Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Under/over shots - tips

Started by DuncanS ·

  • 34Posts
  • 34Replies

Read-only discussion

Under/over shots - tips

34 posts
  1. Hi

     

    Was out at Ras Mohammed and we moored up for lunch in Marsa Breika (deep bay) for lunch, was bored so hopped in with camera to have a play with under/over shots. Surface was flat but there was a small swell. Subject wise there was the boat and the mooring line and then just the deep below. Ignoring subject selection, I noticed a few problems:

     

    1. Big diference between light levels above and below water - I have seen you can get split ND filters but I guess you have to decide the orientation of the picture before hand. Would you use a strobe to boost the underwater exposure?

     

    2. There is a water mark on the Dome, is there a way to reduce this (obviously a flat still day would help.....)

     

    Ta Duncan

    post-22909-1233149551.jpg

     

    Canon 10-22 @10mm

    ISO100, f14,1/60

  2. 1. Big diference between light levels above and below water - I have seen you can get split ND filters but I guess you have to decide the orientation of the picture before hand. Would you use a strobe to boost the underwater exposure?

     

    I have been thinking about split ND / split dioptre filters and how to move them when inside the housing. Has anyone tried attaching a small weight to the outer rim of the filter so that when you rotate the housing the weight swivels the filter to landscape/portrait?

  3. I do alot of these. The best ones are in the shallowest water where the exposure difference between above and below is the least. Another condition that helps is early or late light, or a cloudy day where the exposure difference is less. In the example I'm laying in 2 to 3 feet of water. The best tip is practice ALOT

    post-21097-1233194357.jpg

  4. shallow water

     

    Maldive06_453_GCI8891-copia.jpg

  5. ... would you use a strobe to boost the underwater exposure...

     

    ... there is a water mark on the Dome, is there a way to reduce this...

     

    Flat calm; big dome; wide, wide lens; shallow; strobes if there is a foreground subject...

     

    post-4522-1233260584.jpg

    Sigma 4.5mm, twin strobes, Scotland.

     

    ... and I still use Photoshop to edit out some of the droplets on the dome! Detergent and anti-fog have been suggested, but aren't that friendly to the environment (and maybe not that friendly to o-rings).

     

    post-4522-1233261668.jpg

    Nikon 10.5mm, ambient light, Sipadan.

     

    Tim

     

    :lol:

  6. The bigger dome the better, the wider the lens the better too. Spitting or sucking the dome works pretty well against watermark. Another typical problem is the lack of enough depth of field for close-underwater-subject/far-top-backgrund so using a higher ISO will allow you to use a smaller aperture.

     

    2883910791_39258c806d_o.jpg

  7. 2) I've got one word for you: Pledge!

  8. Split diopters are cool, but they are only applicable in a pool or a sheltered water. The line has to be lined up right at the waterline - which is not easy - I've used one before. you can get up to 72mm from B&H if you want to give it a try.

     

    Cheers

    James

  9. Ages ago I used to use a subal split filter that was bottom half +3 diopter / top half ND for half and halfs. that was before big domes came along.

  10. ... the bigger dome the better, the wider the lens the better too. Spitting or sucking the dome works pretty well...

     

    Awesome image!

     

    Tim

     

    :lol:

  11. I've got one word for you: Pledge!

     

    See above: I am sure that a hydrocarbon-containing mixture such as "Pledge" is toxic to wildlife and harmful to o-rings...

     

    ... an expensive option, in either case!

     

    Tim

     

    :lol:

    Edited by tdpriest
  12. I've posted this picture of my over/under dome before, but for those that missed it...

     

    Holy Moly that's a big dome. Looks like a port hole in a minisub.

  13. I think that Backscatter was looking at making a split neutral grad that used a focus gear to adjust.

     

    I usually try to find something close underwater to light with a strobe, in this case, both above and below.

     

     

    452817823_Ce5Uu-M.jpg

     

    Take care,

    John

    Edited by jarhed
  14. ... I usually try to find something close underwater to light with a strobe, in this case, both above and below...

     

    ?Palau?

     

    post-4522-1233490228.jpg

     

    One that I missed (dome out of the water)!

     

    Tim

     

    :(

  15. My first attempt at over under, no flash used.. 4-6 foot seas, clam waters would have been better

    post-8758-1233501019.jpg

  16. Wow! OK - I see a sperm whale, and some other stuff??? What is that thing sticking out in the background??

     

    Cool shot.

     

    James

  17. Yeah, is that a snorkel? Did you snorkel with a Sperm Whale? Being in the water with Moby Dick is pretty daring...

  18. Thanks James.

    yes, swam with them. background is a snorkel and I believe tat you can make out some of Dominica or it may be somed of the waves.

  19. And this is the companion shot, both with tokina 10-17 ( at 10mm), D300, Aquatica 9.25".

    f 6.6 @ 1/400th second iso 320.

    timing was a bit off, due to heavy seas.

    post-8758-1233518480.jpg

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.