Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Antibes 2007...

Started by DeanB ·

  • 72Posts
  • 72Replies

Read-only discussion

Antibes 2007...

72 posts
  1. I used to stay at the Mexicana, but that was when the show was in the main conference center in town. Now that its moved to the marine park I'm not so sure of the geography etc.

     

    No ideas really, in fact this post doesn't help at all, I'm useless, oh god make it stooooooop!! Too much stress.

     

    har har,

    Mark.

  2. I'm jealous. I went to Antibes last year and had a great time. Especially meeting new people and seeing a beautiful part of France. Michele Westmorland

  3. O.K guys,

     

    If anyone is definately going to Antibes have you any idea's where your staying or hoping to stay...I'm looking at a hotel within staggering distance of the fest but near the bars...I can't for the life of me remember where I stayed in 2005 (Alex's fault...He has a drink problem, shhh !!) :rolleyes: but that was quite nice...apparently.

     

    Any idea's...

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

    thing is this year the festival is at the marineland park in antibes, for better for worse.

    the park is not in antibes town so staggering to and from bars festival and hotels will involve not insignificant walking once the drinking has begun.

     

    probably the closest little town to the park is Biot where the trainstation is a 2mn walk from the park.

     

    if not, i'd estimate a good 20 to 30mn walk from the park to old city of antibes where the festival used to be held.

     

    obviously walking speeds depend on many factors one of which is the quantity of beer intake....

     

    there might be more info on the marineland website

     

    /paul

  4. 20 - 30 min Walk.... ;)

     

    Taxis are the gifts from god to us drinkers... :rolleyes::P

     

    Cheers for that Paul

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  5. OK,

    First hurdle accomplished. I just got email confirmation that my entry for this year 'The Majesty of Muck' has just arrived safely in Antibes, way to go FedEx. Now I guess its just a wait to see if it gets through pre-judging. The film is pretty much a montage of short stories with narrative about the really weird life forms found around Lembeh's black sand slopes. Most scenes are the result of shooting with stacked achromatic diopters to give you an idea of the size of critters we're talking about. There are also some interludes of corals and colour just to balance things up. Run time is about 14 minutes.

     

    I'm so far aware of only this and one other video entry by Dean(the drinker)B. Anyone else out there sending stuff in? Any other people / contributors from the site planning on going? I may not be able to attend due to other arrangements but I'm trying desperately to have that time free to be there. Be good to think we can get a Wetpixel rabble together.......

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

  6. I have just registered my very short (5 min) film. It's title is "Closed Spaces", and it is a preview of a fictitious feature film about diving in caves, wrecks and under ice. Special orchestral drama music was composed for the preview. A little bit dark tone...

     

    DeanB helped me to make tailored-made English sentences for the subtitle-narration. So he is my script supervisor :):rolleyes: Thanks Dean!

     

    So at least 4 guys are competing here...

  7. Yeah, I wanted to use Dean(I've got a voice like an Angel)B for the narrative on my short. Trouble is I think all that piking around has sent him nanas......500 quid a word indeed?

     

    Sheesh.

     

    Mark.

    We'll have a blast anyway. Good luck with the entry.

  8. I have just send in my new Movie "the 3 giants of Mozambique" whalesharks, humpback's and Manta's

    I have booked a flight and hotel accomodation, and looking forward to drink a few beers with you guys.

     

    Camdiver, i am sure you will pass pre-judging, there is allot of bagger between the 200 movie's you can see there and i am sure yours will be hard to beat.

     

    I will be renting a car during the 4 days i am there the 4 days rental is almost the same price that you pay a taxi from the airport and back.

    I am happy to help you guys out with my car if needed.

     

    Jules, i am really looking forward to see your new "art" movie

  9. £500 per word...Mate your delusional :rolleyes: I don't get into bed for less than £1000 :)

     

    I am looking at shacking upwith Jules (ha ! the fool) we have located a hotel called the

     

    'Pierre & Vacances Port Prestige'

     

    If anyone knows of this palace please inform us...

     

    Dive safe

     

    Dean(the drinker...really <_< )B

  10. I'm hoping that me and Zoe can make an appearance over the weekend too. Would be good to get a free beer off of Wetpixel, would be even better to get a free beer off of Dean though!

     

    Hopefully we will know if we can make it in a week or so.

     

    Cheers, Simon

  11. I'll see what I can get nearer the time, park bench usually!

  12. I've actually seen Mark's video for Antibes and it's fantastic!! It will make it in without a doubt--it's great work, Mark!!

     

    Will also confess that I also sent one in, but not at all certain as to whether it will make it past prejudging as it's about Conrad Limbaugh and the Sharks of Clipperton Island. (A variation of the podcast I did back in May.) Clipperton Island is a French island located off Mexico, and I discuss in the video the need for protection of this island and surrounding waters. Not sure how the French judges will take it. Guess we'll see, huh?

     

    Not happy at all about the location (Marineland), but may still attend. Steve (husband) has never been to France and I've never been to the coast there. So, I might be there for a Wepixel gathering which would be very cool!

     

    Mary Lynn

  13. I've actually seen Mark's video for Antibes and it's fantastic!! It will make it in without a doubt--it's great work, Mark!!

     

    Will also confess that I also sent one in, but not at all certain as to whether it will make it past prejudging as it's about Conrad Limbaugh and the Sharks of Clipperton Island. (A variation of the podcast I did back in May.) Clipperton Island is a French island located off Mexico, and I discuss in the video the need for protection of this island and surrounding waters. Not sure how the French judges will take it. Guess we'll see, huh?

     

    Not happy at all about the location (Marineland), but may still attend. Steve (husband) has never been to France and I've never been to the coast there. So, I might be there for a Wepixel gathering which would be very cool!

     

    Mary Lynn

     

    Dear Mary Lynn,

     

    I am sure it will pass, no doubt.

     

    Am I understand right, you will attend to the festival personally this year? I would be happy to meet you after so much mails...

     

    Jules

  14. Hi Jules!

     

    Yes, I'm seriously considering going to Antibes for the film fest next month. And very much looking forward to meeting in person after all the emails. And it sounds like your film will make it too! Dean and Brumpy, as well! Simon, did you send one in? ( I sure hope so!)

     

    Will keep you all posted...

     

    Mary Lynn

  15. Well,

     

    I think this year's competition will be very good and strong: two former winners are in and many other professional competitors...

     

    I am sure we will enjoy very-very much the festival... :( and :angry::P

  16. Yeah I entered a short film on Porbeagles. It's the first ever free swimming footage of them and it also addresses the consequences of media hysteria that hit Cornwall this summer with all the fuss over the Great White sightings and the knock on effect that had for Porbeagles when they were hit hard by longliners just weeks afterwards.

     

    It may have a chance of being shown, but I'm not under any illusions of actually winning anything! Especially as Porbeagle is a delicacy in France....

     

    ...and the of course I found out about the dolphinarium :angry:

     

    Cheers, Simon

  17. I've actually seen Mark's video for Antibes and it's fantastic!! It will make it in without a doubt--it's great work, Mark!!

     

    Will also confess that I also sent one in, but not at all certain as to whether it will make it past prejudging as it's about Conrad Limbaugh and the Sharks of Clipperton Island. (A variation of the podcast I did back in May.) Clipperton Island is a French island located off Mexico, and I discuss in the video the need for protection of this island and surrounding waters. Not sure how the French judges will take it. Guess we'll see, huh?

     

    Not happy at all about the location (Marineland), but may still attend. Steve (husband) has never been to France and I've never been to the coast there. So, I might be there for a Wepixel gathering which would be very cool!

     

    Mary Lynn

     

    Thanks for the kind words Mary Lynn. Had a blast meeting you and 'the Gang'. Looking forward to the next meeting, whenever and wherever that may be.

     

    Cheers again,

    Mark.

  18. Antibes opens tomorrow.

     

    Program is available at the French language version of the site.

     

    Wetpixel Bar at the DivePhotoGuide booth opens every evenings.

     

    Red wines from California and Spain. White wines from Switzerland. Unicum from Hungary. Baileys from Ireland.

     

    Come and discuss films, stills and life.

     

    Family photo and video.

     

    I hope we will meet many-many wetpixelians...

     

     

    :lol::):)

     

    Jules

    Edited by Jules (Helioxfilm)
  19. Booked into the Mexicana, my preferred haunt. Will be there on Friday, just in time for DeanB's amazing wallet opening ceremony, I've heard its as moving as those water fountai9ns in Las Vegas!! Not to be missed.

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.