No doubt, Drew, but your point is a long way from proof that the locals don't care. Can either you or oceangrl honestly claim you know all the issues involved in the pollution there? I'm not advocating pollution, I'm objecting to the assignment of blame.
I would say that the pollution in Lembeh is part ignorance and part poverty. I'm certain the locals would prefer the problem not exist but they lack the time, resources, and understanding to deal with it. If oceangrl wants to believe it's due to thoughtless divemasters then she's free to do so, but it's far outside my personal experience with the divemasters there.
I routinely witness people in my own communities throwing garbage whereever it suits them. Yes, I consider them a-holes but they live in a society that knows better. In Lembeh, garbage is everywhere and the community stardards of behavior are different. Hanlon's razor applies in this case.
That said, if we all decided to pitch in and clean up Lembeh's trash problem overnight, it would not transform their pollution issue. Too many people there live in circumstances where they can't afford to care about it and won't give it a second thought. We can afford to care about environmental issues because we've been born into cultures with a high living standard and have never known differently. Yes, our opinion on the matter is healthier but it isn't entirely of to our credit. I often say, from personal experience, that wealthy people almost universally believe they are wealthy because they are better than ones who aren't. Before judging the locals in Lembeh, walk a mile in their shoes.