Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

How to Improve WP

Started by MikeVeitch ·

  • 65Posts
  • 65Replies

Read-only discussion

How to Improve WP

65 posts
  1. I agree that with an established member who has already posted in other areas you can be a little sterner, but for newbies i think softly softly is the best way to start, once you engage with them in their thread maybe begin to offer more 'severe' criticism. Anyhoo, each to their own, there is no right way to do it, was just my thoughts on the matter.

     

    I mean, Bartus, what about your grainy avatar? :D

  2. ...softly softly...

    Are you talking about photography...or something else :D:lol:

     

    I mean, Bartus, what about your grainy avatar? :D

     

    :):P:D As our "beloved" D Schwartz "complimented" it looked as if taken with a webcam by a 2nd grader :D ...but hey, I am just grainy :lol:;)

  3. I mean, Bartus, what about your grainy avatar? :D

     

     

    Ouch, flashbacks hurt :lol: I had not thought of that one in awhile. :lol:

  4. lol

    No, honestly, I made my avatar grainy in order for the Ladies (not those in pink dresses) to focus on my inner beauty instead of my unresistable and gorgeous looks

     

    :D:lol::lol:;):D:) B)

  5. lol

    No, honestly, I made my avatar grainy in order for the Ladies (not those in pink dresses) to focus on my inner beauty instead of my unresistable and gorgeous looks

     

    :D:lol::lol:;):D:) B)

     

    Make sure to check for Adam Apples just in ccase, based on some of the shots I have seen of the pink dress brigade it is very easy to get confused :D:P

  6. It's not really a grainy avatar, he's just unshaven! Check out his big pic to impress the chicks on his WP bio.

  7. It's not really a grainy avatar, he's just unshaven! Check out his big pic to impress the chicks on his WP bio.

     

     

    Oh, please you know nothing about photography. It is obviously grainy and when I buy a camera at some point in the future I will find Bartus and show you that you are wrong. It is simply not acceptable that an avatar is not up to my standards and I cannot believe that you think it is acceptable.

     

     

     

     

    :D

  8. Oh, please you know nothing about photography.

    Did you not read the earlier posts about not discouraging those of us more sensitive types, especially those who wear pink a lot., :lol::D:lol:

  9. Make sure to check for Adam Apples...

     

    An Adam's apple is the least I'm worried about :D:lol: :lol: ;) (leaving the room, my back against the wall :D )

    Edited by bartusderidder
  10. Did you not read the earlier posts about not discouraging those of us more sensitive types, especially those who wear pink a lot., :lol::D:lol:

     

    JANUARY 28, 2008

    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

     

    NEW COURSE ANNOUNCED

     

    Dive Innovation Programs is pleased to announce they have teamed up with a yet to be detemined diving association to introduce the Dive Innovation Programs - Sensitive Human Interaction Training course for divers.

     

    The following press release from Dick Diver, president of Dive Innovation Programs issued a release in connection with the Dive Innovation Programs - Sensitive Human Interaction Training course:

     

    "People, in general are insensitive to others and no where else is it more evident than in divers. Truthfully, they seem to be at the bottom of the gene pool. Really, take a look at them. They often come up with snot on their face and joke about urinating in their wet suit, I mean c'mon, do you expect these type of people to have any consideration for the feelings of others? Would you want to sit down to dinner with these types as they guzzle down their thunderbird? I think not.

     

    We have seen a virtual explosion of complaints and hurt feelings from a very special group of individuals in the diving community, namely the group that calls themselves the "Pink Ladies, Sort Of" which consist of divers which seem to also be heavily involved in underwater photography or videoograpohy. It is unexplained why there is a correlation between the Pink Ladies and photography though it also unexplained why anyone in their right mind also carries a ton of things all over the world to take photos when they have a ton of dive gear to drag along. Sounds like WAY too much work to me.

     

    Anyway we have seen so many courses offered for divers, such a Rescue Diver, Nitrox and CPR/AED Training for divers. and we question the vailidty and necessity for such courses in light of the pressing issue facing divers - sensitvity training.

     

    The Dive Innovation Programs - Sensitive Human Interaction Training course was created to address this issue and is for all levels of divers and that every diver carry this card. Of course we want to reach out immediately to those the people who find dart playing kilt wearing men, divers doing strange things with gnomes and the Pink Ladies themselves, since these groups seem to need this more than any other group out there."

     

    Mr. Diver had no further commment and is believed to be working on a project for waterproof lady fingers and tea cups for the rumored advanced Dive Innovation Programs - Sensitive Human Interaction Training course that is in development.

  11. NEW COURSE ANNOUNCED

     

    Do I need to shave to sign up?

     

     

     

    :D

  12. Personally, I like it when people post images inlined or attached to the forum post. An anecdote about the shot -- what it took to get it, why the poster thinks it's interesting, etc. helps to get people interested as well.

     

    Thanks Eric! I'll post a new request and try again

     

    Steve

  13. Drew, you have far too much time on your hands.

  14. Drew, you have far too much time on your hands.

     

     

    LOL. No it was just that Loftus mentioned the sensivity issue and in an amazing stroke of luck I found that press release from today. :D

     

    It is actually kind of funny but right now actually jammed up on time and that is when I usually find the extra time.

  15. I think one of the most important things is to feel welcomed. A new poster to wetpixel does not like to feel ignored. One of the things my friend mentioned to me, although not stressed in her post here, is that she posted a photo for critique. Apparently no one replied to her request so she was somewhat put off by wetpixel.

     

    Totally agree with this. I remember posting some photos last year and not getting any feedback/replies on them. While it didn't put me off too much, I could see how it could. The majority of my posts are in the Consumer/Digicams area, because I feel like I can contribute there, and the majority of my questions relate to there, but I'm yet to put other photos up to be critiqued.

     

    On the other hand, like a lot of others on here, I'm just happy to read what those with more experience have to talk about.

     

    And I know it's been said before, but the site does run very slowly from this part of the world.

    Edited by aussie
  16. How about feed back from a brand new poster?

     

    As many of you know, I've been posting on other dive photo boards for years. It is interesting that several have suggested help topics and such. As I recall, the thing that kept me away from wetpixel when I was the huge selection of different forums overwhelmed me. The other dive photo board I was using seemed much simpler and at the time there was plenty of feed back to keep me busy.

     

    I peek at Wetpixel on rare occasion. I don't know why I have not posted until now. Some how I just never felt motivated to post. Perhaps it was related to my infrequent viewing. By the time I read a post any thing I might have said had already been said so no need.

     

    So, why do I post now? Probably because no one has mentioned being overwhelmed by the size of the board yet. I should say that now, as a more experienced UW photographer, the size does not seem so overwhelming, probably because I have a better clue what I have interest in now so can sort things out better.

  17. we also split it up last year to make it not so overwhelming and group similar things together so i hope

    that helps too :blush:

  18. we also split it up last year to make it not so overwhelming and group similar things together so i hope

    that helps too :)

     

    Thanks Mike, it does look less "busy" than I remember, perhaps that is why.

  19. Just to bring this thread up again.

    Is there anywhere on site one can find out the voting for POTW for all shots not just winners? I would like to know how voting is counted and even if I got one vote I would be pleased. I have not yet been placed which is not surprising cos I haven't seen one by me I wanted to vote for. If it's all by automatic counting it should be possible to display votes at least for a short time after voting closes.

    Tim Digger

  20. I think that is a top idea.

     

    I havent entered any competitions recently .. but in an online fun competition it could really help users to judge their own images by public appeal.

     

    I think each user should be able to see the info for their own images, not all images, and the info should if possible be like .. No. of Views, No. of Votes, Percentage of Votes, avg position of votes .. of course that all gets complicated as we have 1st 2nd 3rd ... some way to portray to the poster .. how was this image recieved . in a numerical sense. then if the user wants more feed back they can maybe click a link by the image to start a critique thread about it to get written feedback from users.

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.