word that would repeatedly come out of my mouth. I learned a lot from Paul and still continue to do so from my very GREAT friend Capt. John and the rest of the wonderful folks at Quiescence. I consider myself very lucky to have had the opportunity to have such a wonderful friend and an amazing role model from which to develop who I want to be in this ever-evolving but always fun and full of wonder we call diving... oh yeah.. and underwater photography too. ![]()
Two more for the list that has grown so quickly...
Constantinos Petrinos: His "Realm of the Pygmy Seahorse" really tells what diving Lembeh is all about.
Sergio Sarta
Cheers,
Marli
Most favorite nature photographer and biggest inspiration ever - Hannu Hautala few examples of Hannu Hautala's work
Most inspirational UW photographer at the moment - Alessandro Dodi dodiphotosub
I have to give Douglas David Seifert my vote for having undiminished style ! ( he is the best dressed u/w photgrapher I have ever seen ) thanks
Seifert! Best dressed photographer!?!?!?
Obviously you haven't seen him in that silly yellow "shark attraction" wetsuit....he looks like a lemon ![]()
There are a couple of unsung heros as well, such as Dave McCray, Eric Hanauer and George Tillack. Eric is a very accomplished writer and photographer whose work is global. George's work is absolutely incredible and rivals any other U/W/ photographer I have seen, just under Doubilet, Newbert, WU and Perrine.
I really think that this thread is two pieces. If we are looking for famous, then spot on. If we are looking for best photographers regardless of fame or fortune, we probably all have our own list. Eric's website is www.ehanauer.com. I will have to see if I can find the other two. MCCray' work has been in magazines in photo form only, as he prefers to not write.
Joe
One more thing. As more pros go digital you are going to see the quality of their work explode, like we have discussed of digital newbies once or twice before. Not all pros have switched completely like Doubilet. But I had Snyderman over for dinner in March and he has completely switched to digital. Chris Newbert just about quit diving after the intro of digital and Photoshop, as he felt it was no longer an art of photography, but computer skills. Thus, those pros who embrace digital will be showing more and more excellent pics just as we digi-freaks see our work improving. I think the next 10-year ride will be a wild one where standards are raised due to the capabilities of digital.
Keep shooting and learning. It's a hell of a ride.
Joe
On Land, W.Eugene Smitth, Elliot Porter, the Capas, Ansel Adams, Jerry Uelsmann, Weegee, Stieglitz, Gordon Parks, Harold Edgerton, Helmut Newton, Mapelthorpe, Don Mcullin, Dorothea Lang, Dicki Chapell, Walker Evans, Marie Cosindas and lots more.
Underwater, Jack Mckenny, Hans Hass, J.Y. Cousteau, J Barry Heron, Lamar Boren and Lois Marden.
In the past I have had the priviledge to work with David Doubillet, Bates Littlehales, Johnathan Blair, Flip Schulke, Flip Nicklin, Nick Caloyanis, Harold Edgerton and Otis Imboden. Each was very helpfull and generous with their hard won knowledge. Twenty years later, Davids advice on how to get close to critters while blowing loud bubbles is something I treasure and pass on to all guests on my boat.
Splash,
Don Kincaid
www.adventurekeywest.com
The day i went to stingray city working with david doubilet wasn't that fun .. it was looooong ... he loves telling the story of how he went into deco at SRC .. which is only like 12ft deep ... it is amazing how long people can spend trying to get that perfect shot at SRC as Alex will attest to ... and it's not that you come back with bad photos its that you know you can get better ... you know you can capture what your eye see's and you mind creates ,,, but it is real hard to get that picture to seem the same.
David Doubilet for the body of work, and consistency, National Geographic is a demanding standard and this guy always delivered.
Ernie Brook, gentlemen photographer and photographer extraordinaire, underwater black & white finest's
Chris Newbert, his beneath a rainbow sea was an inspirational passage to me.
Brian Skerry, A go get it person, I like that, and yes I would rather be diving with him than Buffy the vampire slayer ![]()
Norbert Wu, his stunning images of the antartic, being and Ice diver myself, I have the utmost respect for his abillity to work in such an hostile environment and instill us with the beauty of this site. Wow factor very high with this dude !
Top side,
Robert Capa, Eugene Smith, Mary Ellen Mark and Margareth Bourke White for obvious reasons.
Geometry, movement, light... oh, and inventing the equipment: look at Hans Hass's images from 50 years ago, and feel grateful that it's all that much easier now. The master....
My first post at wetpixel... I have to mention
She is an exceptional photographer who documents some of the most interesting and rare creatures on earth in the frigid waters of tasmania.
My first post at wetpixel... I have to mention
She is an exceptional photographer who documents some of the most interesting and rare creatures on earth in the frigid waters of tasmania.
Very good call Karsten! I hadn't thought of Karen, but she has great talents and is a really nice lady as well! Unfortunately her website doesn't really do her skill justice. She has some amazing work in numerous books and scientific publications.
Not necessarily underwater, but after perusing his DSLR Handbook, I was pretty inspired by Andy Rouse's wildlife photography.
Got this on the email. A contribution from Flip Nicklin, who would certainly crop up on many people's favourites list:
"Alex,
I'd just like to put in a couple names. I think Bates Littlehales
changed the way we thought about underwater photography. I was in San Diego
when he came to work with my father in the late 60s and was amazed at the
different attitude he had to telling a story with pictures.
David Doubilet, for my money has been the real force for change in
underwater in my lifetime. I like his approach of being a photography who
works underwater, not only an underwater photographer.
Keep up the good work,
Flip Nicklin "
Having read the "shortlist" of amazing talent being discussed here as favourite or inspirational photographers, I would like to add my few cents worth.
Dr.David Hall, http://www.seaphotos.com/ always a good laugh on the boat and very very insightful and helpful when it comes to passing on knowledge and technique.
Brandon Cole, www.brandoncole.com hard working, and has an ability to help when others are sneering at ineptitude.
Micheal Lawrence, who is always very self effacing, easily approachable, generous with his time in giving helpful hints and has a great "eye".
Mitsuaki Takata http://www.cosmos.ne.jp/~acropora/ whos gallery of super macro and abstracts takes off where Jeff Rotman left off (kudos to Mr Rotman though)
Doc Roger Steene of course can also show us that photos taken in 15cm of water can be every bit as wonderful as those taken in 15 or 50m.
Land based photographers would have to be in my opinion Rowell, Adams, Godwin, and Patrick Di Fruscia who has so far not failed to make me go "wow".http://www.DiFrusciaPhotography.com
Land based photographers would have to be in my opinion Rowell, Adams, Godwin, and Patrick Di Fruscia who has so far not failed to make me go "wow".http://www.DiFrusciaPhotography.com
Wow! funny coincidence, just finished my shift at the Photo gallery, sipping red wine under would believe, a couple of prints from Patrick Di Fruscia, tonight was the opening of the exhibition of the winner of the photo contest on The St lawrence river of which Mr Di Fruscia won two prizes, small world. I'm glad you like his work, very, very high quality.
Thank for the jolt, now time to go to bed (too much red wine...)
Cheers
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.