[EDIT - this post has been moved to a new thread by moderator]
[After seeing Ron's pictures in this thread, Alex added these comments on an issue that's being brewing for some time.]
I am aware that octopuses do swim. I have seen both mimic and wonderpus swimming. But we are suddenly seeing lots and lots of these shots coming from Lembeh. And in most of them the octopus are not swimming but instead seemingly sinking back to the seabed with their legs in the air. And this makes me concerned that they have been encouraged up into the water and are now drifting down.
I think it all started with Michael Aw's winning image in the BBC Wildlife Photographer Of The Year 2006. His image was stunning and when I first saw it I was bowled over.
http://www.michaelaw.com/masite2006/BBCwildlife2006.htm.
Michael says that he spent a great deal of time with the octopus and says it was swimming naturally. Maybe it was. Although most of the underwater photography community think differently. Who knows?
Anyway, to some extent that is not really the point. Michael's high profile success and the eye catching nature of the shot has caused many to want to emulate it. And over the last 18 months I have seen many, many shots like this. All from Lembeh.
What concerns me is that photographers have been pressuring the diveguides in Lembeh to "create" this opportunity for them. And now it has become standard practice. And as a photographer you might not even know it was going on. Diveguide disappears into the murk, guest hears banging on tank, diveguide points to freeswimming octopus, guest takes photographs, diveguide gets a healthy tip. That said, I am not blaming the guides - we drive this behaviour.
To look at the bigger picture - is lifting an octopus really a big crime? Maybe not. And I guess my long reply and rant has really been triggered because I am seeing these shots repeatedly now (rather than at your particular example). Also many underwater photographers have commented to me that they feel similarly about these mid-water benthic octopus images.
Curiously little has been said before for fear of people putting it down to personal issues with Michael Aw! I feel free to comment because I actually get on well with Michael. So I am sorry for hi-jacking your thread, I think that this one has been bubbling under for some time.
I guess I wanted to post something against these shots in general before they become the new inflated pufferfish of underwater photography. There is no issue in the copying or wish to emulate a well known image. Everyone does this. The problem is when this process is causing diveguides or photographers to repeated harass marine life.
Alex
[also edited by Alex]