Newbie / oldbie (literally)

Hi all, 

Like many, I'm just now migrating to the new site from Wetpixels.  A bit blindsided by that!  I didn't get the memo...

I'm a long time diver (1969) from Seattle.  My wife and I dive Bonaire every year (12th trip just completed) and we've explored a decent portion of the Caribbean and Southern Cal over the years.  Last year I moved up to a full frame rig (Canon R6 M2) from a four-thirds micro system (Olympus EM5).  I retired from NOAA after 32 years of the daily grind and I'm looking forward to more fun underwater. 

• Like 4

Hi Jim!

Good to have you with us and congrats on the move. With the increasing decline of WP, combined with lack of response from the owner, we thought we should establish a new forum to ensure the community survives. I'm sure you'll see lots of familiar names.

12th trip to Bonaire is quite something! Any thoughts on what changes you have seen there over the years? It'd make for an interesting thread especially as its a popular destination for US uw photographers.

Thanks for the welcoming words!

To answer Tim's question...   I'd say that Bonaire is holding its own, except for the invasion of lionfish and SCTLD, which is quite prevalent.  Their ongoing efforts to treat sewage and improve on stormwater runoff appears to be paying off, which is a smart move.  Areas south and north of town, and Klein, are still beautiful with abundant soft coral.  I am also thrilled to see so many staghorn nurseries and a noticeable reduction in lionfish due to the efforts of many dedicated divers.  We are also seeing a lot more staghorn thickets, and some are quite large.   I'm a bit concerned though about species diversity because it seems that many of the iconic species are becoming more rare.  Perhaps they are just being loved to death.  I hope photographers will be cautious and not blast these and other species with excessive amounts of strobe shots. Also, keeping a respectable distance when shooting when certainly reduce stress in these critters.  

1 hour ago, Jim said:

I'm a bit concerned though about species diversity because it seems that many of the iconic species are becoming more rare.  Perhaps they are just being loved to death. 

This was what we thought on our last visit there in 2019. Slim pickings.