Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Wahoo!

Started by james ·

  • 49Posts
  • 49Replies

Read-only discussion

Wahoo!

49 posts
  1. Hi Reefkeep,

     

    I have never had Cobia. I'll bet it tastes great, but not nearly as good as the Gray Angelfish sandwiches that I had for lunch. They were kind of small, so I had two. Delisch :lol:

     

    Actually, no, I have never had Cobia. I know nothing about the fish.

     

    This fish put up one heck of a fight. I wish I'd caught this baby ! I found this while researching Cobia.http://www.fishbustercharters.com/_borders...rs/Image187.gif

     

    I'm extra hungry today. I think I'll fry up some nurseshark for breakfast . Soup for lunch. http://www.fishbustercharters.com/shark.htm

  2. LOL,

     

    Cobia

  3. Wow, this discussion is going waaaayyy off topic.

     

    I hope this was a joke.

     

    Quote: (the quote function is not working for me)

     

    "About 6 months ago I read an article in Readers Digest about an American scientist that cut the heads off of 2 monkeys. He re-attached the head of one monkey onto the body of the other. Imagine his surprise when the reattached head of the monkey tried to bite him. Those monkeys are so uncivilized !"

     

    As a veterinarian, I can assure you that no one is cutting off the heads of monkeys and reattaching them anywhere (although I have seen a few people that make me believe otherwise)

     

    I have tried this with dogs and cats and it just doesn't work.

     

     

     

    Dr. John, Mad Scientist. (Boo Ha Ha Ha)

  4. Hi Dr. John,

     

    Surprisingly, the story was no joke. I'll find the exact article and post it for you or somehow get it to you. I know it seems unbelievable.

     

    The title on the front cover of Reader's Digest (large print edition) was something like "LIve Forever". The concept was, cut the old head off of the old body, and reattach the old head to a new body.

     

    Dr. Mengele would have been proud.

     

    PS. I am 650 years old. :angryfire:

     

    Here is the the info I promised:

     

    Title: The disturbing world of Dr. White.

     

    Subject(s): WHITE, Robert; TRANSPLANTATION of organs, tissues, etc.; OHIO; CLEVELAND (Ohio)

     

    Source: Reader's Digest, Nov2002, Vol. 161 Issue 967, p108, 4p, 1c

     

    Author(s): Trump, Eric

     

    Abstract: Reports on the successful transplantation of the head of a rhesus monkey onto another monkey's body by neurosurgeon Robert White on March 14, 1970 at the Brain Research Laboratory of Cleveland, Ohio's Metropolitan General Hospital. White's conviction that a human head can be transplanted; Opposition faced by White due to his research; Importance of the brain.

     

    AN: 8753971

     

    ISSN: 0034-0375

  5. As a veterinarian...

    Going off topic somewhat...

     

    Hello Dr John, mad scientist

     

    Dr Craig, similarly mad scientist (of the veterinary persuasion) at your service

     

    [bVSc PhD MACVSc] - Veterinary gastroenterologist and clinical research scientist at Texas A&M University.

    Charter member of the world wide association of veterinarian's who take photos under water... looks like membership has grown somewhat :lol:

     

    White's work is often cited by animal rights activists as an example of all that is wrong with research. In this particular case I would have to agree with them, a little. Similar studies would be pretty much impossible to carry out today in any sort of institutional environment (heck, I have a collection of informed owner consent forms, each 4-5 pages long, just to take fecal samples from cats :angryfire:). I don't even want to think about writing an AUP for experiments like White was doing in the 70's.

  6. Personally I don't enjoy fishing or hunting, etc. But I do enjoy eating meat and fish and think it is important for a healthy diet. One question to those that don't eat fish. Studies have shown fish oil to reduce heart disease and that is the main reason I eat it. Consumers Reports July 2003 has an article on this. If it was bad for me I wouldn't eat it.. For example, I LOVE swordfish but do not eat it anymore for health reasons.

  7. Don from Colorado,

     

    I stand corrected and apologize for my ignorance. I hope I didn't come across as a pompous ass. Truth is stranger than fiction! I hope the good doctor did get bit.

     

    James,

    I apologize for going off topic; but I hope it takes some of the heat off of you.

     

    Dr. Craig,

    Nice to meet you. SAVM member? Would love to hear from you via private message.

     

    I'm done here. Going back to play with my pictures of fishes.

     

    But first...I was inspired by Don's story to go back into the lab one more time... It does work with dogs and cats!!! (and no, I didn't get bit)

     

    Just John (Mad Scientist)

  8. We were all truly happy for such a wonderful and tasty gift from mother nature.

    Had it been a gift, would it not have been wrapped, or did it land on the deck with the dying phrase "Eat Me, I'm pissed off with this pelagic lifestyle"?

  9. The first successful head transplant, besides my own! Congratulations! And it was ethically done, so bonus points for you. I am finally getting used to my own new body. I am quite a hottie!

     

    If you have a fast internet connection, you may find the following mpg movie interesting. It is a very educational video about man vs beast, fishing in Alaska. (Since I don't have speakers connected on this computer, I am not sure of the actual message.)

     

    http://www.ihosseini.com/images/mpeg/Fun-B...0For%20Fish.mpg

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.