Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Wahoo!

Started by james ·

  • 49Posts
  • 49Replies

Read-only discussion

Wahoo!

49 posts
  1. Yum! Caught 85 miles offshore in the Gulf.

     

    Cheers

    James

  2. My buddy caught an 81 lb yellowfin at Boomvang - 130 miles offshore. We were fishing at night at a deepwater spar platform.

     

    Here's me hoisting the fish.

     

    Double-yum!

     

    PS, the 12-24 is great for shots taken from a small boat.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Hope you got the shits :D

  4. Agree with Bob. I'm not too sure how many people you will impress here with pictures of dead fish. Certainly not me.

     

    If that was a picture of a cheetah or a gazelle, you would be publicly ostracized. I think the same consideration should be offered to marine wild life.

  5. Damn, James! That's quite some distance you gotta drive in order to catch some Wahoo and Tuna. Next time you're better off driving down here to the Keys and getting some at Hobo's -- already cooked and served with french fries! While you're at it, you can do some diving while I use your new lens .

     

    Bob/Jeff, although I too feel a certain kinship for these creatures and would have, personally, prefered to have taken a photograph of them (especially the tuna). In defense of James, he did start his message with "Yum," which leaves me to believe he's going to eat it. At least he wasn't trawling a huge net killing tons of by-catch in the process. I do expect James to do 10 reef cleanups in order to make up for leaving any fishing line behind though. :D

  6. Or maybe it points to a split personality :D:D:D:lol:

  7. This is the same forum that discussed the ethics of diver contact with the reef to no end, now we've got dead fish on display! I stayed the reef discussion because I knew I'd be bashed for stating that scientifically, diver contact is negligible to the overall health of the reef ecosystem, we've all seen turtles laying all over corals while chomping on sponges, and when there were 1000X as many turtles the reef was healthier than it is today (not suggesting that this is OK for divers, but you see my point).

     

    I don't think it is arguable, however, that these pelagics are in massive decline. I'm aware that many divers enjoy sport fishing, but James how could you not expect to get flamed to no end over this?

     

    I wish that PADI and the other organizations would take a more agressive stance in educating new divers about their potential impact on the ocean environment. Spearfishing, specifically, should not be listed as an appropriate use of their new skills. We've probably all read the recent data that over 90% of the great pelagic predators are gone, and if we can't convince our diving buddies to abstain, how could we ever convince the landlocked to give up their tuna?

  8. Here's me hoisting the fish.  

    ... and this is something you're proud of? :lol:

  9. Hell, I had sex but didn't post the pictures :lol:

  10. I was leaning towards a lobster dinner!!!!

  11. Or maybe it points to a split personality :D  :D  :D  :lol:

    Maybe these fish were just Pro Olympus?!?! :D:D:D:D

     

    Just pulling your fin there, James!

  12. Looks like things are heating up @ the ol' Wetpixel forum! :D

     

    Nice to see some debate for a change.

     

    James, I bet you feel a little broadsided right now??? :D

     

    New topic: How many of us have purchased/eaten these fish?? :lol:

  13. I eat anything that can be remotely classified as meat......

     

    .........further I respect anyone or their beliefs, but not when you force them on me.

     

    Wish I was fishing with ya James! that looks like it took some work to land!

  14. I too eat anything remotely classifed as meat, as long as it has been domestically raised. I am through eating wild animals.

     

    Farm raised salmon, oysters, catfish, crawfish, and shrimp are still on the menu. Tuna, swordfish, wahoo, and dorado are off the menu. This is my small part to play in stopping the overfishing of our oceans. I can't and won't "force" anybody to do anything, but I will point out at every opportunity that gill nets and long lines are destroying our oceans at an alarming rate. James' fishing trip is not the culprit. I personally find the practice offensive, but then I feel the same way about deer hunting. But, the headline "Yum" over a wild animal further drives the demand for wild animal meat, most of which is delivered, not by individual fishermen, but by commercial operators who have no concern about bycatch deaths.

  15. Gees people, get a life.

     

    These are the same folks that won't eat red meat, but some Chilean Bass is just fine. Guess where that comes from??

     

    Yellowfin are not in "massive decline", I believe that some species of tuna (bluefin?) are, but what do you think 'ol Charlie the Tuna is made from?

     

    Single line fishing within legal limits and eating your catch is ok by me. Probably not the most politically correct post here, but it woke 'em up... :lol:

     

    Cheers,

    Jack

  16. Gotta say, James has gone remarkably quiet since this posting, both in public and in private messages. Perhaps he's gone fishin' :freak:

  17. Maybe there was mercury in that f'fish! :D:D:D:lol:

     

     

    Just in...

     

    CNN update: 'Wiseman' elopes with yellowfin tuna - Mass debate on unlawful specie interaction - film at 11!

     

    Whilst the BBC went with a different angle: 'Wiseman' missing? No, due to the high content of mercury found in pelagic yellowfin James only remains upright above 83 degrees...

     

     

     

    :D

  18. you crack me up :D:lol::D

  19. Nice yellowfin. I caught a few when I worked on the island of Guam. We would start catching them

    a mile off shore. The mahi mahi runs were excellent over there with some big wahoo pulled in too.

    Wish I had some photos to share. Ate lot of fresh sashimi.

  20. I eat anything that can be remotely classified as meat......

    That's good to know Bob, next time you're in my kneck of the woods drop in and we'll barbeque a dog :D:D:lol:

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.