Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Wetpixel Google Map

Started by cor ·

  • 60Posts
  • 60Replies

Read-only discussion

Wetpixel Google Map

60 posts
  1. The idea has been mentioned a few times on Wetpixel. A world map of wetpixel members. I have made a first version of such a map, where everyone that wants to participate can place a marker. It is obviously up to each individual member to decide if they want to add a marker to the map.

     

    The map is currently still in beta, which means portions of it could still change and you may run into some bugs. Opening it up to everyone allows us to get feedback and bugreports.

     

    The map can be reached on http://wetpixel.com/maps. To place your own marker click on the edit link. All you have to do is place a marker where you live (I suggest leaving a bit of room between your marker and your actual home). You dont need to add any information to the marker, this will be done automatically from your forum information. To help you find your home, ive also provided a geo locator. Just enter your address in the search form and it'll zoom into that spot. To place a marker you have to be logged into the forum.

     

    Please post feedback in this thread.

     

    http://wetpixel.com/maps

     

    Cor

  2. Hi

     

    Thanks Cor. This is a really phenomenal idea, and answers some of the demand in the Buddy Location Database thread. However it will only work if people post on the map...so come on guys and girls, put your flag on the map.

     

    Cheers

     

    Hal

  3. cool.

  4. I log in, go to the map, click on edit - nothing happens ???

  5. Does the top right of the window show a 'Logout' link? Just making sure you're actually logged in according to this page. Maybe something there doesnt sync right.

     

    Cor

  6. Hi

     

    Thanks Cor. This is a really phenomenal idea, and answers some of the demand in the Buddy Location Database thread. However it will only work if people post on the map...so come on guys and girls, put your flag on the map.

     

    Cheers

     

    Hal

    I could have tried to geo-locate everyones address, but just too many of them say 'USA' or something broad like that. Good luck with that ;) Besides that practical point, I strongly feel this is an opt-in service, not an opt-out service.

     

    Cor

  7. This is excelent idea but by the time all members sign in we will see only baloons, no map:)

     

    cheers

  8. Nah, way before that happens Google Maps will have come to a crashing halt. By the time we have a few hundred markers I'll implement a filtering system to make sure a visible map will only show a certain amount of markers. I will probably base this on the amount of posts someone has made. The sidebar will probably always show all participating members, but if that grows too big I may add a search box there.

  9. Hey COR,

     

    Thanks, this is really neat. I just posted my position with no trouble. Hey, I'm the first one from North Carolina too! ;)

     

    resappraiser

  10. Does the top right of the window show a 'Logout' link? Just making sure you're actually logged in according to this page. Maybe something there doesnt sync right.

     

    Cor

     

     

    When I first bring up the home site this flashes across the top of the screen during the load up process for 2-3 seconds:

     

    IPB WARNING [2] implode() [function.implode]: Bad arguments. (Line: 462 of /sources/action_public/login.php)

     

    then the screen continues onto the normal "log in " screen and I log in with no problems.

    It now shows: Logged in as: okuma ( Log Out ) and I can post as normal??

  11. That is such a cool feature.

     

    Alex

  12. Okuma, and you still cant add any markers on the map?

  13. im the first diver in UAE ( United Arab Emirates) but i cant add any more details like my phone # or email ,, how can i do that

  14. Its all taken from your profile. Click on your name to see your profile and to edit it.

  15. I'm not too thrilled about my eMail address showing up on the link.

    I get enough crapmail already.

    Any way to mask that?

  16. If my balloon were in the vicinity of Cor's balloon, I would run over and give him a big hug, and then buy him a beer.

     

    Hmm. Our balloons will overlap briefly later on this month in the Bahamas. I'll have to think of some way to thank him. :guiness:

     

    I'm not too thrilled about my eMail address showing up on the link.

    I get enough crapmail already.

    Any way to mask that?

    Go to the board e-mail settings and make sure " Hide my email address from other members" is checked.

  17. What? No one from Ice land? Didn't someone say they were from there?

  18. The data shown in the map is taken from your profile. To edit any part of it, go to this link..

     

    On the left you see more options you can edit. If you add an avatar, it's also shown in the map. And like Eric posted, you can edit your email settings there as well. Feel free to suggest more data to be shown in the map's user popup.

     

    Cor

  19. Nice to know where everyone lives.

    No problem with leaving my marker.

     

    Marc

  20. hey, cool feature! the second diver from hungary! (actually the first because jules is at the moment stationed elsewhere - hey, I have a whole country!)

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.