Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon G9 & G7 housing - DIY 67mm lens adapter

Started by BrianM ·

  • 69Posts
  • 69Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon G9 & G7 housing - DIY 67mm lens adapter

69 posts
  1. Thanks for the info. I picked up a used DC21 and this is great because I have 67mm lens from Tetra housings. I completed the project in one try pretty much on the kitchen table. Just wanted to add that instead of the template I just took all 6 screws out and removed the plastic face plate from the housing. Placed the stepping ring (after sawing) on the table and put face plate on top and marked holes on ring. All a bit tedious but a great DIY modification that's easy on the wallet for a change.

     

    I'm glad it worked for you. I was reluctant to remove all 6 screws as I didn't want to break the seal on the port, but testing that it's still waterproof without the camera in it can easily get around this concern.

     

    If anyone is going to use this modification with just the internal flash (like me), then by moving the diffuser to the end of the close-up lenses, the shadow of the lenses are almost, if not completely reduced. I did mine by using a piece of elastic (from a flight luggage label) and drilling another hole in the diffuser. The next two images show what I mean. Plus here is a shot of the technique being used.

     

    3561869577_3e0d56eb03.jpg

     

    3562685736_53d79c504e.jpg

  2. OK, So now I've done the mod, easy! i have my epoque 2X Macro lens, so now i would like some tips on managing such a minute depth of field that i have with this set up. Any tips and settings appreciated. :(

  3. Practice on the surface first. Flowers and bugs make good subjects. I prefer to use autofocus and press the shutter halfway to lock the focus, then rock back and forth slightly to get the DOF where you want it on the subject, usually the eyes. The DOF increases slightly the smaller the aperture, so with the G9 you want to set it to f8.

  4. Practice on the surface first. Flowers and bugs make good subjects. I prefer to use autofocus and press the shutter halfway to lock the focus, then rock back and forth slightly to get the DOF where you want it on the subject, usually the eyes. The DOF increases slightly the smaller the aperture, so with the G9 you want to set it to f8.

     

    Thanks Brian, its going to be am interesting learning curve. :P

  5. Hello Brian,

     

    my name is René and I´m from Germany. So please excuse my bad english. I tried to sent you a PM, but it failed. So I try it here.

     

    I saw your pictures on flickr.com and used the link from there to here.

    Your pictures are brilliant. And for me it is extremely astonishing as I use the same basic equipment but with an external strobe and without the macro lenses.

     

    Because I´m not so familiar with handwork I ordered an adapter from a shop. So now I´m waiting for it. I suspect that it won´t be so accurate than yours, but I will give it a try.

     

    The reason I want to contact you ist, that I want to know how your pictures become so extraordinary sharp also in the details. Is it because of the macrolenses or because of your setting? I read above that you also use the autofocus. Is that correct? So what´s the secret?

     

    Because of the external strobe I have no problem with the exposure. But many of my pictures are blurred. I know in many cases it is the failure of me as the user. But sometimes I don´t know what I did wrong when I was almost not moving and took time for the focus. And later when I watch the photo it is ok on the first glance but not very sharp in the detail. The distance between me an the object is in average about half a metre, sometimes less sometimes more. Is it to much?

     

    Because my post is not really adequate to this topic I will stop here. I hope you can give me some advises. We can continue this conversation on email if you want. My adress is rene(dot)loeffler(at)gmx(dot)de

     

    And again: Highest respect for you photos without using a professional gear. I cannot stop watching them.

    Greetings

    René

  6. René, do you have any pictures to show us?

     

    As I can see, you are too far of the subject for macro shots. Try to be as close as you can of the subject, and set a narrow aperture, like F8.

    Edited by lrossel
  7. :dancing: Just a note to say Thanks as I was just about to invest in an Ikelite Housing for my G9, the step up ring was the better option at £3.00!. Excellent description shame Canon doesn't come up with something similar for the housing. I look forward to trying out the Inon close up lens on my next dive. Alan
  8. After watching the wonderful photos done by Brian, I decided to invest in the same solution.

    Only difference is I bought an adapter: 'Mangrove AR-CN-M67' to avoid a risky manipulation.

     

    Here some results:

     

    Philippines

     

    Cheers,

    Renaud

  9. Hi sorry. Does anyone know is there any underwater flash suitable to be used for Canon G9, with its OEM casing WP-DC21? Any third party flash that is compatible for use with the casing is welcome too :)

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.