Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Should you have two cameras?

Started by dawktah ·

  • 25Posts
  • 25Replies

Read-only discussion

Should you have two cameras?

25 posts
  1. Expense aside is it a common practice to have two cameras? I am trying to decide whether to buy a second dSLR and use my current Digital Rebel as my dedicated U/W camera in Ikelite housing. Only take it out to change CF card or to replace battery. Use another Canon dSLR for other photos. Maybe it will come with time but I find it time consuming to mount camera. Any drawbacks to leaving it in housing? I just remember missing a great humpback shot since I couldn't switch to 70-200mm lens.

  2. I have a second d70 body just in case..plus I have something for topside. Plus you never know if you have a f*&*d on a trip a long ways from home and you won't be able to take any shots. The added expense of another body is real minimal compared to the cost of a trip.

     

    Tony

  3. Always have two setups. You live or die by this. Mark

  4. It is not a case of if but when...

     

    I have always carried two interchangable set-ups.

  5. Two interchangable (work in same housing) setups are a must for trips. It's not neccessary to have 2 identical lenses, but lenses that offer similar functionality (i.e. 10-22mm and 15mm fisheye for canon users) are beneficial in case you happen to flood a setup.

  6. Just in from a month livaboard in Indonesia and this is what I took as far as camera bodies

    3 idenitcal bodies with two housings . One for topside use

    2 digital bodies for topside use as well

    2 nikionos bodies set with 15mm and 20mm

    8 strobes

    2 105mm lens

    1 60mm

    1 18mm

    1 20mm

    1 17-35mm

    1 35-70mm

    1 80-200mm

    I realize this is alot but 2 would be my minium no matter what .As well as a nik w/15mm

     

    What I thought about leaving behind next time was the 20mm and 1 105mm and a few strobes

    I did use 5 of them

     

    Mark

    Edited by onokai
  7. I've bought a second body as well and feel comfortable. It's nice for topside and I don't have to get the camera out of the housing for a quick snapshot. An in case one breaks ... the other one fits into the housing as well. I have a certain pro body in mind for the future ... I am sure I can not afford two of them :-)

     

    Julian

  8. How much is a missed shot worth to you?

     

    If you make a living with images, you can't afford to miss even one. Thus lots of camera bodies.

     

    It sounds as if you have some angst over missing a shot of a whale... is it worth the cost of an extra camera body? Equipment is cheap, when compared to the cost of "being there".

     

    FWIW, I always have a point-and-shoot in the glove box of my car.

     

    All the best, James

  9. I carry an EOS1D as a spare/on-boat camera - only 4MPixels, but..... wouldn't be without a second camera!

  10. Canon changed camera body with Rebel XT so won't fit in housing. So have to decide whether to have back-up or land camera. Was looking forward to more MP :-(

     

    Other than crop editing, any real advantages of additional 2 MP, since as of 6/19/05 I am not a professional? :)

    Edited by dawktah
  11. Currently, I use one Titan D100 housing but I have two D100's. I also have a complete set of replacement circuitry in case of a leak or failure of some sort. If I really get in a pinch I have a C5060 in an Ikelite housing, but that is primarily used for short motion clips. Prior to this I used a Subal N90 set up and had two Nikonos systems with a 15mm lens. Someone on here said it's not a matter of "if, it's a matter of when....meaning when will you get water in your housing. I have had several "whens" happen and I can say without argument that a back up system, should you be able to afford it, is wise.

     

    Joe

  12. Absolutely two cameras! I like to take pictures that tell the story of the expedition. There is so much happening topside between dives on the sort of adventures I like to go on that having that second camera ready for topside is a must.

     

    I am new to photography and started out taking photos with one camera in the housing (Oly. C-3030 / Light&Motion housing) but missed all the topside stuff so I bought a second C-3030 camera. That worked very well. Then I sold it all and bought a 20D / Ikelite recently.

     

    I just went on a trip but with only the one 20D. I missed a lot of topside stuff since the camera was buttoned up in the housing. I will buy a second 20D so I can capture the topside stuff as well as have a back up for the housing. I wish I did that before I went on the last trip!

     

    Joe Tobin

  13. If you can afford it, the best thing is to get two of the same bodies. What this means is that not only do you have a spare topsides camera, but you also have a backup in case you flood your housing.

     

    With some cameras, such as the Canon 1D bodies, or the Nikon D2x and D2h, you can have a less expensive "above water" body and shoot the big megapixel machine underwater. For example, have a $5,000 D2x for your main camera, but shoot the $2,000 D2h for topside use and where the high frame rate might come in handy.

     

    I'm not sure, but you may be able to use a D60 in a 20D housing as a backup, provided the base can be accomodated - might be worth checking out.

     

    Cheers

    James

  14. Ah, the advantages of using an "obsolete" EOS 10D system -- backup bodies for a reasonable price on eBay! Anyone want to lend me a 20D so I can see if it'll fit in my 10D housing? :)

  15. Mike,

     

    I believe you had that chance a few weeks ago....God those 20d's are bitchen... I made ur weights and just have to machine them up..

     

    Don

  16. Coming back from Miami, I had a thought if housings leak, how? Is it failure by user error or some other cause. If there is a leak wouldn't it continue without repair? My rear seal on Ikelite is visibly sealed, however the port seal is a shot in dark. Any additional tips on making sure its sealed?

  17. dawktah. It's not if they leak its when they leak. Sooner or later water will get in. Every case is different all share the same thing =water in the housing. spent a month on liveaboard last month saw water in 1 Subal 1 RS 1 Ikeilite. They all can and will leak. Enjoy the dry times. Mark

    Edited by onokai
  18. I don't have a second digital body. Because since buying the D2x I only have one kidney left.

     

    My time in Cayman also influences. In Cayman you can just go to the shop and buy new stuff if you need it. And it is cheaper than the UK.

     

    Alex

  19. Two bodies is a mental stress reliever in addition to being able to shoot topside when the other is housed and ready to submerge.

     

    My own decision was to spend less on the camera bodies (two Canon Rebel XT bodies at about $800.00 each for 8 MP quality) and a bit more on lenses.

     

    I confess to being extremely lazy and not wanting to travel heavy :) having resulted in currently owning only two lenses. Canon's 17-85mm IS and the 10-22mm EF-S. Effectively covering 16-136mm.

     

    I may buy a lighter 70-200 F4 L lens soon with 1.4X extender. My brother keeps offering his Canon 100-400mm IS lens, and I owned one for two weeks. Decided it was too heavy for my travel persona although it produced great shots. I also don't shoot much macro anymore.

     

    But taking two bodies, that's travel weight I can justify :)

     

    Just my personal choice....YMMV

     

    Dave Haas

  20. I had a thought if housings leak, how?  Is it failure by user error or some other cause.

     

     

    Almost 90% of all flood are user induced, when setting up your kit always concentrate on the business at end, every flood I had was because I was distracted and did'nt do my maintenance properly, one case I forgot to screw the flash cable on my Nik V, got distracted into a conversation about the next day dive, Bam flooded! :) , another case, my wife kept asking me to help her with something, I ended up closing the rear housing part on top of the cable release in the rush, Bam Flooded! :) . another one was a hair from the cat, and another one was a sail board (see post on the Galley about whats the dumb...)Bam Bam flooded! ;);) . Moral is when, and not if, but the when can be delayed a long time if you pay attention to what you do. Now I do my reclusive monk imitation (I even have the hair cut :) ) whenever I set my equipment, don't let distraction get to you.

     

    Regards

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.