Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon 5D official announcement

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 126Posts
  • 126Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon 5D official announcement

126 posts
  1. Canon have officially anounced the new 5D today. This full frame and high resolution (12.8MP) DSLR looks well suited to underwater photography.

     

    This is a very useful camera for Canon shooters as it allows them to shoot 180 degree (corner to corner) fisheye shots (with either the Sigma 15mm or Canon 15mm FE) for the first time in a sub-1DS camera.

     

    This camera is intended to sell for $3300 USD, and may well appeal to pro-Canon shooters as a second body.

     

    http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos5d/

     

    Unfortunately for underwater photographers the camera is a new body - a bit larger than the 20D - so it is going to require a new housing. The race is on...

     

    Alex

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  2. I fell in love :)

    but housing it is far far away ...

     

    Julian

  3. So who is placing bets?

     

    Judging on recent form. Ikelite are usually the fastest. But they don't always do housings for the most expensive cameras. Subal were very fast with the D70, 20D (& D2X)...

     

    Alex

  4. My bet: UK-GERMANY will be the first 5D housing. I put three magic filters on that :)

     

    Julian

  5. So what is going to happen to the D1 Mk2? Beside a better pro body and may be AF system, look like the 5D will pretty much replace it?

  6. No very different cameras. 1D Mk2 (and new N version) is still the choice for sports/action shooters. The 5D is higher resolution, as well as being smaller and lighter. Better for landscapes etc. It would also be a good back up for many pro shooters. Not weather sealed - but doesn't need to be if it is going to live in a bag most of the time.

    Alex

  7. Just a thought. This camera is bigger than the 20D, but might it fit in older D60/10D housings?

    Alex

  8. Interesting points.

     

    The one reason I just got the 20D was for the 5fps and buffer that is greater than the 300D. I see more wildlife and sports in my shooting so I am not sure this new 5D would be the choice for me.

     

    Now, what does this mean..."compatible with WFT-E1 wireless transmitter" (is this wireless download?) Now that would be nice if possible through housings.

     

    That said, for underwater the full frame obviously is great. My hope and speculation is they will still get a WA out for cropped sensors. They started with EF-S lenses lets hope they didn't plan on stopping now.

     

    All that and the price tag is still a little steep in Canadian funny money. :)

    Edited by yahsemtough
  9. Hi Todd,

     

    I remember your thread about topside wildlife telephoto lens choice. Was it the 100-400 L IS USM finally?

     

    I am a bit afraid that EF-S could stay limited in comparison to Nikon's DX line-up as it is today. Camera manufactures have a very strange imagination what camera users have to use what kind of lenses. So they release a cheapish 18-55 with a 300D, a 17-85 with a 20D and L glass for the pro bodies.

     

    With the release of the 5D EF-S has been put into a certain class of cameras. I am afraid they would not come out with EF-S lenses like 10mm f2.8, 10mm fisheye, 18-50 f2.8, and so on. Those stupid marketing guys sometimes won't imagine high end glass on sub pro camera bodies. Different to what we want.

     

    Maybe I am completely wrong and they will surprise with some EF-S L glass and some decent wideangles and a 180° fisheye. Or maybe Sigma does it.

     

    Julian

    Edited by Jolly
  10. Good memory

     

    Yes, I did go with the 100-400L and that most certainly was the right choice. I was out photographing the skittish endangered burrowing owls which are the size of a small bird and found I needed every inch of the 400mm end.

     

    I still can't justify the big price tag in the end for the 5D so I won't stress over it.

     

    medium.jpg

     

    Cheers

     

    Todd

    Edited by yahsemtough
  11. great choice Todd :)

     

    Even on a 1.6 crop camera I used the long end a lot as well. 70-200 simply doesn't have enough reach.

     

    nice photo, calling for even more reach.

     

    Julian

    Edited by Jolly
  12. Todd,

     

    I recommend adding the Canon 1.4 TC to extend your reach. I use it with the Fred Miranda taped pin trick to get AF from my 10D. I get great (published & sold) bird shots with it.

     

    That said, I've got a 5D on order. I just hope I can get it to fit into my Subal C10...if not then the 10D stays in the Subal for UW and the 5D for everything else! I can't wait to get back the 8mm of width from my 16-35L!

     

    Stu

  13. Does Canon make a 1.6x converter so that all your lenses have the same angle of coverage on 5D as you have been used to for the last few years? :)

     

    I do make a fair point. I have several lenses that would work on FF but I have only shot them on APS-C sensor sized cameras. I'd need a 1.6x to adjust!

     

    Alex

  14. Does Canon make a 1.6x converter so that all your lenses have the same angle of coverage on 5D as you have been used to for the last few years? :D

     

    I do make a fair point. I have several lenses that would work on FF but I have only shot them on APS-C sensor sized cameras. I'd need a 1.6x to adjust!

     

    Alex

     

    Use the photoshop digital zoom. :) That'll get you a higher dynamic range cropped sensor with lower resolution which is the trade-off that I usually prefer.

     

    On the other hand, if you put a 1.4x teleconverter on and shoot ISO 200 to make up for the loss in light vs. ISO 100 on the cropped sensor, you'll still have better signal-to-noise on the full frame sensor.

  15. Todd,

     

    I recommend adding the Canon 1.4 TC to extend your reach.  I use it with the Fred Miranda taped pin trick to get AF from my 10D.   I get great (published & sold) bird shots with it.

     

    That said, I've got a 5D on order.  I just hope I can get it to fit into my Subal C10...if not then the 10D stays in the Subal for UW and the 5D for everything else! I can't wait to get back the 8mm of width from my 16-35L!

     

    Stu

     

    I do have the Kenko 1.4 and was using it for some shots too. But, as you mention, was having to use manual focus. I'll have to look up how to get AF with it mounted. These Owls just seemed to have a comfort range that was not very close. I have heard of others that are more accepting.

     

    Now, if you can sell a few of my shots I too might be able to get that 5D after all :D

     

    This shot was with the 1.4 and manual focus. This was as close as this female would let me get. Reminds me of the old days before I was married :)

     

    medium.jpg

    Edited by yahsemtough
  16. Does Canon make a 1.6x converter so that all your lenses have the same angle of coverage on 5D as you have been used to for the last few years? :)

     

    I do make a fair point. I have several lenses that would work on FF but I have only shot them on APS-C sensor sized cameras. I'd need a 1.6x to adjust!

     

    Alex

    Then you should get the 1DMk2n first... the transition from 1.6-1.25-1 is easier. :D

     

    Actually my biggest peeve about APS-C lenses is that they are not "crop" adjusted focal lengths. I mean the 10-22 is made for the APS-C camera so it's really 16-35 so why not say that? APS 16-35 vs making us do the math everytime. Really makes no sense for the EF-S and DX lenses to be marked with 35mm focal lengths when they are not.

  17. Actually my biggest peeve about APS-C lenses is that they are not "crop" adjusted focal lengths. I mean the 10-22 is made for the APS-C camera so it's really 16-35 so why not say that? APS 16-35 vs making us do the math everytime. Really makes no sense for the EF-S and DX lenses to be marked with 35mm focal lengths when they are not.

     

    I disagree. A 10mm lens is a piece of glass with focal length 10mm. It's simple. A photographer should understand the camera body he's using and what that implies. I think it's more confusing to give specs with assumed fudge factors.

  18. Keep the faith Todd this owl can be had from a closer distance.

    Contax N1, 70-300 at F4, Velvia 50, rated at 40 iso, full frame scan.

     

    Phil Rudinpost-2618-1124745597_thumb.jpg

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.