Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Dream Job Advertised - for anyone here?

Started by deepsea ·

  • 56Posts
  • 56Replies

Read-only discussion

Dream Job Advertised - for anyone here?

56 posts
  1. I think it's a big publicity stunt to attract tourists.

     

    Sure is, but I don't think they are hiding that fact.

  2. Sounds great to me, I would go in a heartbeat.

  3. Members of the common wealth whilst under the age of 27 can easily apply for a 1 year working visa and a 1 year travel visa to run concurrently in any other commonwealth country. Hence you will find so many Brits living and working from Sydney to Cairns and thousands of Aussies flipping burgers in Leicester Square. Apparently Burger King is a novelty to an Aussie who is stuck with Hungry Jacks !! It's one of those things put in place for all the gap year folks either before or after College. Also one thing that Americans can't get in on ! I can't see the rules yet Drew must have taken all their bandwidth up reading them. But model .. knowledge .. experience .. BAM .. I think we know who has got it in the bag !

    Thanks Giles, I'd do it if I needed the money and 6 mths of internet fame. :D

     

    Seriously, Hamilton island is a Unesco WHA. However, most of the damage on the area is coming from run off from the farms and the warming seas. Not a lot of conservation work to be done there, lots of blogging and one has to enjoy being in the public eye. I think you'd fit better :D

  4. i may sign up for a laugh .. its a job .. something i don't have right now !

  5. Well if you need someone to write your script for you... I need a break from working! Giles, poster boy of Queensland Tourism... but wanted for DUI in Vic. Opps that's someone else. :P

    I'll just take my usual 10% if you get past the first voting session with my script :blush:

    Edited by Drew
  6. They upgraded the server yesterday afternoon, but it still can't cope with traffic.

  7. LOL the BBC not checking their facts?!? It's AU$150k... says so in all major newspapers and on the official website:

     

    You're right Drew, it is AU$150. Means either the original article I read here (on news.com.au) was wrong, or they've upped the salary in the last few days.

     

     

     

    Ou come one Aussie!

    I'm sure You are one of the best candidates WetPixel can put out. So if You are looking for a job anyhow, then go nail it so that the rest of us can come crash at "You'r" place :blush:

    Cheers

    Scubamoose

     

    Thanks for the vote of confidance there Scubamoose. A lot of people have been bugging me, so maybe I will give it a go. Anyone here know how to use a video camera (serious, I can't)?

     

    Word on the street here though is that they're after an international person, ie not an Australian. I'm thinking it will be someone that looks good in a bikini too (and that is REALLY not me!).

     

    Has anyone else from wetpixel put anything up yet? I also read that viewers will be able to vote, the most popular also gets to the interview stage.

     

    Cheers,

    Ryan.

  8. I'm quite sure they'll go for a younger person who looks good on camera. That's why they have that outsider clause in case the public chooses a bunch of misfits. It's going to cost them 4 mil... I'm sure they'll want to keep it sane. If they were smart, they'd push for an entire family to stay there... including a teenager so they can cover all the age groups in one go.

  9. Hey one of my shots for the "Best Job in the World" promo made onto the USA Today website. Wonder if made hard copy?

  10. Well done Darren!

  11. If I remember correctly, I worked in oz and the tax rate was like 40% or more. So that $150k disappears pretty quickly. I wonder if there are any deductibles like rent (opps it's free), hardship (alone on the island is pretty tough). I suppose one could deduct camera equipment as it is part of the job description, as is computers.

    Darren, are you getting a cut on the 150k for the pic? LOL

  12. ...Darren, are you getting a cut on the 150k for the pic? LOL..

     

    Not of the $150k salary.... but I am getting a cut of a larger pie though :blush: ... done a few things for it so far, and i'm shooting the candidate interview/selection process for the daily blog and press kits on Hamo in May. Maybe we'll see some of you guys there?

  13. I did some checking and the income tax is 40%. So take home is $90k for 6 mths. I'm quite sure there are stipulations as well. If you don't blog everyday or something silly like that.

  14. Meh, I might as well give it a go...

     

    I'll post a link to it when my cameraman get's back.. :blush:

     

    Just think of the value in those pink dress shots if i get through :P All proceeds from the photos to go towards stopping whaling and sharkfin...

     

    And maybe getting Mike a better camera.

  15. Meh, I might as well give it a go...

     

    I'll post a link to it when my cameraman get's back.. :blush:

     

    Just think of the value in those pink dress shots if i get through :P All proceeds from the photos to go towards stopping whaling and sharkfin...

     

    And maybe getting Mike a better camera.

     

    I vote for Simon... Judging by his antics over the last year i really think he would be a great ambassador for the UK ...

     

    VOTE SIMON, VOTE SIMON

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  16. Mike has a better housing :blush:

  17. Video, yes. Still, no.

     

    :blush:

  18. Actually I wouldn't mind if it were a nicer island than Hamilton. To be a poster person is more like big brother vs real conservation work since it's already a UNESCO WHS. You're really not doing anything except PR for QLD tourism.

     

    The NAD boys, please keep the housing piss off to yourselves. But I will be fair to Simon and say he has the better camera and if he would hurry up and prove it by completing that review.

  19. Actually I wouldn't mind if it were a nicer island than Hamilton. To be a poster person is more like big brother vs real conservation work since it's already a UNESCO WHS. You're really not doing anything except PR for QLD tourism.

     

    But think of all the babes :P Hitting the woolshed in Cairns on January the first would be awesome. :blush:

     

    If someone who isn't a brainless bimbo can get on there and try and highlight other issues it might be a good thing. Just like all that backlash with the BBC Oceans thing, we might not like it but if it gets the less informed interested then it's a good thing.

     

     

     

     

    I probably just ruled myself out with the brainless thing didn't i....

     

     

     

    ps. I've reached apathy with the EX-1 housing, sealux read my emails but dont reply. :( Usually i'm excited about a new toy. I'll try and get motivated tomorrow.

  20. ps. I've reached apathy with the EX-1 housing, sealux read my emails but dont reply. :blush: Usually i'm excited about a new toy. I'll try and get motivated tomorrow.

     

    As a Prospective housing buyer for my EX1 i find it hard to believe Sealux would just ignore a disheartened customer... And to have a housing of that (meant to be) calibre that doesnt even sit upright in water is an amazing achievemnt in lack of basic engineering skills... I think Mr Buxton should get a refund or Sealux should at least replace his housing with one that actually does what it should...

     

    Dive safe

     

    Dean(still looking)B

    Edited by DeanB
Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.