Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Capturing HDV with Windows XP

Started by echeng ·

  • 49Posts
  • 49Replies

Read-only discussion

Capturing HDV with Windows XP

49 posts
  1. Actually I have three PCs and three Macs all networked together at home and they all speak to each other quite sweetly. A bit fiddly to set up but once done it's no real issue.

     

    Outlay is a bit of a pain, and I've had to buy 'duplicates' of some programs (eg Nero for burning in Windows, Toast for Mac etc) but having a dedicated Mac system for video editing with Final Cut Studio is a dream compared to all the problems I had with my Windows post prod.

    Hey, Nick. I'd be paranoid about attaching drives to both systems. As soon as it hits the Mac, it would instantly become infected with those !$%&%& .DS_Store files. :)

  2. The 4 pins are not powered but the card is 6pin and will assume the device wants power, esp if it's not a good card. Is there a power supply port in that card?

    I had problems getting a IE1394 PC card to work on Frogfish's old IBM. Seems it liked drawing power before working. And don't you know it the power supply is an accessory.

    Ok if you really want to stay PC go get a Sony Vaio. My gf has one and she can download stuff from my FW drives and camera. PC cards in general suck although I just bought a eSATA PC Card and portable enclosures. It's nice to have RAID 0 at 1.5Gbps.

  3. Well actually one PC's the wife's, one Mac's the son's, my first Mac is a Mini so now just a slave to my Quad, my other PC is my business and games machine, and my last 'PC' is my work laptop.

     

    But I think you have a point Mike - I'm a junkie - now I find that my most recent PC (only two yrs old) won't play the latest Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, and I'll need a new processor and graphic's card!

     

    Hey I can hear the s/w industry cheerleaders singing again: "Upgrade upgrade upgrade"

  4. Hey, Drew. Yeah -- the power supply is an accessory which I don't have.

     

    I hate PC cards, but I love having Cardbus CF + 5 in 1 cards in my 2 slots. I can download pretty much everything from any card, and nothing sticks out of the notebook.

     

    I have the feeling that I'll be fighting every step of the way if I decide to do video on PCs.

  5. I have the Sandisk 12in1... USB2 and fast... almost as fast as the FW Delkin I had.

    But back on topic, many use PC to edit and survive. They're not cool or debonair like mac users, but it works for them.

    I liked Vegas and was trained on Avid (albeit on mac but it's so X platform esp in the film res editions). Premiere, well garlic and crosses please.

     

    Nick... I suppose work forces you to play video games. But I refuse to upgrade a computer until performance is literally doubled or the computer is kaput. I'm forced to eat my words now since those damned Macbooks eat HDV renders but so many things non-UB programs are slow on it. PS won't come out with an upgrade nor will MS Office (which I never use anyway). A bit of a debacle.

  6. Ah video games, a very occasional indulgence I admit - nothing like casting spells and blowing up things after a hard day negotiating intellectual property rights with software licensing lawyers. One tends to meet a better class of person in the virtual world - at least you know where they stand and don't end up playing politics all the time.

     

    Also gaming demands the very highest level of PC/Mac CPU performance, memory, graphics, HDD speed, OS etc. If you can run the latest gaming software to full spec you know you have a great video editing workstation too :)

  7. Don't know whats wrong with you guys.

    I still use Windows 95 on my Celeron 100 with 32 megs of ram to edit my HDV stuff.

     

    Only takes 6 days to render a 20 min DVD from the HDV timeline. :)

  8. And you get to kill people....

     

    Edit! oops... that was meant for Nick...

    Not sure if Wags kills people or not :):o:D

    Edited by MikeVeitch
  9. Yeah - I'd like to kill the guy who told me that the A1 had better low light capability than the 950 .... but that's another story/thread <_<

    Edited by NickJ
  10. Wasn't me!!! :)

  11. Don't know whats wrong with you guys.

    I still use Windows 95 on my Celeron 100 with 32 megs of ram to edit my HDV stuff.

     

    Only takes 6 days to render a 20 min DVD from the HDV timeline.  :)

    Now that's retro!

     

    Yeah - I'd like to kill the guy who told me that the A1 had better low light capability than the 950 .... but that's another story/thread  <_<

     

    SUCKER!!

  12. Aw that's a bit harsh Drew. I like to think of myself as a pioneer, you know - the guy you can recognize because of all the arrows suck in him. Someone has to be the path finder to find out whether there really are bad things in the woods ...

  13. Hey I bought it before you did. I just knew going in it sucked and didn't have a lot of expectations.

  14. It's alright Nick

    The A1 is a nice little camera and I'm sure you will get some nice stuff on it.

     

    It's not what you got but how you use it. :blink:

    I was sent a Jap doco on DVD shot on a F900 underwater and it was.....well I recond you could of done better with a A1 with someone good at the controls.

  15. There is really no issue at all. I certainly didn't have very high expectations. I would still buy the A1 now, as there is no small footprint camera equivalent, and I don't want the FX1+Housing combo. The A1 will be fine for the next year until there is a camera the same size with better than FX1 performance ... Important thing is I get to edit HDV material and get prepared for HD ...

     

    But people should know how crappy the A1 is under low light B)

    Edited by NickJ
  16. I was told the A1 was better than the 950 in low light at the start as well. but now owning both and looking at them comparatively they are about the same.

     

    The exception being the better quality of the A1...

     

    I have no probs with this camera.. If you expect to much you will be disappointed (as I told my girlfriend) :D

     

    The new low light Z2 looks good though....

     

    Ha, ha suckers :blink:

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  17. Eric,

    I use Pinnacle Systems, now AVID, Liquid Edition 7.1 with my IBM Thinkpad T42p. I use a cheap no-name brand PCMCIA card, 2 USB 2.0, 1 6 pin firewire, 1 4 pin firewire. Windows XP Pro, SP2.

    I have also used Pinnacle Systems Studio 10.x and have had no problems getting clips into the system.

    My other editing box is a Avid Liquid Chrome HD. It does full uncompressed HD-SDI, SDI, Analog. 1080p/i, 720p, 480p/i.

     

     

    Since my laptop internal hd is only 80gb, i use my external 300gb USB 2.0 drive to store data while a HDV deck attached to the firewire. I am still trying to get my hands on a Canon H1 HDV camera to try it.

     

    Let me know if you want Avid Liquid Edition. As you can see, I'm a bit partial to Pinnacle Systems / Avid. I work for them. :blink:

     

     

    Curtis

  18. Curtis - thank you! I have the same computer (TP42p). Glad to know that someone has it working.

     

    A full system re-install may be in order when I return from the Bahamas. I would love to try Avid out! Gonna do a comparison between Vegas and Avid before even thinking about getting a Mac. :blink:

  19. Hi Curtis....

     

    I bought the new Studio 10, had it shipped to my place in Canada and it arrived fine. It was in turn mailed to me in Yap back in November....still hasn't arrived.... :( :(

     

    Soooo.... now i have to buy it again..

     

    HInt Hint!!! :blink:

     

    Sure would like the Avid Liquid edition for HD.... :D

  20. Yeah Avid liquid edition...

     

    Ummm sounds good :blink:

     

    You good looking greek god of a bloke Curtis :D

     

    Hint, hint

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.