Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

D200 housing mod to D300

Started by shchae ·

  • 55Posts
  • 55Replies

Read-only discussion

D200 housing mod to D300

55 posts
  1. Hi

    Work is in process & it can be done.

    Subal D200 housing was tighter than Nexus but, still has room to adopt

    D300 with minor mod, using even same base plate + same back plate.

     

    So far,

    1.Lens hole is centered.

    2.Using same base plate (front steel piece for D200 removed & new

    D300 plate will be added to secure the camera properly).

    3.Need to tune a spring botton & on/off switch. Minor work.

    4.Using same back plate. (extra shoes need to be added like I did on Nexus).

     

    I am not drilling new hole or plugging the hole. Goal is to modify

    the housing with small screw driver & allen keys in 10-15 min. & put

    it back to original in same amount of time as needed, all at minimum cost.

     

    Sam

    post-815-1201061865_thumb.jpg

    post-815-1201061930_thumb.jpg

  2. keep it up Sam, you're a legend.

  3. brilliant !

     

    :):P:guiness:

  4. Sam. you are awesome

     

    Let me know when you are done.

     

    I would like one!

  5. It looks like the viewfinder doesn't line up. Can you still see through there?

     

    Otherwise - good news!

     

    Cheers

    James

  6. James,

    View Finder is in line & see clearly.

     

    I tried not to make new base plate but, finally found new base plate is needed & my machinest is making it now. For lens to be in center, I am using Subal 105mm VR port as a guide, as this port is so tight in length/width & you cannot put the port if lens is 2mm off center & it is centered and all controls are working.

     

    I am off to Philippines in weekend with my Nexus housing with D300. I will post pic from there.

     

    Sam

    Edited by shchae
  7. James,

    View Finder is in line & see clearly.

     

    I tried not to make new base plate but, finally found new base plate is needed & my machinest is making it now. For lens to be in center, I am using Subal 105mm VR port as a guide, as this port is so tight in length/width & you cannot put the port if lens is 2mm off center & it is centered and all controls are working.

     

    I am off to Philippines in weekend with my Nexus housing with D300. I will post pic from there.

     

    Sam

     

    Thanks Tons Sam!!!!

     

    Yes, I agree too that if the fat 105vr lines up in the snug Subal 105vr port then the lens must be centered. Let us see pics!!

     

    Have Fun! And see lots of neat stuff! B) Carol

  8. Carol,

    I will post pics when I get new base plate next week.

     

    Sam

  9. Carol,

    I will post pics when I get new base plate next week.

     

    Sam

     

     

    Oh my!

     

    Can this be, or is this some cruel joke? Are you guys really saying that there is even the slightest possibility that, dare I say it... I could put a D300 in my ND20??

     

    I am too old for practical jokes. :-)

     

    Tell me more!

     

    Andy

  10. Hi,

    To me, D300 is same camera as D200 but, just 3mm thicker. If you move the camera 3mm backward(the reason I am making new base plate), all front controls + top controls should be in-line w/camera. The picture you see on top is D300 in ND20 & it should give you some idea.

    Now, D300 has a larger LCD & it makes back controls difficult but, still not too far & can be reached with little modification.

     

    Sam

    Edited by shchae
  11. Sounds like some of the people planning on selling their ND20's maybe holding onto them for a while longer - or at least until next week!

  12. Here is latest pictures;

     

    Showing new bracket in housing

    2244725657_dbd4e01482.jpg

     

    Front dial,on/off sw & shutter perfectly in line, with new brkt

    2245519122_68f17e0aa4.jpg

     

    Camera centered

    2244725773_a3ab75a8ac.jpg

     

    Front end of new brkt

    2245519256_7eafe3cc09.jpg

     

     

    2245519306_48edf1efbe.jpg

     

    Side Key/ Backplate

    2244725965_45091b9536.jpg

     

     

    2244726179_67da98dcfc.jpg

     

    New vs. Original brkt

    2244726221_4e50e32484.jpg

    Edited by shchae
  13. Hi,

    80% of work is done & still working on right side control of back plate. It is time consuming work as I cannot see the camera through backplate & I expect it will take 3-4 more days to complete. Working on Nexus was a lot easier.

     

    Sam

    Edited by shchae
  14. 3 more pictures.

     

    105mm VR port attached

    2245615666_6389b55413.jpg

     

     

    2245615718_c83e2bfcda.jpg

     

     

    2244821667_d8cd960728_o.jpg

  15. wow! and wow! and wow again! Cool.

     

    Hope is back again. It would be really ridicules if a new housing should have had to be bought for slightly modified camera body (yeah, re-drawn inside but minimal changes on the outside...). I was longing for a new backplate from Subal, and personally I think that it is a mod which should have been made by them. I don't find it too fair to get a new housing.

     

    But this news had brighten my day, thanks :wacko:

  16. I've heard from a reliable source that Subal will make a new back for their D200 housing that will accommodate the D300. But first they have to meet the demand for D300 housings, so it will be around midyear.

  17. I am always so impressed with the ingenuity of some of the folks on Wetpixel. Well done! I wonder if Aquatica will come through with an adaption....Jean, oh Jean??? Take pity on the unmechanically inclined amongst us!

    Cheers,

    Marli

  18. All,

    I am pleased to report all right side back controls are fully working & project is

    complete. I received few PM asking about availability of this kit & will make

    few extra kits & make it available to members.

     

    Screen Window on Subal back cover is not wide enough to show full size

    picture but, is enough to see quality of picture and choose the control.

     

    Sam

  19. That is impressive.

    Any chance to do the same with Sea&Sea DX-D200?

  20. Hi,

    There are some questions on how to install the kit to Subal housing & here is some info.

     

    The kit consist of following;

     

    1.New base plate (w/vertical plate) - 1 each; Replace old one.

    2.New Mode Lock - 1 each ; It is a tappered washer looking thing. Replace old one.

    3.Extension arm - 5 each; Add to back control

    4.Lead wire - U type - 4+2 ; it is used as spacer.

     

    1.New Base plate: Found some d300 has thicker rubber skin & need fine tune

    the half moon area of vertical plate & make sure camera is properly

    seating on the plate as shown.

     

     

    2.Mode Lock holder: Original holder touches with camera & it must be replaced with

    the one I supply (picture shown). Otherwise, camera will be tilted & it makes

    lens off the center + make on/off switch hard to turn.

     

    3.Extension Arm: Add to back left control of housing.

     

    4.Lead wire: This is where people has problem/issues/questions.

    U wire is to add to back side of push buttons of selector wheel as shown in picture.

    However, there are reports that some camera/housing has more space than others.

    My suggestion is double check base plate & make 100% sure camera is seating

    properly & add double or more wire as necessary. If problem continues, pls, let me

    know so that I can arrange to look at it when I am in US next time.

     

    There is also, a report that review & delete bottun are short & I suggest use same

    method to extend it.

     

    So far, modified Subal housing was tested with 105mm VR, 12-24mm, 10.5mm & Tokina 10-17mm

    & found all works fine.

     

    Re availability of kit, I know some people sent me PM & e-mails and sorry I am slow to answer as I was

    busy/traveling with my job. My machinest makes 10 kit at the time & next batch will be avail in a week.

     

    Sam

    post-815-1209436294_thumb.jpg

    post-815-1209436623_thumb.jpg

    post-815-1209437528_thumb.jpg

    Edited by shchae
Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.