Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

Ocean Safari 2008 gallery

Started by Drew ·

  • 48Posts
  • 48Replies

Read-only discussion

Ocean Safari 2008 gallery

48 posts
  1. Since quite a few of you were bitching about finding the pics in the trip report, I thought I'd start a gallery where most of the pics from the boat team can be seen. Trip report is here: http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24944

    I'll start off with my underwater crap. Please note I hadn't shot WA action with a DSLR since 2004. before last year, and I usually don't like to show pics online. But since this is my most favorite event of the year, I made an exception for this time:

     

    post-1861-1237792014.jpg

    Canon 1DIIN Sigma 12-24 1/200 f13 ISO400

    Dolphins just coming out of the baitball. Note the gannets in the background.

     

    post-1861-1237792116.jpg

    Canon 1DIIN Sigma 12-24 1/125 f4.5 ISO400

    A lone C. Limbatus hunting in the baitball.

     

    post-1861-1227579991.jpg

    Canon 1D2N Sigma 12-24 f4.5 1/160 ISO400

    The mad rush to eat!

     

    post-1861-1237998636.jpg

    Canon 1D2N Sigma 12-24 f4.5 1/160 ISO400

    If you look closely, you'll see the 4th dolphin from the top has 2 fish in its mouth. Yes you ask why I didn't have the 16-35 at 35 with strobes?!? Because I'm stupid!

     

    post-1861-1237998649.jpg

    Canon 1D2N Sigma 12-24 f5.6 1/160 ISO400

    Scatter! yes another dolphin eating yet another herring.

     

    _D2N1855.jpg

    Canon 1D2 Sigma 12-24 f11 1/250 ISO400

    A more arty farty moment.

     

    post-1861-1237998622.jpg

    Diving birds actually cause the visibility to drop as the bubbles from their dive dissipates in the clean water. When over 100 birds dive at the same time, the cloud just blurs out any good shots.

     

    post-1861-1237999339.jpg

    The Common dolphins tend to hit the outside of the baitball to keep the ball intact. But with herring, which pack looser, they hit the prey in group attacks closer to the center of the baitball.

     

    post-1861-1237999427.jpg

    Different predator species get involved. In the left of this pic you can just barely see a blurry outline that is a cape fur seal mixing in with the common dolphins. And no there was no clean shot since it swam the other way and took off.

     

    post-1861-1237999822.jpg

    Another mix of predators with C. Limbatus and Brachyurus in feeding mode while the gannets find their prey have gone a little too deep after their dive. While they can head down to 30m even, they need to gain height and have a clear line of sight. That day it was cloudy and the sea was choppy, so the gannets couldn't judge too well. They missed a lot as the baitball stayed between 8-12m.

     

    _D2N2962.jpg

    More than 60 gannets dive down to hunt.

     

    Most shots were ambient light with no filters. Color was done in post in batch via PS action so I think there are a few misfires but I'm too lazy to do them one at a time.

    Edited by Drew
  2. Very nice, Drew. I really like the atmosphere in the last one.

     

    Alex

  3. Its hard to have a favourite out of them Drew, they are all very good. You guys certainly had some action last year. I am saving my pennies up for 2012. The legend Sir David A's new series that is on BBC at the moment had some amazing footage from just along the coast from Waterfall Bluff. I would say it is on every divers " things to do before I die " list and seeing photos like yours makes me want to witness the action even more. Thanks for sharing.

     

    Stew

  4. Sorry Alex. I was editing because the pics didn't show. Now they are all there. I don't think the real last one is worth anything but informational purposes only.

    The other peeps should be posting their pics soon.

    Edited by Drew
  5. I'll start off with my underwater crap.

     

    I find it very far from crap! Some great dolphin pictures, and the birds add some action to the pictures. Where did you shoot those?

     

    /Bent

  6. I always enjoy your photos from this event.

  7. The photos are amazing but it must have been surreal watching all this happening in front of you

  8. Pics from Alex Safanov:

    _DSC2834-Edit-3.jpg

     

    _DSC3109-Edit-2.jpg

     

    _DSC2431.jpg

     

    _DSC3083-Edit.jpg

     

    _DSC3089-Edit-2.jpg

     

    2842676448_7ebbdddb11_o.jpg

     

    2840504474_300d58e003_o.jpg

     

    _DSC2970-Edit-2_700.jpg

     

    _DSC3011-Edit-3_700.jpg

    Edited by Drew
  9. Pics from Colin Robson:

     

    post-2039-1216200634.jpg

     

    post-2039-1216200683.jpg

     

    post-2039-1216200711.jpg

     

    post-2039-1216200752.jpg

     

    post-2039-1216200881.jpg

     

    post-2039-1216200929.jpg

     

    post-2039-1216200955.jpg

    Edited by Drew
  10. Thanks Craig, I mean Drew :) ; I'll quit bugging you at least for now.

    What a great collection of images, the action is non-stop, almost out of breath just going through them.

    My favorite of yours is #9, third from the end.

    Edited by loftus
  11. More from Colin:

     

    2686278144_b0f12acf48.jpg

    Yes that shark was that BIG... photo is to scale :) Yes that's Drew!

     

    2686278166_d1e6848b1c.jpg

    Bryde's whale back. Back was all everyone else saw.

     

    2682591779_cfd492f5d4.jpg

    Edited by Drew
  12. Here is one from Andrej Belic of Alex Safonov:

     

    post-1861-1238011069.jpg

    Guess who didn't see the bryde's whale make a pass? :)

    Btw, that is a D3 with a FE and Seaflash 250s. That's how big this whale was.

    Edited by Drew
  13. Here is one from Andrej Belic of Alex Safanov:

    Guess who didn't see the bryde's whale make a pass? :)

     

    I think I can guess name of that person - SafOnov (Alex) :)

     

    Thank you for compiling such great gallery. I love your pictures Drew, very sharp and action is caught perfectly. I will add few more of my favorites:

     

    _DSC3043-Edit.jpg

    _DSC3039-Edit.jpg

    _DSC3015-Edit-3-Edit.jpg

    _DSC3023-Edit.jpg

    _DSC2860-Edit.jpg

     

     

    Thank you again for organizing this trip last year - it was fantastic experience. I hope to make it to SA this season again - even if conditions are not as good as last year there is still a lot of things to enjoy.

     

    Cheers, Alex

  14. Wow!

  15. Sorry Alex, how else was I going to force you to post pics?

  16. The only response I can come up with is HOLY %*(#*)%#$@#$@!~!!!!!!

     

     

    :)

  17. Does anyone have any video of this stuff posted anywhere?

    This place is also on my list of things to do before I croak.

     

    Cheers

     

    Richard :)

  18. absolutely awesome- are you gonna put hard print copies up for sale?

  19. _DSC2860-Edit.jpg

     

    What a fantastic display of images :)

     

    This one made my chin hit the floor :)

    Beautiful capture.

     

    Thankyou for sharing.

     

    Nige Wade

  20. Wow!

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.