Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Underwater tripod?

Started by frogfish ·

  • 66Posts
  • 66Replies

Read-only discussion

Underwater tripod?

66 posts
  1. I have used an XIT 404 Tripod underwater which you really only need for video. Anyway, the XIT 404 is a great tripod but it is heavy and a bit cumbersome to deal with underwater. You can forget about taking stills when hauling that thing around. The buoyancy just isn't there. 

  2. On 5/5/2022 at 9:17 AM, jplaurel said:

    If you have a Nauticam housing, you may be able to forgo the plate and just add some balls.

    Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 6.16.12 PM.png

    I've never used an underwater tripod before, and have never been on a dive with anyone who was using a tripod. What tripod legs do you recommend using with the Nauticam tripod mounting balls? Do you mount the tripod legs before a dive or during a dive?

  3. On 10/15/2022 at 8:18 PM, WK's Gone Diving said:

    I've never used an underwater tripod before, and have never been on a dive with anyone who was using a tripod. What tripod legs do you recommend using with the Nauticam tripod mounting balls? Do you mount the tripod legs before a dive or during a dive?

    I have those xit404 legs that you can just twist to loosen and tighten. They are really heavy, but that's fine for macro. I usually just mount the legs and for them under the camera until I get into shooting mode. I see some people using those Inon carbon fiber legs, which looks like a nice idea, considering the weight.

    I leave the balls on my camera all the time because they make a convenient stand to keep the camera upright when resting on the floor, and without putting weight on the port.

    Edited by jplaurel
  4. On 4/17/2023 at 2:18 AM, nomadadv said:

    inon has a multi directional tripod head and modular leg system that is interesting 

    http://www.inon.jp/products/armsystem/uwtripod.html

    I got this a couple months ago and haven't been able to test it put yet.  Can just mount to ball mounts on the bottom of a Nauticam housing.  Getting pretty excited to try it in Anilao or Lembeh!!

  5. @freelio how did it go ?

     

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.