Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Capturing HDV with Windows XP

Started by echeng ·

  • 49Posts
  • 49Replies

Read-only discussion

Capturing HDV with Windows XP

49 posts
  1. Hey, guys. I'm wondering how some of you capture HDV onto Windows XP notebook systems without integrated firewire. In particular:

     

    1. which Cardbus Firewire PC card are you using?

     

    2. what software do you use for the capture? does Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 work (with Aspect HD?)

     

    3. any issues like dropouts while capturing?

     

    4. despite the horrible product name, do I need to get a Macbook Pro and wait for Final Cut to go native?

     

    I have an old Orange firewire card, but it has been unsupported since the company went out of business a few years ago.

     

    Was thinking of getting the LaCie Firewire 800 Cardbus PC card adapter for the ol' PC.

     

    Tips? :)

    Edited by echeng
  2. Doesn't take much of a firewire card really. I used a cheapy Pinnicle PCI card. HDV is only a data rate of 25MBPS so even a lowly Firewire100 is four times faster.

     

    HDVSplit is a good free capture utility.

  3. I think it's my old firewire PC card that is crapping out. I can get capture working on my desktop machine, but not on my notebook (yet).

  4. Hy, guys. I've tried two Firewire PC cards now, and neither of them will make my Thinkpad recognize the camera. Is anyone out there using a Windows notebook with a PC card adapter to capture HD from the FX1/Z1u?

  5. Do you have XPSP2 installed on the laptop? Will it recognize the camera if you put it in iLink conv mode? If so you have a software issue.

  6. Yes, I have XP2 on my notebook. When I plug the camera in on my desktop, and it works fine. I plug it in on my notebook, and it doesn't do anything.

    Will it recognize the camera if you put it in iLink conv mode? If so you have a software issue.

    This doesn't make any sense. It's either a hardware issue or a software issue, and you can't rule out hardware so easily.

     

    I'm just trying to find out if anyone else has gotten this to work successfully: Sony HDV camera, notebook pc running Windows, FireWire Cardbus PC card adapter.

  7. Go and have a look in your device manager on the laptop and see if it see's the PCMIA card.

     

    Wiggle the card in the slot abit.

  8. The card is recognized, and shows up as a firewire interface. It's the camera that is not being recognized.

    Edited by echeng
  9. Also, I'm a computer guy, so assume expert PC knowledge. :) just looking for people who have gotten this to work.

  10. Sorry, haven't tried the laptop... mine seems to be dying so i don't bother.....

     

    But i will try just for you! Takes about 15 mins to get up and running....

  11. I am also a computer "guy". Xp uses two different drivers. One for SD cameras, the other for HDV. I have seen where one works and the other doesn't. Switching it will tell you whether the computer can see the camera as an SD camera. If so your firewire card is (probably) not the issue.

     

    Try it on your desktop, you will see them identified differently based on the mode of the camera.

  12. Hey, Lars -

     

    Thanks for the advice. I've also tried a non-HDV Sony miniDv camcorder, with same problem. There are no drivers even attempting to load -- no new hardware popup, no disk activity, nothing. I see nothing in the device manager.

     

    But I'll give it a try.

     

    By the way, I didn't mean to sound unappreciative! I just wanted to make sure my question was clear...

    Edited by echeng
  13. Yep... i hooked up the camera and it recognized SonyZ1U right away....and opens my editing program.. Pinnacle

     

    But i am in SD mode for output...

     

    Now to try HD output....

     

    Hmm, nothing.....

     

    Changed it back to SD output whilst attached to computer and BINGO! up it comes once again.....

     

    But then again i don't have an HD program on the laptop so probably doesn't mean a lot....

     

    :)

     

    Oh, and its a PCMCIA card called Best Connectivity....

    Edited by MikeVeitch
  14. Thanks, Mike. I will give the iLink HD->SD conv mode a try.

     

    But you can't get HD working, huh?

     

    Some folks on the forums have said that you have to specify Sony D-VHS for the driver (which I did on my desktop system -- everything on my desktop works now -- except for direct capture with Vegas, which still complains).

     

    But all of that is moot if the computer doesn't recognize the device.

     

    It's no wonder people use Mac notebooks for video on the go.

  15. Mr Computer Guy Cheng

    Have you tried hooking up another firewire device besides cameras? Some of those PC cards have a power cord "accessory" which you may need to get to get it to work. Try a FW drive or something. If that doesn't show then use a power connection. PCIMCIA isn't powered so the cards assuming it will be plugged in to handle devices that need power.

    If that don't work, go to SOHO on Spring St, find the Mercer hotel and past it is a little shop called Apple store. Pick up a Macbook Pro and it'll all work. :)

  16. The computer guy is back in Oakland for the time being, but we have plenty of Apple Stores around here. :)

     

    4-pin dealies don't carry power, do they? I have hooked up other devices in the past, but being a PC guy, I don't currently have any other firewire devices around the house. Argh. Frustrating.

     

    I don't have the AC adapter for my card, anyway. :o

     

    After Mac software settles on the Universal/Intel front, I'll consider getting one and doing all of my video work on it. It's going to suck to have multiple operating systems to deal with...

  17. Mr Computer Guy Cheng

    If that don't work, go to SOHO on Spring St, find the Mercer hotel and past it is a little shop called Apple store. Pick up a Macbook Pro and it'll all work. :o

     

     

    You can get one for me too if you want.... pro bono of course...

     

    Just drop it off in April!

     

    :)

  18. After Mac software settles on the Universal/Intel front, I'll consider getting one and doing all of my video work on it. It's going to suck to have multiple operating systems to deal with...

     

    Actually I have three PCs and three Macs all networked together at home and they all speak to each other quite sweetly. A bit fiddly to set up but once done it's no real issue.

     

    Outlay is a bit of a pain, and I've had to buy 'duplicates' of some programs (eg Nero for burning in Windows, Toast for Mac etc) but having a dedicated Mac system for video editing with Final Cut Studio is a dream compared to all the problems I had with my Windows post prod.

  19. 6 computers Nick?!?!?!

     

    Something so wrong about that!

     

    Sell 4 and buy more video equipment....

     

    :)

  20. HAHA just rib'n ya. If an SD camcorder doesn't work either then it sounds pretty serious. Maybe try the card in another laptop. Might be worth buying another for $15 or $30. I'll admit I've never captured to a laptop.

     

    Download HDVsplit or Capdvhs and use those when testing as they are the most simple of applications.

     

    I assume you've looked in the device manager to see if it is misinstalled under the ? section.

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.