Very cool Cor! Now I wonder who this other wetpixelite on STX is....
- 60Posts
- 60Replies
Read-only discussion
Wetpixel Google Map
-
-
I wondered that myself as well

-
Hi Cor
Very nice feature!!!!
But I can not make it work. Every time I click on edit your position, it ask me to log in. I log in, come back an then it ask to log in again.
I have tried firefox, safari, and IE.
Am I missing something?
Thanks
Marcelo.
Unfortunately this probably has nothing to do with the map itself but with the underlying authentication. Are you perhaps not accepting cookies? Or otherwise using some security measure that could interfere with this?
Do you see that you're logged in in the top-right corner?
-
Do you see that you're logged in in the top-right corner?
huummmm no. I see that I am logged in on the top left corner at the forums pages, but it does not show that I am logged in on the top right corner, neither on the map or the front page.
I will look at the security/cookies issue...
Thanks
Marcelo
-
If you're not logged into the front page, it wont work. The maps page uses that same authentication. The only thing I can see in the source is that it checks for a cookie. Another possibility could be that you're behind a proxy that keeps changing its ip#
-
It's when you really zoom into a person's position on the map that it becomes apparent that so many Wetpixellers live out in the street. Is it the cost of underwater photography to blame for the fact that so few of us seem to have a roof over our heads?
-
It's a privacy issue, and I recommend that one doesnt pinpoint their exact position.
-
It's a privacy issue, and I recommend that one doesnt pinpoint their exact position.
I like John's reasoning more, though yours makes more sense

-
Two more things. First, i added a person's real name if they have it set in the profile. Second, you can directly access your own marker by providing an id to the URL like this:
http://wetpixel.com/maps/?id=1029
You can find your own ID by hovering over your own name in any part of the forum. If it's clickable it'll show you a number. That's your ID. Try hovering over my name on the left of this posting and you'll see 1029. Check my sig on how you could theoretically use that option.. edit: this was phrased wrong. On firefix if you hover over it you'll see the URL it'll go to on the bottom of the screen. Other browser may not do that. Just click on my name instead and you'll see 1029 mentioned in the URL bar.
-
You can find your own ID by hovering over your own name in any part of the forum. If it's clickable it'll show you a number. That's your ID. Try hovering over my name on the left of this posting and you'll see 1029. Check my sig on how you could theoretically use that option.
Hovering didn't work for me, weird. But I can see the ID if I rightclick on the link and go to properties.
-
Guess im used to firefox, there you see the link in the bottom of the browser window. You can also just click on your name and in the URL bar you'll see your ID.
-
Two more things. First, i added a person's real name if they have it set in the profile. ...
The only issue I'd have with this is that the name field in the profile was filled out since it says "for prize distribution only, not public". You just made it so.
Would suggest if you want to use the names in the map that the profile have another entry, one for prize distribution, not public and one for map/other public use, at the user's option.
I'm not really raising a stink - my name is easy enough to find elsewhere on the internet - but you do have a privacy policy issue with saying a field isn't public when it's been divulged.
-
You are absolutely right, and I have removed it again. This option got added after a short discussion with another wetpixel moderator on the wetpixel bahamas trip and I guess neither of us realized that info was private.
-
Like I said, I didn't mind...just wanted to let you know you had a contradiction. If you were to add a field to the profiles that would be 'name to show on map', I'd have filled mine in. It's kind of a buddy-finder sort of service in that way. Although my 'better half' gives me the gimlet eye anytime I even think about diving without her (unless it's cold water!
)By the way, I never did say 'neat application' did I? Just put my location in (no street surfing for me, my house ain't exactly going to be a target because someone knows I dive) and took it for granted. So...neat application!

-
Awesome feature. However I just had to move to the hills as Mike Veitch was always on top of me!
Why do some of the members names show up when you go over them and others don't?
-
Mike probably prefers to be on top.
Which names dont show up? They should all show.
-
I've worked out that it's only when members are bunched up close. When I moved away from Mike everything was fine.
I'd love to comment more about Mike being on top, though I'll refrain for now and leave it to others who know him much better than me!
-
hmmm... interesting turn this thread is taking..
Does it have something to do with the reputation of Sanur?!? I should add my X address to it eh?

-
Hey Mike, Fancy a cold drink later? It looks like it's gonna be another hot one today! Where are you now?
-
I placed my marker but when I logged in again I could not find it?