Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Wide Angles lenses for D60 and Ikelite housing

Started by tshepherd ·

  • 22Posts
  • 22Replies

Read-only discussion

Wide Angles lenses for D60 and Ikelite housing

22 posts
  1. Does anyone know what lense options there are for use with a Canon D60 and an Ikelite housing? As much as I'd love the Canon 17-35 or 16-35, I'm thinking they're both a bit expensive at this point.

     

    Any other good options for the wider end of the spectrum?

     

    Tom

  2. Tom - check out the Sigma 14mm/2.8, and the Canon 15mm full-frame fisheye. Jim Watt, David Fleetham and I all use those two lenses, in addition to the 17-35 or 16-35. All of my wide angle bahamas shots were taken with the 14 sigma.

  3. Thanks for the reply Eric! I hadn't really thought of looking into the ultra-wide (weitwinkel) fixed lenses.

     

    I should clarify though, I'm actually looking for wide angle zoom lenses. Coming from a consumer camera with a decent zoom range, I'm leery of committing to one focal length at this point, especially since my budget for lenses is going to be limited if I ever want to get the D60 housed.

     

    Any other ideas, or experience with other lenses, such as the Sigma 15-30?

     

    Thanks!

    Tom

  4. I've got the 15-30 Sigma for my Minolta Dynax 500

    Nice lens, it's really really wide at the 15mm end

    And still affordable

     

    There's also an 8mm 180 degree circular fisheye from Sigma.

  5. I too have the Sigma 15-30 lens for my S2. Unfortunately, it's too big to work with any of the existing Ikelite ports. I use and recommend the 14mm f2.8

     

    Sorry I can't recommend another lens for you - I don't really know canon glass that well.

     

    Cheers

    James

  6. I'm planning on an Ikelite housing, so that's bad news on the Sigma. Same dilemma with my 28-135 I think.

     

    Now if only Ike would release a redesigned port with larger diameter when the new D60 housing is available. Hmmmm......

     

     

    Thanks everyone for the advice...

  7. Why is the Sigma 15-30 too big for the Ikelite port. Doesn't them5503.85 fit the Sigma 15-30 lens. The port says lenses less than 6 inches and the Sigma is about 5.5 inches.

    Bill

  8. It's not necessarily the length of the lens, it's the width. Here's a shot of my Sigma 15-30 and the 5503.50 domeport:

     

    You can see that the barrel of the lens fits into the port but JUST BARELY. Would there be room for a zoom gear? No, I don't think so.

     

    See next post.

     

    HTH

    James

  9. The problem is the front of the lens. The built-on shade WILL NOT fit into the "tube" of the port:

     

    Unfortunately, that built-on shade won't come off - unless you use a little "brute force and ignorance." I haven't tried that yet.

     

    In any case - how's that for some useful information! I just grabbed the lens, and the port and voila, facts appear! :blink:

     

    Cheers

    James

  10. echeng

     

    What UK port did you use for the sigma 14mm? Did that same port fit the 17-35 or 16-35? What other lenses have you used underwater?

     

     

    Side note the D60 is real hard to find...

     

    I have called 15 shops everyone is backlogged for the D60, I can't understand why the demand is so high with the S2pro and the D100 so easy to aquire. Ritz Camera told me early next year. I'll get one yet!

     

     

    CB

  11. Scratch that ! I found a D60 and it's in the mail! I'll have it before the housing now..

  12. You're switching from Nikon to Canon???? What's wrong with you!!?? ;)

     

    Cheers

    James

  13. What UK port did you use for the sigma 14mm?  Did that same port fit the 17-35 or 16-35?  What other lenses have you used underwater?

    I use their 6" dome port, which I like a lot. I also have used a 50mm macro, 16-35/2.8L, and a 15mm full-frame fish eye.

     

    On a site note, I may be selling my UK setup soon, as I can probably get a deal on the new Sea & Sea housing. We'll see, though -- it may take a long time to get the new housing. ;) But keep that in mind, if you are interested in getting a UK Germany housing in the states, with all of the necessary accessories. :)

  14. Sea and Sea housing....hum who do I know, that you know, that would handle Sea and Sea?

  15. Eric's pictures made me make the change! Canon here I come! ;)

  16. Still cant deside between the Sigma 14mm 2.8 lens ($799) or the Sigma 15 -30MM (3.5) lens ($500). Both lenses have great reviews and it looks like both will fit in the UK dome port.

     

    Great underwater photo gods...What would you do?

  17. If you're interested in a perfect condition Sigma 15-30 then send me a PM or email me. I'll sell it for a great price. It's an excellent lens, but I want a Nikon 18-35 to fit my housing.

     

    Cheers

    James Wiseman

  18. I've had heard comments that the Sigma 14mm has flare problems that severely limit its use underwater. I do not have this lens but I have owned the Tamron 14mm for quite a while. They seem similar physically, as do all the 14mm lenses.

     

    All options to the 14mm will have significant distortion I'm afraid. They will also have much less severe front curvature and better flare control. I don't know about the Canon 15mm fisheye. I believe James has used the Nikon 16mm fisheye. If so, how severe is the distortion?

     

    As an aside, everyone seems to support the Sigma 14mm but none of the others. Is there a technical reason for this? A conspiracy? I suspect its because that's what they have on the shelf.

     

    No one seems to be pursuing wide angle with color filters. This is the area that interests me the most!

  19. Hi Craig,

     

    All 14mm lenses have a pronounced front element. So does the 15-30. If light hits the element from the wrong angle you get flare. A specially designed lens hood is a must. I will be releasing a design for this hood to use with the Ikelite extended dome port.

     

    The 14mm lens shows little to no edge distortion since the DSLR's shoot through the center of the lens. See www.reefpix.org for sample shots.

     

    Marc Furth has used the 15mm sigma fisheye and Dhaas has used the 16mm Nikkor fisheye. I have seen their results and while they show more edge distortion than the 14mm, they are still acceptable uw lenses.

     

    HTH

    James

  20. James,

     

    Is your 14mm Sigma a canon mount, thats what I would need...

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.