Skip to content

Trip Reports and Travel / Archived topic

Wetpixel Ocean Safari begins Monday

Started by Drew ·

  • 180Posts
  • 180Replies

Read-only discussion

Wetpixel Ocean Safari begins Monday

180 posts
  1. My God this thread just keeps going and going...

     

    Alright I am totally sold, Drew have you secured any dates etc for next year? I wanna go, it looks awesome!

     

    Cheers for posting the images

     

    Jon

  2. My God this thread just keeps going and going...

     

    Alright I am totally sold, Drew have you secured any dates etc for next year? I wanna go, it looks awesome!

     

    Cheers for posting the images

     

    Jon

     

     

    You welcome ! Since you guys are still reading this thread one more funny bird picture I stumbled upon in my archive:

     

    _DSC2834-Edit-3.jpg

     

     

    I still have few more, however I'm off to Galapagos next week, and hopefully finally can change subject and stop annoying you with Sardine Run pics ! :) Again, I want to say thank you to Drew for such great trip - his knowledge and guidance were the key for us to enjoy experience and snap some ok shots this year. Thanks a lot and I personally hope Wetpixel will continue tradition of the Ocean Safari, if not next year then year after next !

  3. My God this thread just keeps going and going...

     

    Alright I am totally sold, Drew have you secured any dates etc for next year? I wanna go, it looks awesome!

     

    Cheers for posting the images

     

    Jon

     

    My God this thread just keeps going and going...

     

    Alright I am totally sold, Drew have you secured any dates etc for next year? I wanna go, it looks awesome!

     

    Cheers for posting the images

     

    Jon

     

     

    You welcome ! Since you guys are still reading this thread one more funny bird picture I stumbled upon in my archive:

     

    _DSC2834-Edit-3.jpg

     

     

    I still have few more, however I'm off to Galapagos next week, and hopefully finally can change subject and stop annoying you with Sardine Run pics ! :) Again, I want to say thank you to Drew for such great trip - his knowledge and guidance were the key for us to enjoy experience and snap some ok shots this year. Thanks a lot and I personally hope Wetpixel will continue tradition of the Ocean Safari, if not next year then year after next !

    Edited by pats0n
  4. You welcome ! Since you guys are still reading this thread one more funny bird picture I stumbled upon in my archive:

     

    _DSC2834-Edit-3.jpg

     

     

    I still have few more, however I'm off to Galapagos next week, and hopefully finally can change subject and stop annoying you with Sardine Run pics ! :) Again, I want to say thank you to Drew for such great trip - his knowledge and guidance were the key for us to enjoy experience and snap some ok shots this year. Thanks a lot and I personally hope Wetpixel will continue tradition of the Ocean Safari, if not next year then year after next !

  5. I still have few more, however I'm off to Galapagos next week, and hopefully finally can change subject and stop annoying you with Sardine Run pics ! :) Again, I want to say thank you to Drew for such great trip - his knowledge and guidance were the key for us to enjoy experience and snap some ok shots this year. Thanks a lot and I personally hope Wetpixel will continue tradition of the Ocean Safari, if not next year then year after next !

     

    What housing are you using?

     

    Alex

  6. What housing are you using?

     

    Alex

     

    Alex, I have Sea&Sea MDX 300 equipped with compact dome port with Nikon D300 + Nikkor 12-24mm inside. As it usually happens during last few days before trip I'm trying to solve soft corners issue with this setup using your articles among other sources. I'm purchasing +4 diopter, hoping it will improve corners on open apertures a bit, but worrying since I never used one and my time in Galapagos going to be very limited. I was thinking about Tokina 10-17 but decided that I prefer straight undistorted perespective for my shooting style, and that Nikkor 12-24 is good lense which probably can be fixed somehow with usage of add-ons or proper port.

     

    I will appreciate your advice a lot on this.

     

    Cheers, Alex

  7. I love the way your images look. They are very unique and almost have a painted feel to them. Keep posting please. I will never be bored of this post.

  8. And I'd like to re-iterate that you have to write into the email address in the trip announcement if you are interested in the trip, even if you had written in before.

     

    Can't wait to see the pictures from 2009!

  9. Truly awesome stuff everyone!

  10. Because da Wu made a comment... here's one for the road:

     

    post-1861-1227579991.jpg

    Canon 1D2N Sigma 12-24 at 12 f4.5 1/160 ISO400

    Edited by Drew
  11. Nice! Where's the Brydes Whale?

  12. I've received more than a few emails regarding this trip so I'll respond here.

    The trips run by Wetpixel are designed for maximum opportunity to photograph the phenomena (how you shoot is another matter :drink:). We minimize the group to 4 or 5 for that effect. It stands to reason that the fewer divers, the better the photo ops. We'll let the results speak for themselves here. Read this thread and you'll get an idea of what the trip is about. Our operation is not representative of the general ops available besides going to and coming back from sea (and even that is sometimes different).

    Sorry to dig up this thread that will not die but after so many emails of the same questions, it's easier this way. Since I dragged this thread up, I'll throw in a pic or 2.:D

     

    post-1861-1237792014.jpg

    Canon 1DIIN Sigma 12-24 1/200 f13

    Dolphins just coming out of the baitball. Note the gannets in the background.

     

    post-1861-1237792116.jpg

    Canon 1DIIN Sigma 12-24 1/125 f4.5

    A lone C. Limbatus hunting in the baitball.

    Edited by Drew
  13. Some incredible pictures there...

  14. I've received more than a few emails regarding this trip so I'll respond here.

    The trips run by Wetpixel are designed for maximum opportunity to photograph the phenomena (how you shoot is another matter :)). We minimize the group to 4 or 5 for that effect. It stands to reason that the fewer divers, the better the photo ops. We'll let the results speak for themselves here. Read this thread and you'll get an idea of what the trip is about. Our way of operation is not representative of the general ops available besides going to and coming back from sea (and even that is sometimes different).

    Sorry to dig up this thread that will not die but after so many emails of the same questions, it's easier this way. Since I dragged this thread up, I'll throw in a pic or 2.:)

     

    post-1861-1237792014.jpg

    Canon 1DIIN Sigma 12-24 1/200 f13

    Dolphins just coming out of the baitball. Note the gannets in the background.

     

    post-1861-1237792116.jpg

    Canon 1DIIN Sigma 12-24 1/125 f4.5

    A lone C. Limbatus hunting in the baitball.

    I have one complaint Craig; you don't post enough of your images.

    Edited by Drew
  15. Yes Craig should shoot more pics and fewer spears. :) :)

    Edited by Drew
  16. :) Alzheimers setting in, I meant you Drew!!!
    Edited by loftus
  17. Oh I see... I thought it was your witty Gauteng left field dig at Craig Clasen... how disappointing! Even scarier is how I jumped in on it. :)

  18. Oh I see... I thought it was your witty Gauteng left field dig at Craig Clasen... how disappointing! Even scarier is how I jumped in on it. :)

     

    When I first saw it, I thought it was a beautiful example of crossthreading ... :)

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.