Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

New Film Intro

Started by shawnh ·

  • 46Posts
  • 46Replies

Read-only discussion

New Film Intro

46 posts
  1. Good stuff Nick:)

    -not entirely happy with the speed up/slowmo either...issue is time...need to keep intro brief but want to capture motion and effect...will take another pass on this

     

    -Text duration, I agree...i think i will extend time a bit more

     

    -Female vocals, i went back and forth on that. pulled them out and put back in. in the end it just seemed more robust with them in. i happen to not have been exposed to many recent movies using them so perhaps i am not as aware of it's current abuse:)

     

    Really appreciate the detailed feedback!

  2. -not entirely happy with the speed up/slowmo either...issue is time...need to keep intro brief but want to capture motion and effect...will take another pass on this

    I've seen that use of very fast motion instantly slowed down to very slow motion quite a lot recently in movies but it's usually used for example when someone's running from a bomb and the action slows right down as the bomb explodes and the guy flies through the air. I think it can work but the fast bit has to be really fast and with plenty of movement. And then the slow bit has to be really slow and catch the most expressive part of the clip. Then I think it can be quite a powerful technique. Scubazoo's opening piece on the Sensational Seas DVD uses something similar to great effect, but I think it's just realtime slowed instantly to slomo.

     

    -Female vocals, i went back and forth on that. pulled them out and put back in. in the end it just seemed more robust with them in. i happen to not have been exposed to many recent movies using them so perhaps i am not as aware of it's current abuse:)

    Rent Troy and check out the bit where Brad Pitt is about to kick Eric Banna's arse :D

  3. Or even "300" - in that we even had Gladiator-like corn field scenes and those wailing females again! Of course the first and best wailing fems in the popular media were on PF's Dark Side of the Moon - but I guess that's dating me a little :D

     

    edit: oops - just realised 300 is not out on DVD yet. Definitely a must buy later for the high res flat screen tho. Made me start working out again too!

    Edited by NickJ
  4. What about howler monkeys and chalk boards...haven't heard that used much lately in soundtracks?

  5. Just a small note regarding slow/fast mo:

     

    I think the variable speed is disturbing (me) in case of the manta or the whale shark, because, a.f.a.ik. they do not have this behavior in the real world. But it is very good effect it the hammerhead scene, since this behavior seems to be their own behavior also.

     

    Jules

  6. Jules,

    Great input. I am hearing a concensus on the fast motion. I will get this fixed.

    Thanks folks.

    shawn

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.