Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Wahoo!

Started by james ·

  • 49Posts
  • 49Replies

Read-only discussion

Wahoo!

49 posts
  1. I eat anything that can be remotely classified as meat......

    That's good to know Bob, next time you're in my kneck of the woods drop in and we'll barbeque a dog :D:D:lol:

    The traditional way is to use a wok. :D

  2. Outstanding Herb!! :lol::D:D

  3. Hi Gang,

     

    I'm just back from a 3-day dive trip w/ NOAA. It was great!

     

    For your information, I brought along the wahoo and tuna and we had ceviche and tuna steaks instead of the usual boat-fare. We were all truly happy for such a wonderful and tasty gift from mother nature.

     

    I enjoy fishing and only keep fish that are sustainable (see the MBARI website for a list) and good to eat. If you're a strcit vegetarian, then feel free to flame me for killing a fish. I can take it. Otherwise, you the other comments are sort of silly and sound sorta hypocritical, in my opinion.

     

    And FWIW, aquacultured salmon is one of the most damaging fisheries in the world, so you can strike that one from the "good" list...:-) Same goes for aquacultured shrimp as well.

     

    I'm glad this is such an interesting topic for y'all and feel free to post any questions you have. My girlfriend works for NOAA so I am pretty well versed in the "do's and don'ts of eating seafood."

     

    No animals were harmed during the typing of this post.

     

    Cheers

    James

  4. So I shouldn't post my spearfishing pictures here? James I wish I had been with you!

  5. Spearfishing will be a sport when they arm the fish with spear guns.

     

    I fail to see how anyone can get pleasure out of killing animals.

  6. Well, if my post was "sorta hypocritical" yours is "sorta self-serving". Care to point me in the direction of some proof of the damage of aquaculture? I bet I can find equal amounts of evidence in support of the practice.

     

    And, I took a look at the MBARI site. I couldn't find the list of sustainable fish you mentioned.

     

    As I believe I mentioned on at least one occasion in this thread, sport fishing is not the problem, in my opinion. It just happened to bring up the issue of over-fishing. I also think several here share my opinion that I would prefer to see pictures of live fish instead of dead ones. My favorite comment was Bob's point that he had sex, but didn't post the pictures.

  7. Hi Jeff,

     

    I don't need to find the evidence for you about the horrendous damage caused by salmon aquaculture - it's but a few keystrokes away. We're talking tons and tons of anoxic goo lining the basins of North Atlantic fjords and aquacultured fish with whirling disease corrupting wild stocks.

     

    How about a 30 second whirl through google:

     

    Try this:

     

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=...+impact&spell=1

     

    or

     

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=...negative+impact

     

    And here's the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch:

     

    http://www.mbayaq.org/cr/seafoodwatch.asp

     

    I typed "monterey bay seafood" into google to find that one - took about 30 seconds.

     

    Cheers

    James

  8. And here's the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch:

     

    http://www.mbayaq.org/cr/seafoodwatch.asp

     

    I typed "monterey bay seafood" into google to find that one - took about 30 seconds.

     

    Cheers

    James

    Okay, but you specifically mentioned MBARI. The research institute site has nothing on that subject.

     

    I also noticed about half of their "green" list was farm raised.

  9. James, the Monterey Bay site and their Seafood information is very interesting and very enlightening. Thanks for the link.

  10. Jeff,

     

    You're welcome. I think the list is worth it for everyone to check out. You may be surprised by some of the seafood listed there. The marketing of "green" seafood is not always true.

     

    Cheers

    James

  11. Not eating any seafood removes all of the mentioned polution problems and maintains a natural ecosystem.

     

    I don't eat fish for many reasons, one of which would be the hypocracy... My choice, but thankfully it is spreading through the global diving community; one by one. I called it the Piscetarian movement - diving with a clearer concience. :lol:

  12. Don

     

    I'll tell you what, shoot a 50+ pound cobia and tell me they are not armed! It's not Deer hunting, the big ones don't just die. Most 50 pound fish are much more powerfull underwater than you an I.

     

    It could be worse, I could be a sport fisherman. I don't kill hundreds off fish by pulling them up from depth at a rate of 20 feet per second just to throw them back. I kill very few and eat all of them... It's the other white meet!

  13. More interesting info on aquaculture......

     

    http://www.farmedanddangerous.org/

     

    It all seems so short sighted to me and as the song goes..."You don't know what you've got til its gone"....

  14. This debate wouldn't have even happened if it weren't for the fact that wahoo tastes so darn good!!

     

    James, I thought that NOAA won't allow fish for food at any of their functions???

  15. Hi Reefkeep,

     

    My comment about wasn't an attack on you. I enjoy these discussions, and I think they help make us more aware.

     

    I simply don't understand any kind of hunting. And, spearfishing is hunting. And, it is "sport" hunting, at least in "my" book. I simply think it is an unfair sport, to the fish. The "opponents" are not equally matched.

     

    Golf, that's sport

    Football, that's sport

    even boxing, that's sport

    man vs fish. Hardly seems fair.

     

    To quote you, "I'll tell you what, shoot a 50+ pound cobia and tell me they are not armed! " It is indeed surprising how aggressive animals get when they are inflicted with a fatal blow. They are so much more uncivilized than us humans.

  16. Anybody got the link to endangered fishes? Some web site lists the where's and what's.

     

    I hate fishing. I don't eat most fish. But sport fishing and spearfishing are not the cause of such depletions.

     

    The crew of the Big Blue Explorer were line fishing off the boat. They caught a yellow fin. Not a big deal in my book. We ate fish every night. What's the big deal?

     

    Sure, I haven't had swordfish in years. If they ever recover, I'll start eating again.

     

    Before anyone gets all upset with fishing, they better not be eating marine life. Bob and Jeff have stated their case, although I could debate Jeff's position if I really cared to.

     

    I have customers come in all the time wanting to make sure we have no animal derived ingredients and we don't animal test our products. They usually drive up in their leather upholstered vehicle, leather shoes and purse, dine on animals, etc. All products are tested on animals. You get to decide which species.

  17. No more fishsticks por you! (Damn that Mrs. Paul and Gorten!)

  18. All products are tested on animals.  You get to decide which species.

    This is way off subject, and I apologize ahead of time for that.

     

    About 6 months ago I read an article in Readers Digest about an American scientist that cut the heads off of 2 monkeys. He re-attached the head of one monkey onto the body of the other. Imagine his surprise when the reattached head of the monkey tried to bite him. Those monkeys are so uncivilized !

     

    The article went on to tell of this person's(?) retirement. Living the good life. You can imagine the pride I felt for this individual, and how proud I was to be part of his species.

     

    As far as which species to use for testing, guess which one I choose.

     

    Ok, rant over.

  19. www.redlist.org or .something

  20. I simply think it is an unfair sport, to the fish. The "opponents" are not equally matched.

     

    The same could be said about most of the local football games.. Unfair to the Jaguars that is...

    Don you might be right, but have you ever had fresh grilled Cobia ? I'm mean really fresh..

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.