Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Antibes at Marineland Dolphinarium.

Started by DeanB ·

  • 67Posts
  • 67Replies

Read-only discussion

Antibes at Marineland Dolphinarium.

67 posts
  1. Hi All,

     

    I was talking to my girlfriend the other night when we had a discussion on the Antibes fest and it being held in a Dolphinarium.. She said that it was weird that some of the most eminent shooters and conservationists would be cool about showing their work in what was really a Dolphin Jail... :angry: So promoting their business.

     

    Call me stupid but it never really hit home to me until then...I did not really look into the place just sent my film in and that was that...Now I'm thinking if it looks like I'm O.k with this place, when really I'm against them...But Antibes is a big event for us and I wouldn't want to miss my chance of showing my work...Does this make me a bad person in anyones eyes... :P

     

    Has anyone got any thoughts on this ????

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  2. I think it is particularly noticeable for us Brits as keeping cetaceans in captivity has long been banned in our country - so it seems a particularly strange choice of venue.

     

    I am interested to hear what other photographers think - both those from countries that have dolphinariums and those that don't.

     

    Alex

  3. Dive Mag (Uk) have gone to town on this...

     

    Just looked through the latest edition...They are pulling out of the event and apparently so are a few shooters...Will this put a downer on anyone who wins / attends...I'm still going. It will give me a chance to look at the Dolphinarium first hand... Contributors get free entry tickets so I won't be giving them any money..

     

    Anybody with strong views on this are welcome to join me and fill me in.

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  4. I think it is particularly noticeable for us Brits as keeping cetaceans in captivity has long been banned in our country - so it seems a particularly strange choice of venue.

     

    I am interested to hear what other photographers think - both those from countries that have dolphinariums and those that don't.

     

    Alex

     

    I'm french and live near Antibes ..

    I never go to the dolphinarium , this is a too sad place to be seen for me.

    I'm a photographer too , in fact I try to be one ..

    Last year I did send a picture to Antibes festival , and was very proud of my row ( 116 ) and to see it on the wall ..

    This year I did prepare some of them , but did not send any , I think that they have nothing to do in what is nothing else that a jail for dolphins and orcas ..

    Perhaps next year in another place , who knows?

    Thank to Wetpiwel to ask this question , that I would like to be ask on french forums too.

    Edited by girelle
  5. I'm french and live near Antibes ..

    I never go to the dolphinarium , this is a too sad place to be seen for me.

    I'm a photographer too , in fact I try to be one ..

    Last year I did send a picture to Antibes festival , and was very proud of my row ( 116 ) and to see it on the wall ..

    This year I did prepare some of them , but did not send any , I think that they have nothing to do in what is nothing else that a jail for dolphins and orcas ..

    Perhaps next year in another place , who knows?

    Thank to Wetpiwel to ask this question , that I would like to be ask on french forums too.

     

     

    For many years my schedule has precluded a visit to Antibes, but this year the planets had seemed to align at last. I was then astonished to find that the festival was to be held at Marineland and frankly cannot bring myself to go to the event as a result. I imagine many photographers will vote with their feet and simply not enter the competition. The festival is supposed to be a celebration of the sea and marine environment - this decision seems to be very short sighted and ill considered. Even if the event is moved for subsequent years I feel that it will be tainted for quite some time as a result of this decision.

     

    Mark Webster

    www.photec.co.uk

  6. Oh my god!

     

    Well I've entered now, so I can't do anything about it, but if I do attend I feel a protest coming on. It makes me sick to the stomach to see Dolphins in captivity. What were they thinking???

     

    I just never realised...

     

    Simon

  7. Well obviously they don't seem to think it's a problem. IT's interesting there hasn't been a protest yet about it.

  8. Sadly this will, and rightly so, Mar the event... :angry:

     

    I do not understand why they chose this venue, they say financial reasons but in an ethical world it stinks...If anyone from wetpixel wins then hopefully it will not spoil the occasion. You do not want it to be remembered for the wrong reasons...I think maybe,In some ways, people pulling out probably didn't think they would get anywhere anyway or were not going anyway so better to play the protest hand and so no loss to them...

     

    I am now definately going to see with my own eyes and ears whats going on...

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

    Edited by DeanB
  9. I remember a BBC programme with David Attenborough featuring dolphins in a aquarium doing scientific tests on intelligence. I think it was filmed in the States...Was there an uproar about this...I'm getting more and more interested in the argument. I was queried about my interview for Pike & predator magazine saying I was promoting fishing..Where as really i was trying to get across the beauty of the Pike as a species..I have no views on the fishing argument as I haven't looked into it to get one...But you cannot always please everyone. I know Dolphins have a higher intellect than 'fish' but i need to look at this first hand before I throw stones...

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  10. Yes, this is a definite issue. Last year I released a DiveFilm podcast (episode 27) by Hardy Jones of BlueVoice.org, "Defending Dolphins," about dolphins in captivity and the how many are obtained via the notorious dolphin drives in Japan. I don't know how Marineland in Antibes obtains their dolphins, but it is an important issue. Marine mammals in captivity in general is an issue as well, but possibly a more complicated one for some folks depending upon the purpose of the captivity (research, shows for the public, military purposes, etc.) and the source of the animals.

     

    There are a number of ways to approach the fact that Antibes is being held at Marineland this year. One way would be just not to go. Another way would be to do some educational work about the issues involved and help raise awareness among divers and the general public.

     

    I haven't made my reservations yet, and am interested in what the rest of you all think about this. Will be offline for several days, but will check back later on this coming week....

     

    Mary Lynn

    Edited by Mary Lynn
  11. I think it is very disappointing. I know that the Festival has always relied on lots of local funding to make it happen, and also that this funding has been less in the last few years. I can only imagine that there was a good financial incentive for them to put the event on at the dolphin jail. Not that it makes it any better.

     

    Mary Lynn, perhaps you should persuade Hardy Jones to enter his film.

     

    Alex

  12. Excellent suggestion Alex...

     

    Although I know Mary Lynn is on her way to Guadalupe so she may not get this ....

     

    If any wetpix crew attending want to walk around the venue and take a look for themselves I am up for it...

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  13. We must all remember that every issue has 2 sides. The dolphinarium may be a dolphin 'jail', but it also helps promote a care for the ocean's creatures (unlike a home aquarium, which serves as a vanity decor imho :angry:). How many people became aware of Keiko's plight were it not for Free Willy movies and the Shamu shows (however deceptive they are in changing the animals. I mean was Lassie really 50 years old?). How did dolphin safe tuna and sardine get huge support about if Flipper and the dolphin shows didn't amaze millions?

    Where is the line for events like these to not cross? The Pacific ocean has millions of tons of plastic waste. Should the event also not use plastic or PVC or implement a 100% recycle rate?

    This debate is a good one as it forces all of us to think about these events and the prestige it brings but also what role(if any) it plays in informing the general public.

  14. Good thoughts...

     

    This will give me a chance to see what goes on first hand...

     

    And it has bought up issues...In some ways it was good to hold this event where it is, as i (for one) would have not even of heard of the venue...

     

    In typical wetpix / forum style its started a discussion...And we can voice our concerns if needed at the venue..Not by throwing our toys out the pram...

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  15. I was requested to enter a film and did so. I wasn't planning on entering or attending so never checked the venue. I am very disappointed abou this now :angry:

     

    The purist in me says no way, this is completely wrong...and in a sense it is. The pragmatist in me says most non-divers have no clue about marine life, and hence no reason to take a stand to protect it. Public venues such as a Dolphinarium expose many times more people to marine life than diving. In this sense it is necessary.

     

    I really don't know where i stand sometime. How they are captured and how they are treated are extremely important. And finally, the motivation behind the Dolphinarium is important. If just to make money, not good. If consevation driven, better.

     

    my 2 cents.

  16. Well Dean, picketting at Antibes would be very francais! Vive la Révolution! Remember it is the côte d'azur so make sure your picket signs match your outfit.

    Jokes aside, it's good that a discussion can be held with intelligence and not emotions. It does raise the issue of the popularity or unpopularity of dolphinariums and captive marine animals with uw shooters and divers in general.

  17. ** PLEASE READ THIS POST AS A POINT OF DEBATE **

     

    I really don't know where i stand sometime.
    Yeah, I know how you feel. I blame it on the Budweiser!!

     

    Joking aside this is a very valid point but I tend to agree on the side of Drew. Whilst some, maybe even most, Dolphinariums could be seen as detrimental in our perception of the animals welfare they do also serve a purpose, an educational purpose which then allows people to make their own judgments on animal welfare and conservation etc. Mankind generally tends to protect the things they appreciate and understand. There is a lot more protection for Dolphins and Whales in this World, potentially as a result of interaction and study of the species at parks such as this. Yes, there are also a lot of sharks in tanks too but as a species there is still yet a long way to go before we understand them at a level we do the Cetaceans of the World, IMHO. I can only hope eventually we will start to see some kind of increased awareness leading to elevated protective measures for the sharks of our World. We are getting there, slowly!

     

    Incidentally, how many people here eat fish? I can understand the stance people have of protecting our Oceans and marine life found therein if they abstain from eating seafood. On the other hand for those of us who do eat, and enjoy, the fruits of the Ocean shouldn't we seriously take a look at our ideals before deciding to abstain from such venues? I would imagine that the bycatch quotas we help to realize through our want for 'Cod n Chips' after a trip to the pub on a Friday night, in a sheer biomass quantity, are just outrageous. Why should that be any more justified or acceptable than having Dolphinarium type enclosures where at least people can get some kind of education? Is it because we can see these 'smiling' beings in captivity and we can make judgments based on our visual reference? We can't see the bycatch so we don't have any idea of whats going into getting our 'Scampi and Fries'!

     

    I know that this is really a touchy subject. I don't agree with any bad treatment to animals whether terrestrial or marine. Unfortunately in this day and age it is not going to get any better. As I mentioned in a post quite some time ago I really think that in the future as environments and resources from our planet get used up its really going to be in scenarios of Dolphin parks and Zoos where we will be able to get glimpses of species which once graced our Oceans and woodlands.

     

    Whether we call them 'Jails' or 'Captive Breeding Programs' they serve a purpose, IMHO.

     

    I will definitely be at Antibes if all goes well with my schedule. Besides if I didn't go I would be missing out on spotting the one thing that outshines in absolute scarcity the reality that is the Loch Ness Monster and that is, of course, the act of DeanB getting a round in...... :angry::P

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

     

    Again, this is just a raised point. I know people can fly off on this subject but I'm a lover not a fighter, argue the post not the poster!! I

    Edited by CamDiver
  18. While I'm not familiar with the facility Antibes is being held at personally I am very familiar with the current subject of dolphins in captivity.

     

    What seems to be being missed here (or just touched lightly on) that people need to look at is this subject is not black (as in "dolphin jails") and white (as in living completely wild in the open ocean).

     

    There are dolphin facilities that are purely rescue and rehab facilities that have no "dophin-swim" type programs, etc. and any public presentations are geared towards being educational and enriching for the visitors and the dolphins. Two right near me here are the Clearwater Marine Aquarium where I volunteer and home of Winter the dolphin; and the very well-respected shark research center Mote Marine Aquarium (they also rescue/rehab dolphins and other cetaceans and have permanent residents who could not be released). Both these organizations are completely non-profit (301C). Any dolphins residing at both Mote Marine and Clearwater Marine Aquariums are residents because their injuries precluded them from surviving in the open ocean. Both of these facilities have 24 hour stranding response teams that respond to many marine mammal strandings per year. A large number of the stranded marine mammals are successfully returned to the wild after short or longer periods of medical care and evaluation. Of course there are animals who never recover enough to be released and this cannot usually be determined at time of stranding; a lot depends if the marine mammal ends up eating live fish or refuses it and what strikes against the animal any sustained injuries would be in the wild - evaluated after careful observation.

     

    So why should we care/go through all this and not just euthanize ever single cetacean that strands? Is a life for a dolphin say in an aquarium preferable to being euthanized with no life at all? Seeing that many dolphin who strand do strand directly from human caused scenarios I have to say that people do have a responsibility to try to act in the best way possible. Here we have Marine Mammal Stranding Networks that are supervised by NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration). Some of the animals that strand and survive end up living in accredited facilities in the US. Some of these facilities are purely non-profit research and marine animal hospitals (like Clearwater Marine Aquarium and Mote Marine Aquarium) and some facilities are branches of places like Sea World. Now I'm not going to debate Sea World as it is a different facility than what I'm talking about with purely rescue/rehab facilities but one thing I have to say for them is they do a ton of conservation and rescue operations through the [sea World sponsored] Hubbs Research Institute and all their dolphins in the parks are "Sea World" dolphins - none are taken or will be again taken from the wild and it has been many years since any have been. It was quickly learned how wrong that was.

     

    So I would say as far as Antibes at Marineland - go research and find out what sort of facility it is. Is it mainly rehab/research or is it an attraction for profit? If an attraction how much of the organization is actually dedicated to saving and helping wild cetaceans? And the most important question of all is where did the current dolphins come from? You may be surprised to learn if they were stranded animals that would have died otherwise or if they were caught in the wild how long ago? If they were taken from the wild recently (say in the last 10 years) or have any programs that incorporate any wild-caught dolphins I would stay away from that facility and not support it. Interestingly enough the photo feature that was in Fathoms Magazine recently at Anthony's Key Roatan was with wild-caught dolphins (I don't know the exact figures but they were taking dolphins from the wild as lately as 5 years ago and probably more recently). I think it is justified by Anthony's Key because it is promoted that they are in live ocean pens and can leave any time they want. But this is even worse for the animal than dolphin aquariums because these wild-caught dolphins can be at very serious risk with very bad survival habits if they do decide to come and go from these pens.

     

    Yes there are myriad of opinions and arguments on both sides and believe me I do know a lot of data on this subject. And hear me I do not endorse any taking of wild cetaceans from our oceans for display purposes. It is illegal to do so in the US also under the Marine Mammal Protection Act.

     

    But realistically we are going to end up with some dolphins and other cetaceans in captivity with the rising numbers of human-related injuries and strandings. Unless someone who opposes it wants to take complete responsibility to authorize euthanization of each and every stranded marine mammal on site then the greatest good is for responsible experts to form organizations to rescue/rehab/release if possible and care for those that can't be released in the best way possible. And note you also have to give the dolphins something to do so educational presentations with people coming to see them benefit both sides. Yes the term "dolphin jail" can easily be thrown around but I wonder if any persons using that term have evaluated how the particular dolphins in question came to be in that facility and what would happen to them if they were released? Starvation or being attacked by predators immediately would be a cruel way to die.

     

    So the question is as far as Antibes what sort of place is Marineland, what sort of work do they do? How are their dolphins cared for and most important where did they come from? Then you can decide wether to support Antibes or not.

     

    In closing I'll post my fav picture of the year and it just happens to be taken in a dolphin rehab facility (and it was the hardest photograph to capture that I did all year technically and with the circumstances also). It is of Winter the dolphin. I have the honor of being her "photographer", at least underwater as she knows me well as I helped her recover from day one when she arrived in December 2005. She is the one in the news a lot and I'm also doing video documentation of her prosthetic tail. And the tail isn't just for some prosthetic expert to "experiment" - no not at all. Since she taught herself to swim without a tail fluke she may incur permanent debilitating and painful damage to her spine if we can't find some way of helping her at least part of the time swim like a normal dolphin. I feel for the prosthetic expert who "volunteered" to make her tail. He has already burned through many prototypes and just now is she starting to swim with one of them. And if you think she is being mistreated I must say........., absolutely not as she seems to absolutely "thrive" on all the attention and new things! (All I can do is express it in hugely anthropomorphic terms - she seems to really like being famous!!) :angry: Also if you saw the faces of the children with prosthetic limbs who come to see her ------ well I can't really even put that into words - it is an intensely touching experience to say the least.

     

    Unfortunately the subject of dolphins in captivity doesn't have clear-cut answers but responsible people along with organizations can make choices for the best in a situation that will never be for the best of course - dolphins should be in the ocean, but they can't always be......

     

    Would you have euthanized this dolphin on site at 2 months old when she was entangled in a discarded crab trap? Steve McCulloch, Director of Dolphin Research for Harbor Branch Ft Pierce Florida sure couldn't. He saw her struggle to survive and wanted her to live and effect change in the future for her good and the good of all. Best, Carol

     

    WinterSat_23June07_008_web2.jpg

    Edited by seagrant
  19. I did a quick search and came up with a bit of info on Marineland France. Interestingly enough it was started by a Brit....... and 1/2 their dolphins born at the facility. It said on his site the article could be reproduced - very interesting - read on...., I've never been there and would reserve judgement until I had observed all the data for myself but this is interesting:

     

    Link:

    http://www.jeremyjosephs.com/marineland.htm

     

    Quote, by Jeremy Josephs:

     

    A NICE TIME? A WHALE OF TIME?

    WHATEVER THE CASE - MARINELAND AWAITS !

    No degree in history is required to know that there is a long and distinguished history of Brits on the Côte d'Azur. The elegant Boulevard des Anglais in the bustling city of Nice is ample testimony of English influence that goes right back to Victorian times. It is perhaps only fitting, therefore, that the city's premier tourist attraction should be run by an ex-pat - in this instance Mike Riddell who oversees Nice's premier tourist attraction, Marineland, which he has successfully turned round into the number 4 theme park in France with some 1.5 million visitors per year.

     

    Aware that he was competing against such formidable Paris-based adversaries as Mickey Mouse and Astérix, he embarked upon a strategy which would enable him to play his trump card: to build a series of pools permitting the visitor to get so close to half a dozen killer whales and over two dozen man-eating sharks that you can practically reach out and touch them. And with a cast-iron guarantee that you won't have to sacrifice your life in the process. Well, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, so to speak, and I have to say both my 15 year old son and I had (and do forgive me for this) .a whale of a time. We really did. There are no rides to go on, no queues to stand in, it was simply an opportunity to observe and enjoy these beautiful animals at incredibly close quarters.

     

    It was Roland de la Poype's fascination for the sea and its inhabitants that led him to found Marineland in 1970. It is now the largest Marine Park in Europe with seven dolphins, a host of seals, penguins and sea lions. It also boasts a remarkable Maritime Museum and new aquaria with tropical fish and jellyfish. Do not be misled by the name Marineland, however, for the site is in fact composed of five different parks; the Marine Park, the Little Farm, Butterfly Jungle, Adventure Gold and Aqua-Splash, so cliché though it be - there really is something for all the family.

     

    It was Riddell's construction of the killer whale pool, though, which continues to be the biggest draw. With a stretch of water as large as a football field and a volume of nearly 10 million gallons, it is the most spectacular killer whale pool in the world and made all the more special by its transparent wall which allows for unparalleled viewing of these magnificent mammals weighing up to two tons.

     

    And for those of you about to cry out "Free Willy" take note: the park's activities are not restricted to performing dolphins and spectacular shows. For it also embraces scientific research and the protection of the Mediterranean marine environment. In fact its marine mammal reproduction programme has resulted in half of its inhabitants being born in situ and numerous veterinary discoveries in marine mammal husbandry. Riddell has also been particularly active in RIMMOS (International Maritime Reserve for Marine Mammals in the Western Mediterranean) campaigns that led to the official creation of a whale and dolphin sanctuary by France, Italy and Monaco back in the winter of 1999.

     

    If its impressive facts and figures that you are after then you are also heading off to the right place. For Marineland's sea water filter station processes 9000 cubic metres of water per hour as powerful as the one belonging to the city of Nice. The main pool's architect, Alain Semmel, saw to it that the pool's walls were 210 feet long, 15 feet high and 17cm thick he then added a roofing structure similar to the elegant Stade de France resulting in a massive stadium capable of seating almost 4,000 guests.

     

    Situated on 50 acres of the French Riviera and just a stone's throw from the sea, Riddell likes to consider that his Park rebalances the area back towards tourism and helps to redress the high-tech image of the département often dominated by computing companies at nearby Sophia-Antipolis. But Riddell'ss most heartfelt boast is that of the 9 killer whale births to have taken place in the artificial environment of the theme park world, no less than a third took place at Marineland. He is equally proud of his links with Operation Delphis, which calls upon yachtsmen to collect samples and vital information for scientific research on the Mediterranean and the protection of its whales and dolphins.

     

    Of course there's no getting away from the fact that the killer whales steal the show. They are the show. And for those anxious to cool off from the heat of the summer sun a killer whale induced drenching is all part and parcel of the proceedings. But my son and I couldn't pull ourselves away from the tunnelled aquarium (Europe's largest) where the sharks rule the roost. They come so close, literally within a few inches that it provides a rare treat not to be missed.

     

    You've got to pay attention to the three Es, you know, Mike Riddell concludes.

     

    Your 3 Es?

     

    That's right. Entertainment, education and the environment. They all go hand in hand. Of course people go away with lingering images of the killer whales, sharks and dolphins. And that's the way it should be. But behind the scenes we have over 150 staff working full time throughout the year to ensure that we never lose sight of these three Es.

     

    Es right you know, that Riddell. But would one expect otherwise from an enterprising Englishman on the Cote d'Azur?

     

    Ends:

     

    Marineland

    Le Parc de la Mer

    RN 7 �€“ Antibes

    Tel: + 33 (0)4 93 33 49 49

    www.marineland.fr

     

    Open 365 days a year

     

    Entrance: Marineland 149 francs (adults), 99 francs (children 3 to 12)

    Additional fees for each of the separate parks.

    Passport for two days for the 5 parks: 285 francs (adults), 215 francs (children)

     

    All rights belong to Jeremy Josephs.

    Edited by seagrant
  20. It is interesting how this thread has developed from an initial reaction of "oh, my god how could they" to an "actually it is not all bad".

     

    Interesting info, Carol. And this is already quite old (given that the prices are in Francs not Euros). One would expect that they would have become more focused on conservation and had more captive births in the last decade.

     

    Alex

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.