Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Antibes 2007...

Started by DeanB ·

  • 72Posts
  • 72Replies

Read-only discussion

Antibes 2007...

72 posts
  1. Congratulations to everyone!!! :guiness:;):ninja:

  2. Hi everyone,

     

    I don't post often in the forum, but I read and learn a lot from it. I wanted to know your thoughts about the winning pictures of this years's Antibes Festival (for those who have been lucky enough to be here this year).

    I was suprised by the jury's choice. It seemed to me that there were wonderfull, incredible pics (and some crappy one of course...) for the competition, and despite that huge choice, the winning pics are some "OK"ones, but not especially original, nor difficult to make, nor "never seen before" etc...

    Here is my analysis. Before anything else, I have to tell you that I did not participate (I came back too late from a dive trip, unfortunatly) and I don't have anything against the winners. I am just trying to understand. Obviously, there is something I don't/can't see and I wanted to learn "it" from you.

    here are my (humble) thoughts about the (colors) pics :

    It seems to me at least that one price went to a pic that have been made, published and seen at least hundreds of time. The wide angle pic with blue water, great colors and all... OK, but not especially hard to do, nor original.

    One price have been given to a macro shot of the yucatan shrimp, Periclimenes yucatanicus. it is a wonderfull little animal with wery subtle colors. But the winning pic is way too contrasty, over photoshoped in a obvious and wrong way, with false colors and all the wonderfull details "overpainted" with extreme contrast settings. In fact, when I was in front of the pic, trying to explain details to some friends, I told them "that is the exact wrong way to make a picture... It is allready seen, badly post processed, not well printed etc...you don't see the animal as it is in the sea !"

    And the last price went to a butterfly fish shot, which is, at least to my eyes, very very common and shows nothing special.

    It seems to me that I can see far better pictures here in the forum than these winning pics, and that there were somme incredible shots in competition that deserved far more consideration.

    Well, as you can see, I really don't understand the jury's choices. :guiness:

     

    As for the video section, I did not have the chance to view all the movies, but some winners really are wonderfull.

     

    Anyway, I would really love to have your opinions about the pics, and even if I don't like them, Kudos to the winners for their job.

     

    Thanks for reading

     

    Anthony

  3. Markus,

     

    Way to go! You brought Antibbes to its knees!

     

    Timbo

     

    Maybe not next year but the year after I'll be REDdy to do it all again!

     

    Saw your report from Ogasawara, beautiful stuff mate.

     

    Cheers,

    Mark

  4. It does look like Julie won a price. She's in the PDF, in the portfolio section, but I still have no idea what that price is for.

     

    PRIX APNEA "Meilleure image d'apnée" (300 €)

    à Julia Edwards [Pays-Bas]

     

    Cor

  5. The Image was one of an Islander youth with eye goggles giving a thumbs up sign with hands tucked behind is knees.

     

    I think the prize is aimed at Images which depict the act of Apnea or people taking part in such an act.

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

  6. I am curious to hear how the Marineland venue was? Was the consensus that it will be a one off location?

    Was it a circus/jail or does it actually do good conservation and education work?

     

    Hi Alex,

     

    I actually did a write-up on my mixed feelings about the captivated Orcas:

    http://www.digideep.com/english/info/html/...lings-critique/

     

    Amazing Animals, though.

  7. Andi, I share your feelings on the venue and the irony of holding such a festival there, and very much appreciated your write-up. It was a very strange and contradictory experience; and we can only hope that the organizers take these concerns to heart and not make the same mistake again next year. One good that came of it is the discussion of the issues that has ensued, and I hope this will continue.

     

    Mary Lynn

  8. The Image was one of an Islander youth with eye goggles giving a thumbs up sign with hands tucked behind is knees.

     

    I think the prize is aimed at Images which depict the act of Apnea or people taking part in such an act.

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

     

    Thanks Mark!

     

    Yay for me then. :guiness:

  9. No worries Julie.

     

    Just also wanted to give a big shout out to Patrick, Danny and Terri who were also present at the festival. Had great times working together in the past and look forward to many more reunions.

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

  10. It does look like Julie won a price. She's in the PDF, in the portfolio section, but I still have no idea what that price is for.

     

    PRIX APNEA "Meilleure image d'apnée" (300 €)

    à Julia Edwards [Pays-Bas]

     

    Cor

     

     

    I hope that APNEA part is on tape, I try to search it ASAP...

     

    Jules

  11. Great stuff mate,

    When will the all singing and all dancing podcast be out?

     

    Working on papers.

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

    P.S How was the drive home?

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.