Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Keeping An Eye On Air & Depth

Started by bmemike ·

  • 22Posts
  • 22Replies

Read-only discussion

Keeping An Eye On Air & Depth

22 posts
  1. This may be a no-brainer, but what sort of computers do you all use? I'm looking at buying my first new computer and I'm probably going to pony up for a nicer air-integrated wrist computer. While I really like gadgets, I figure that this is actually justified as being safer than having a tethered gauge console.

     

    My reasoning is that if I have a camera rig in my hands most of the dive, I'm naturally less likely to keep an eye on the important stuff that should have my attention other than my photography subjects. So by putting a computer on my wrist, I always have that info right in front of me - even when my hands are full of camera goodness.

     

    So, what computers do you all use, does my reasoning seem to make sense to you or do you find that it's a non-issue in practice? Enlighten me :angry:

  2. Mike, that's what I do. I use a wireless air integraged Vytec. The computer sits on my left wrist so that my depth/ NDL/ air are always just a quick glance away.

    Edited by pakman
  3. Good logic, that is what I did for the longest time...except I figured that if you are looking through your viewfinder you're probably not going to be looking at your wrist either.

     

    I use the Oceanic VT pro, air integrated. But instead of putting it on my wrist, I have it on a tether on my BC.

    Edited by mjpsfla
  4. If you are looking for wireless tank data, you may want to take a look at the Suunto D9; while the Vytec is nice the D9 is more up to date with newer technology. However, I think that your premise for pursuing such a device may be a little skewed and is potentially sacrificing your safety. I say this from your comment of “I figure that this is actually justified as being safer than having a tethered gauge console.†The mundane data provided by any device should always be monitored to ensure your continual safety, whether it is tethered or not.

     

    I am almost positive that the failure rate of the D9 is minimal, yet, there is no way I would enter the water with this being my only tank-monitoring device. This is mainly because the D9, as well as others, work off of transmitters that have potential of failing due to flooding or battery failure. The D9, or any other wireless tank-monitoring device, are products of convenience and should be used in conjunction with tradition methods, such as the SPG.

     

    I do not mean to berate you individually, but I am more sharing my opinion on the use of these devices as the sole reliance of tank data. No matter how interesting the shots you must always be consciously aware of the other aspects of diving, the ones that allow you to partake in the activity in the first place. Don’t allow yourself to become complacent and perpetuate a situation that could jeopardize your safety.

     

    Overall, go for it – I recommend the D9.

  5. I wear a computer (Citizen Cyber AqualandNX) on my wrist and I also have a dive watch (Citizen Hyper Aqualand) on my rig. Neither are air integrated and I have a regular SPG on my regulator.

     

    My air use is always pretty stable and but I still regularly check the SPG - and I don't have a problem with doing that. I have never come close to running out of air.

  6. My air use is always pretty stable and but I still regularly check the SPG - and I don't have a problem with doing that. I have never come close to running out of air.

     

    ....dito

  7. No matter how interesting the shots you must always be consciously aware of the other aspects of diving, the ones that allow you to partake in the activity in the first place. Don’t allow yourself to become complacent and perpetuate a situation that could jeopardize your safety.

     

    I totally agree with this - I was more getting at making it a lot easier to keep this data always within reach.

     

    I figure that if I only have two hands, not needing one free to check this crucial data is optimal. At any given time I may need a hand on my rig and inflate/deflate button - so a wrist-mounted comp seems to allow me to multitask that much easier (without having to compromise safety at all).

     

    I just wanted to see if this was a shared perspective and if anyone had any other recommendations.

     

    For computers, I've been looking to get the Aeris Elite T3 or the Oceanic VT3 - both of which have had very positive reviews.

  8. I could get really pompous here, so here goes:

     

    If you're worried about keeping tabs on your air, then you probably shouldn't be adding a camera into the mix. Many experienced photographers use rebreathers, which mandate regular gauge-checking, without getting into trouble.

     

    I'd suggest that if you are familiar with your equipment and know how your breathing pattern and depth affect your air consumption, then an air-integrated computer isn't necessary: for the same price you could have a back-up computer and submersible pressure gauge.

     

    Yoe might check your gauges every five minutes - unless you are 50m+ you ought to be able to do that as well as shooting to your heart's content.

     

    I use a Suunto Stinger, a VR3 and SPGs.

     

    I have my SPG below my "emergency triangle". As you can see, my 14-year old son has been influenced by my gear:

     

    post-4522-1189695056_thumb.jpg

     

    Tim

     

    B)

  9. i use Aladin PRO, very simple but does the trick. I don't agree on buying a dive computer so that you don't to worry about your air or depth. Don't trust to much on your computer, always be careful, use gauges anyway, check them, check the computer, i know how distracting can photography can be but i always keep in mind to check my air and depth, and i try to avoid decompression dives.

  10. If you're worried about keeping tabs on your air, then you probably shouldn't be adding a camera into the mix...

     

    And for the same reasons I don't keep a backup spg on my reg. one less hose. Don't see the need for redundant air readings for recreational depths. If the wireless transmitter or PC craps out, I've got a back up bottom timer and will have a good idea where my air pressure was before I lost the reading. Just have to deal with a pissed off buddy if I'm thumbing the dive early. For shallower dives, I probably wouldn't thumb the dive based on my air consumption. I don't recommend it for everyone and I definitely won't criticize anyone who appreciates the convenience of having their air reading right at their wrist from a wireless transmitter AND have their hosed backup.

  11. I'm all for wrist-mounted computers - I love my little Mosquito (even if/because it is conservative). Not a huge fan of air-integrated wrist-mount computers, but that's because I'm cheap and already own a serviceable SPG. If you're talking about strictly recreational diving, comes down to personal preference. As others have said, if you have the experience to bring along a two-handed camera system, you should have a good idea of your air consumption rate. If you have poor hose management (i.e. dangly-itis) or just want to get rid of one, then by all means air-integrate. I certainly wouldn't carry both an air-integrated computer and an SPG for recreational diving - if your air-integrated computer fails, it's time to go, whether you've got a backup SPG or not.

  12. I use Oceanic Atom 2.0 Air integrated writst computer.

     

    I love it. I am a minimalist when it comes to my scuba kit. The smaller and less obtrusive the better. The atom fits my wishes perfectly.

  13. I regularly do a liveaboard trip to the GBR and Coral Sea. We do 4 dives a day over 5.5 days. The divemaster insists that you wear the same computer for the whole trip. If something goes wrong with the computer (e.g. battery failure), you are out of the water for 24 hours.

     

    On a number of occasions other divers' air integrated computers have failed - at least the air integrated part - they have missed some dives. Note that these were physically integrated rather than wireless, but it is something to think about.

  14. I haven't tried it, but for the ultimate, you could try an Aeris CompuMask HUD. This way you only need to look down in your mask for all the necessary info.

  15. I haven't tried it, but for the ultimate, you could try an Aeris CompuMask HUD. This way you only need to look down in your mask for all the necessary info.

     

    There are two WP topics on this:

     

    Link 1

     

    Link 2

     

    Looks like most say it will get in the way of seeing the viewfinder.

  16. I regularly do a liveaboard trip to the GBR and Coral Sea. We do 4 dives a day over 5.5 days. The divemaster insists that you wear the same computer for the whole trip. If something goes wrong with the computer (e.g. battery failure), you are out of the water for 24 hours.

     

    On a number of occasions other divers' air integrated computers have failed - at least the air integrated part - they have missed some dives. Note that these were physically integrated rather than wireless, but it is something to think about.

     

    Wow, that's pretty extreme - never had an operator like that. Sounds more like a case for a spare computer (wear two) than a non-air-integrated one though.

  17. Vytec with Stinger backup.

  18. Hello,

     

    Uwatec Smart.com, it has an usefull function: RBT (remaining bottom time). I can fix the amount of tank pressure I want at the end of the dive (let say 50bar) and it computs, at any time and depth, how much time I can spend more so that I can end the dive with the fixed 50bar. It has audible alarms. I use it clipped to the chest D-ring.

     

    Neverthless it is very important to do a previous Plan of the Air comsumption for the dive. The computer is only a usefull tool...

  19. My two pennies worth.

     

    I am an instructor that is in the water almost everyday and rack up about 500 dives a year. I invested in a Suunto Cobra about 6yrs ago when I started diving alot and am now on my 4th replacement computer. They seem to get to somewhere between 600-800 dives and then pack up.

     

    1st. diving at 20m and air integrate shows I have 90bar and at 20m I dont have 1 molecule of air left and I have to go on customer octo. Even when I take back to the shop it still shows 90bar. Free replacement.

     

    2nd one. 600 dives and when I am at 5m safty stop says I am at 1.5m.

     

    3rd one. about 500 dives and does not switch on when I jump in and fails to show and depth at all.

     

    4th one same problem as the 3rd after about 550 dives.

     

    Air integratre is good but for the last few years I have a back compact analogue gauge as well I just stuff in my pocket out of the way.

     

    Final thought, If I didnt keep getting free replacements I would buy Uwatec for sure. I have guys I work with with Uwatec and their computer are like 10yrs old and still working ok.

  20. Some of the photo diving I do in Hawaii is beyond recreational depths (130+ feet), so I prefer to have two computers - an air-integrated Cobra and a hoseless air-integrated Uwatec Air Z (since we dive Nitrox for shallow dives). I wear the Air Z on my right wrist, where I can glance at it to track bottom time and no-deco time on deeper dives.

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.