Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

How to Improve WP

Started by MikeVeitch ·

  • 65Posts
  • 65Replies

Read-only discussion

How to Improve WP

65 posts
  1. but in an online fun competition it could really help users to judge their own images by public appeal.

    This was my thought exactly Giles, even quite simply done it would be informative, total number of votes cast how many did mine get, , possibly how many the top three got.

    But can anyone tell me how votes are counted, I presume 3 for 1st 2 for 2nd etc. Am I right.

    Tim Digger

  2. While we think about implementing this, you may or may not have noticed that on the completion of a POTW, the entries are sorted and displayed in order of highest to lowest point totals.

     

    That is, it lists 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, etc placings. At the very least, you can figure out your relative score :D.

    Edited by segal3
  3. While we think about implementing this, you may or may not have noticed that on the completion of a POTW, the entries are sorted and displayed in order of highest to lowest point totals.

     

    That is, it lists 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, etc placings. At the very least, you can figure out your relative score :D.

     

    Thanks indeed. I had noticed the first three but had not realised the rest had been ranked, alas I shall be pleased to be half way up one day.

    Tim Digger

  4. I think something simple would be to add information about the photos being submitted in picture of the week - A, SS, ISO, strobes, etc.

     

    Sometimes I see a shot and am curious of the exposure settings for the photo - but no can.

     

    Bryce

     

    I must agree with Bryce.

    Not all of us get the opportunity to shoot hundreds of UW photos each year. Certainly it is better now than when I started with 1 roll of 36 exposures (maybe even got them developed same day).

     

    However, many of the high-end photo mags ALWAYS include the camera, film, lens and exposure info with each photo. This type of info is invaluable to the newbie like me.

  5. I am intimidated by these long threads that I don't have time to read and I worry I'm going to say something stupid because I didn't read everything. OK...not really!

     

    I've met quite a few people on dive trips that talk about things they've read on Wetpixel, but they have never posted anything. I guess its like walking into a room full of strangers. Its much easier for newbies when you've already met someone face-to-face. So I think we need to have more Wetpixel parties.

     

    There are some people on Wetpixel that I have never met, yet feel like I know them just from corresponding with them here. But even for me its easier if I know who I'm talking to. It really helps if other members have information about themselves in their profile and maybe even a picture of them self. A link to their website is also really nice so I can check them out and see if they really are as good as they say they are. I'm saying that tongue-in-cheek, but you know what I mean.

     

    The quality level of the photography here is also very high, which could be intimidating for the beginner. Its a good thing I'm a pro, because I sure wouldn't want to compete in your photo contest. There's just way too much good stuff there. I'd never win! It might be pretty tough for someone just getting into underwater photography to compete. Maybe a beginners category for people with less shooting experience.

     

    All forum websites have their good guys, bad guys, know-it-alls, leaders, followers, instigators, and enablers. Anything put in writing can come across much more harsh than if it had been said verbally. Most the members here on Wetpixel do a good job of commenting and giving feedback without sugar-coating or being totally critical. But I agree with what other people already said. Nobody likes to be ignored.

     

    I do hope that Wetpixel never gets to be like some of the other scuba boards. I know that I can always come here to get real-world answers to questions, get real recommendations from real divers without all the fluff and idle chit-chat from suspicious unidentified posters who have multiple personalities.

     

    The very idea of starting this thread in the first place just goes to show what a class act Wetpixel is.

    Edited by segal3
Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.