Dear Allison et al,
I can understand your objection to my moving the cuttlefish egg from its original point of attachment. Perhaps I was not quite clear enough about what I did after taking the photo of the egg laid on the surface of the branching coral colony. After the shot I gently pushed the egg back down among the corals branches far enough that it would be difficult for a predator without "fingers" to remove. "a safe place" Additionally the eggs were quite close to hatching and the egg I had photographed was again among a number of eggs from the same batch. I think that the real danger to the little cuttlefish was far more likely to come during the time when it and its siblings were hatching and trying to disperse. It is this danger, from predators, that is the reason that many animals who provide no parental guarding and defense lay so many eggs.
My relating this incident concerning the picture in Scuba Diver had several errors. I have since seen the magazine on another news stand. The picture I commented on actually won the grand prize in the contest and not just the macro division. And of course Scuba Diver is the magazine Stephen Frink is Photo editor/Director for. And considering his experience in the ocean, and the fact that he probably had a role in the selection of this picture as the grand prize winner, I find it even harder to accept excuses that no one at the magazine was unaware that the information accompanying the picture was so misleading.
Fred