Skip to content

Trip Reports and Travel / Archived topic

Wetpixel Ocean Safari begins Monday

Started by Drew ·

  • 180Posts
  • 180Replies

Read-only discussion

Wetpixel Ocean Safari begins Monday

180 posts
  1. The official Wetpixel Ocean Safari boat will start next week. I'll be jumping on another crew's boat for a bit before and after the WP boat comes and goes.

    Stay tuned for 'almost' daily reports IF I can get Eric or Matt to update regularly.

    The sardines are stretching from East London to Hole in the wall! This is going to be a good one I hope.

    Edited by Drew
  2. Stay tuned for 'almost' daily reports IF I can get Eric or Matt to update regularly.

     

     

    Sounds like it is going to be a good one. Just take the computer rights away from Eric and Matt if they move too slow and post. :D

  3. The official Wetpixel Ocean Safari boat will start next week. I'll be jumping on another crew's boat for a bit before and after the WP boat comes and goes.

    Stay tuned for 'almost' daily reports IF I can get Eric or Matt to update regularly.

    The sardines are stretching from East London to Hole in the wall! This is going to be a good one I hope.

     

    Looking forward to reading these postings! ;) The adventure in just getting there may as challenging as the diving with all the new airline hassles. :D

  4. Good luck, Drew. Are you dressed as spiderman this time? :D

  5. I am looking forward to these posts, as I plan to be doing the sardine run next year this time.

  6. Unofficial reports of big baitballs are overexaggerated:

    As usual, more disinformation for the tourists and suckers like us. Activity is picking up but still no huge activity. Just couple hundred dolphins and birds mulling around. Main show hasn't started yet.

    Humpbacks are starting to show in good numbers and as usual, the jumping sharks that I can't ever get a clear shot of and doing their thing. Viz looks a dreamy 40ft but I'm sure that'll change. Eric ,water is a not so dreamy 18°C/64°F so spidey may yet show up if I get into the water too many times a day. Even with my mighty RAADIATORRR, it's DARN cold!

    On news that doesn't have NDAs, the BBC with Hugh Person and Didier Noirot are also mulling around. I am still waiting for my superpod of thousands of dolphins to show in 100ft viz. :D

    Edited by Drew
  7. No matter what happens; the worst day on the water is still better than my best day in the office. Looking forward to some pics and video.

  8. Let's see, Jeff... we pay $XXX a day for crap and you get paid $XXXXX a day for crap... I'm torn :D

  9. Good news for the sardine netters today... they started netting sardines near Margate. Looks like pilot shoals (schools for the americanos) have shown up.

    Lots of activity up and down the coast but too fast moving to get anything. I'm moving north to catch this activity today... here we go again!

  10. Sardine netters are having a great day in Aberdeen KZN.

    The people on the dive boats are reporting great activity and I'm stuck travelling to arrange for the WP party. Sorry guys I may just abandon you all!

    Auntie Beebs crew is very happy now.

    We've been discussing which shots are most desirable this year. Bryde's Whale through baitball is cool but so 2003 but Doug's shot was slightly behind.

    So shot list for this year:

    1. So a more frontal head shot of Bryde's Whale in baitball.

    2. 8 fps gannet sequence from above water to snatching sardine in front of the camera.

    3. Sharks are so passé so to make it interesting... breaching C. Limbatus or Brachyrus.

    4. Triple breaching humpbacks.

    5. Ok sharks in baitballs are still ok... DP had 3 sharks...let's do 10 coming through a baitball.

    Edited by Drew
  11. Sardine netters are having a great day in Aberdeen KZN.

    The people on the dive boats are reporting great activity and I'm stuck travelling to arrange for the WP party. Sorry guys I may just abandon you all!

    Auntie Beebs crew is very happy now.

    We've been discussing which shots are most desirable this year. Bryde's Whale through baitball is cool but so 2003 but Doug's shot was slightly behind.

    So shot list for this year:

    1. So a more frontal head shot of Bryde's Whale in baitball.

    2. 8 fps gannet sequence from above water to snatching sardine in front of the camera.

    3. Sharks are so passé ³o to make it interesting... breaching C. Limbatus or Brachyrus.

    4. Triple breaching humpbacks.

    5. Ok sharks in baitballs are still ok... DP had 3 sharks...let's do 10 coming through a baitball.

    6. Blue whale with open mouth - at least

  12. 6. Blue whale with open mouth - at least

    7. Humpback whale jumps over the boat - 3 times

    8. hundreds of Orcas - spy spyhopping and jumps - at least

    :D

  13. Sigh Jens... now I know you've found a gf.

     

    Anyhow, the BBC crew has wrapped because the last few days were so good.

  14. Sigh Jens... now I know you've found a gf.

     

    Anyhow, the BBC crew has wrapped because the last few days were so good.

     

     

    I'll think you will find its because "They have such a small budget they couldn't possibly do anymore" :D:D:)

     

    Dive safe

     

    Dean(wheres my expenses sheet)B

  15. Had dinner with the Beeb crew last night. They didn't get their shots and and going back into bizniz. WP crew arrives tomorrow and we're in the water monday.

    Sardine activity is good but viz has gone away. Looks like the pilot activity is past and now we wait for the main show.

     

    Eric, remember the time we were following the ship with the dolphins on the opposite side of the IMAX boat.... that scene (minus us) is in WIld Oceans. :D

    Edited by Drew
  16. I remember that too !

    191197438_cea8f77852.jpg

    2577409215_fba6be3c6b.jpg

    2577409007_6f5399d498.jpg

     

    i'd love to go there again and do this .. it's on my list fo sho .... You in the same place as always with Peaky ?

  17. Everybody came in ok. One of the guys had a delayed bag and South African Airways tried to deliver to where we are... BUT.. because Andrej was eagerly calling the driver to check on the progress, the guy ran into a donkey and killed the car and animal about 1.5 hrs from where we are. We ended up paying for someone to go pick up his bag.

    On the activity end, the sardines are 15km long in activity and thousands of sharks, dolphins and birds litter the area. Viz is still shakey but tomorrow is the WP group's first day. Tough to get into action first day but I guess baptism by fire is nice too.

  18. Wish the best to the guys. Say hello to Pkee for me and Drew [the other] if he is around. How's TLC?

    Stay away from Monkey's...

    Have a good one.

  19. Boys got a good taste of 5000 dolphins which ran through us today. Alex and Andrej even got visits from humpbacks whilst shooting the dolphins but the viz was so bad they didn't see the whales while we were laughing on the boat. Viz is slowly improving so it's not bad for the 1st day.

    Edited by Drew
  20. Good god im jealous - it sounds absolutely awesome. Definately a holiday to go in the diary!!!!! :P:P:P

     

    Lou

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.