Skip to content

Trip Reports and Travel / Archived topic

Wetpixel Ocean Safari begins Monday

Started by Drew ·

  • 180Posts
  • 180Replies

Read-only discussion

Wetpixel Ocean Safari begins Monday

180 posts
  1. Actually I spoke with him and found out I've seen his art exhibition in NYC last year. I never thought it would be the same guy. Small world.

  2. Actually I spoke with him and found out I've seen his art exhibition in NYC last year. I never thought it would be the same guy. Small world.

     

    Cool ! You went to Makarevich art exhibition in NY ? Was it his personal or with group of other people ?

     

    In drinking frenzy of last night I forgot to ask Igor (guy who introduced us to Andrei) for his e-mail, but hi has mine, if he did not lose it - if you see him just nag him for that pictures of us with Makarevich (you can give him my e-mail again :P

     

    Anyway, here is few first pics from Wetpixel Ocean Safari - not the best ones, just sampler:

     

    _DSC2831-Edit.jpg

    _DSC3045-Edit.jpg

    _DSC3061-Edit.jpg

    _DSC3112-Edit.jpg

     

    taken with Nikon D300 + Nikkor 12-24mm in Sea&Sea housing with NX Compact Dome with two YS-250 strobes.

     

    Alexander Safonov

    http://pats0n.livejournal.com

    Edited by pats0n
  3. I'm impressed my billfish ID is spot on for once.

    Alex, there's a distinct lack of yellow/red in your pics. The common dolphins as you know have a light yellow patch and the gannets are really just blondes like you :P. Even the limbatus in your picture should have a bronzish appearance.

    Edited by Drew
  4. AWESOME. I love the sailfish shot

    Edited by stewsmith
  5. Yes, that sailfish shot, and the dolphins are both awesome shots. I agree w/ Drew - maybe a warmer white balance would help?

     

    Cheers

    James

  6. Wow looks fantastic.

     

    Alex are you using a dioptre on your 12-24mm? That smudging in the corners is what mine produces if I don't use a dioptre?

     

    Alex

  7. Wow; gotta go see this ASAP.

  8. Yes, that sailfish shot, and the dolphins are both awesome shots. I agree w/ Drew - maybe a warmer white balance would help?

     

    Cheers

    James

    James, I was going to use my Hrvatski accent but Alex is russian so it'd be insulting :)

     

    Alex are you using a dioptre on your 12-24mm? That smudging in the corners is what mine produces if I don't use a dioptre?

     

    Alex

    Hey Alex, stop talking to yourself :lol:. You also need to get more complimentary phrases...Wow it's fantastic has been used already. :P Oh and no soft corner debates on this thread please. :blink:

     

    Speaking of soft corners, Herb, I figured out the 12-24 needed a thicker 25mm extension to help the corners. It's now pretty decent even at f4.5.

     

    Hey Safanov

    One of your 250s died after the first baitball, didn't it?

     

    Jeff

    It's still going NOW! Get a flight quick! I just notified a film crew about it and they are dispatching a team like right now.

    Edited by Drew
  9. Jeff

    It's still going NOW! Get a flight quick! I just notified a film crew about it and they are dispatching a team like right now.

    Next year, this time SA is on the books.

  10. Well there may be a WP boat next year. You just have to convince Eric and me. LOL

  11. Damn you, Drew! Temptation...

     

    Next year is my year to stay home. I mean, aside from the 100 days or so of travel I already have booked.

  12. You're the guy (baitballs with whales!) with the horns and I'm tempting (thousands of dolphins!) you? I do submit thou doth protest (thousands of sharks!) too much (some breaching too!) methinks. So what's another 3 (thousand humpbacks) weeks to the hundred(s of gannets diving on your head!) odd days? Stay home? I consider South Africa home 1(mega baitball) month of the year. :P

     

    WP subliminal messaging courtesy of the RahDiAHTor man.

  13. I'm impressed my billfish ID is spot on for once.

    Alex, there's a distinct lack of yellow/red in your pics. The common dolphins as you know have a light yellow patch and the gannets are really just blondes like you :blink:. Even the limbatus in your picture should have a bronzish appearance.

     

    Well Drew, it will take few days before my WB will be restored to normal after all these adventures and I will be ready to have fresh look at images and process them properly :P) And I'm not just blonde, I'm blonde with yellow fins ! :)

     

    On serious note - thanks for advice, will think about your notes next time I open Lightroom.

     

    There is my Makarevich pictures ???!! :lol:

    Edited by pats0n
  14. Yes, that sailfish shot, and the dolphins are both awesome shots. I agree w/ Drew - maybe a warmer white balance would help?

     

    Cheers

    James

     

    James, thanks for advice - will definitely try warmer WB next time I run Lightroom :)

     

    Wow looks fantastic.

     

    Alex are you using a dioptre on your 12-24mm? That smudging in the corners is what mine produces if I don't use a dioptre?

     

    Alex

     

    Alex, I don't know what dioptre for 12-24mm is ;(( - will google it now, but I certainly don't use add-ons of any kind for lens. Your advice and feedback appreciated a lot, I'm big fan of your photos and very curious about all new shooting techniques you are using ! Thanks !

     

    James, I was going to use my Hrvatski accent but Alex is russian so it'd be insulting :blink:

    Hey Alex, stop talking to yourself :lol:. You also need to get more complimentary phrases...Wow it's fantastic has been used already. :P Oh and no soft corner debates on this thread please. :D

     

    Speaking of soft corners, Herb, I figured out the 12-24 needed a thicker 25mm extension to help the corners. It's now pretty decent even at f4.5.

     

    Hey Safanov

    One of your 250s died after the first baitball, didn't it?

     

    Jeff

    It's still going NOW! Get a flight quick! I just notified a film crew about it and they are dispatching a team like right now.

     

    Drew, you are right, I replaced one of YS-250 with died battery with spare YS-110. Bottom three shots are done YS-110 + YS-250.

     

    Good luck with activity and shooting ! I definitely want to come on WP boat (if any) next year, I will bring my yellow fins again ! :lol:

     

    You're the guy (baitballs with whales!) with the horns and I'm tempting (thousands of dolphins!) you? I do submit thou doth protest (thousands of sharks!) too much (some breaching too!) methinks. So what's another 3 (thousand humpbacks) weeks to the hundred(s of gannets diving on your head!) odd days? Stay home? I consider South Africa home 1(mega baitball) month of the year. :)

     

    WP subliminal messaging courtesy of the RahDiAHTor man.

     

    I'm having baitballs every night now ! Very big baitballs ! %)

    Edited by pats0n
  15. Just went out this morning and again the players were all out there. Just not a lot of action as it seems the predators are all satiated. I'm skipping tomorrow to concentrate on my volunteer project. Hopefully the guys heading out will find some great activity.

     

    _D2N8591.jpg

    The great torpedo whale... Bryde's (B.Edeni)

  16. Just went out this morning and again the players were all out there. Just not a lot of action as it seems the predators are all satiated. I'm skipping tomorrow to concentrate on my volunteer project. Hopefully the guys heading out will find some great activity.

     

    The great torpedo whale... Bryde's (B.Edeni)

     

    Great shot Drew - decent bryde's shot like this is one thing I want to do next time I go to Wild Coast. Good luck !

    Edited by pats0n
  17. _D2N2962.jpg

    More b/w shots.... this time of 60+ gannets in the water at the same time. It should be added that this baitball at that time was at 35ft/11m. A few scientific studies of the Morus Capensis claim max depth depth of the dive alone is 9m but I've seen them hit 14m/50ft to hit prey. They also can swim quite a long time (up to 20 seconds) before having to surface. I've seen them down at 70ft/20m before. They may not be shearwater class of divers but they sure are spectacular to watch.

    DPP07D8061D162325.jpg

    Edited by Drew
  18. More b/w shots.... this time of 60+ gannets in the water at the same time.

     

    Aarrrghhh... 60 gannets, whatever. ... (crying) I had to extend, I had ! :P

    Edited by pats0n
  19. What a spectacular dolphin shot, like jets in the water! Wonder how those gannets clear their ears? :P

    Edited by Drew
  20. Today was a nice day. Had another Bryde's whale buzz the baitball but we all missed it AGAIN! I think I'm going to just wait for the whales to come through and not shoot anything else. That's the 2nd time I missed it.

    The usual predators were again present in great numbers to feast on the red eye herring baitball. Hopefully I'll catch the Bryde's again tomorrow but I may not head out.

     

    What a spectacular dolphin shot, like jets in the water! Wonder how those gannets clear their ears? :P

    Errr Jeff the shots are mostly of gannets. They do exhale through their beaks :)

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.