Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Capturing HDV with Windows XP

Started by echeng ·

  • 49Posts
  • 49Replies

Read-only discussion

Capturing HDV with Windows XP

49 posts
  1. Hey Eric "Computer Guy" Cheng

    I just played with a friend's La Cie PCMCIA card that comes with its own power supply. You may want to try it out. Works pretty well for HVX capture so it should work for HDV.

  2. Thanks, Drew. I'm installing Windows on a second partition with a fresh install of XP SP2, there is no reason it shouldn't work. right? :blink:

     

    dual boot, baby!

  3. I run OSX.3.9 and OSX.4.5 on separate partitions. It's useful if not a waste of drive space.

  4. Camera is being recognized on the second partition. So it's some sort of driver issue. yippee! will have to reinstall my main partition at some point when I return. :blink:

     

    thanks to everyone for their help!

  5. I work with a lot of high power, high cost editing systems and it all comes down to OS management. Of course all editing packages have issues. A few things I've noticed.

     

    1. If you have the money, have a dedicated video editing machine. I found out the hard way when I was trying to edit a wedding on a p2-233 back in the days.

     

    Windows XP Pro, SP2 right away, then necessary drivers. There has been reported Firewire driver issue with Microsoft that we've seen in the Pinnacle Lab. It's been a hit or miss but I'll see if I can get any more info out of the consumer guys.

     

    2. Turn off power management! No need to have screen savers kick in.

     

     

    For everyone that is interested in trying out AVID/Pinnacle Systems stuff, let me know. I can get employee discounts. :blink: There are demo cds I can get sent out as well.

     

     

    Curtis

  6. Hey, guys. So I'm on a brand new Win XP SP2 with full updates with Premiere Pro 2.0 tryout and Aspect HD trial installed. An A1u and an FX1 are being recognized fine now, but my Z1u doesn't work (pegs CPU at 100% and just sits there -- no hardware recognized popup).

     

    Premiere Pro 2.0 won't batch capture on the A1u without going into the same state as above (100% cpu + hang), but I can use HDLink (which was installed with Aspect HD) fine to capture individual captures.

     

    yippee.

    Edited by echeng
  7. Aren't you supposed to be floating on a boat somewhere? Can you buy a Mac out there? :blink::o

     

    Strange about your Z though, i have never had a problem...

     

    How about if you try capturing in SD? still same?

  8. I wonder if it's the cheapie firewire cable I'm using. Maybe someone on the boat has a better one.

     

    I'm in the Bahamas docked at West End for the high winds we're expecting tonight. :blink:

  9. PP2 has some capture issues. Have you tried http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/

    Glad to see you got things going.

     

    Mike: I think your lucky Studio didn't show up.

     

    Wow, I'm dis'n everything today huh?

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.