I think that Dr. Mustard's comments are on the mark. Why? Three reasons:
1- I met him there;
2- I was part of the slide jury;
3- My best half was on the print jury. [sorry, no insight on her jury deliberations]
Without getting into secret deliberations, I think that, as Alex said, anyone who is within the 15-25 top picks deserves kudos.
Beyond that, all sorts of things come into play, including the judges personal preferences, their appreciation of a given subject (some systematically reject clownfish pictures and I must say that the same is sttarting to happen with the pygmy seahorses), their knowledge or lack thereof about the specifics involved in u/w photography... and sometimes their knowledge of the author might play a role although this is balanced by the "international" flavour in the jury composition.
Remember that a jury decision is, most of the time, a sort of compromise amongst various preferences. Also, in Antibes, the chairman of the jury sets the tone. Some are highgly technically oriented and do systematic analysis, others rely more on the impression left by a given image, its message.
We won an award in Antibes the first time we participated... could have been the opposite. After judging many competitions, I now know that being part of the top 20 is usually an achievement in itself and that beyond that, too many factors come into play to get depressed for not being one of the prize winners.
And change one or two individuals in a jury and you might get a much different pick for the top 3.
Alex made a good remark when he said that since the competiton only allows one print per photographer, it dilutes the quality a bit. Initially, when I looked at the print area this year, I felt that the quality was not as good as what it used to be. However, once I started to look at the individual images, I found an impressive number that were worthy of some praise.
Would I have picked the same prints that won... probably not... but it does not diminish the quality of the work submitted.
Pierre de Coubertin, the father of the modern olympics said that the most important thing was not to win but to participate.
In this respect, Antibes is a great success, attracting hundreds of participants from 55 countries. One thing worth noting though, there are too few North Americans that enter the various categories. As a matter of fact, we discussed this with many people there without coming to a single conclusion.
Bottom line: continue to make images and do not hesitate to submit them; this is what makes the competition interesting: variety, different perspectives and fun.
Sorry if there are typos, I'm still jetlaged and DEMA is coming fast.
Michel