Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

SubSee Adapters?

Started by Cal ·

  • 92Posts
  • 92Replies

Read-only discussion

SubSee Adapters?

92 posts
  1. Anyone have seen Dan Schwartz lately?

     

     

    LOL, I luv ya man, you crack me up! :D:lol::lol:

  2. Whew! I just spent a half hour reading the last half of this thread, and it reminds me of a homeowners association meeting! (Apologies for the reference for those who've never had the "pleasure" of attending one.)

     

    I look forward to an official Alex Mustard comparison. Like most of Keri's posts I've read in the past (and here), it should prove very informative.

     

    Then again, some of Keri's results make it hard to argue that the SubSee isn't a great tool for certain circumstances. The proof is in the pudding and all that. I'm REALLY anxious to try my new SubSee out on my trip to Rangiroa in a few weeks...I'll post results afterwards.......I have no doubt that the mathematical shrapnel in this thread will still be flying when I get back. :D

  3. I have no problem with the tenor of this thread. I appreciate craig comments and the interplay between Craig and Kerri.

    I now know that:

    1-Kerri is coming out with a new design

    2-Craig feels that shooting a 150 a weaker diopter is advisable and I know his process which is different from mine.

    And I'm sure I'll learn a lots more. Thanks to everybody.

     

    FYI, Jeff Mullens shoots a subsee on an e-330/ 50mm

  4. I'm REALLY anxious to try my new SubSee out on my trip to Rangiroa in a few weeks...I'll post results afterwards.......I have no doubt that the mathematical shrapnel in this thread will still be flying when I get back. :D

     

    I would advice wideangle in Rangiroa. Tiputa is big stuff with a lot of current (= impossible to stop for macro) and Avaturu is wonderfull big and close silvertip sharks....

     

    but, of course, if you can dive a lot and have all your time to try more divesite, just do : )

  5. Down the Side of the motu in Rangi is ok for macro, but i really wouldnt bother as autopsea says. You might be just too late to see the Grey Reefs mating, but fingers crossed you see it in the pass, it's awesome.

     

    If you head out to Fakarava, there is a nice nudibranch site next the the channel marker closest to the dock near the main village. I used to dive it every fortnight and found some quite cool stuff.

     

     

    I've seen the SubSee in action with Kris and Keri and whilst wasnt convinced to start with it won me over when i started to see the images.

  6. I appreciate the comments on Rangiroa, guys, and I do plan to shoot super wide angle (14mm, 15FE and/or 16-35mm II) almost all the time I'm there. However, depending on how close the sharks seem to be, I may use my Sigma 50 or 70 macro (1:1) lenses on a few dives.

     

    Both of those lenses are (IMHO) nice fish portrait lenses on full frame cameras, and if a drift dive ends up someplace with less current at the end of a dive, or if I'm just tinkering around the resort beach/reef, I might be able to use one of those lenses for small stuff...and flip down the SubSee. I know from experience that you can't have the BEST of both (wide angle and macro) worlds on one dive with any one lens. But occasionally, I don't mind settling for somewhere in the middle. :D

  7. You want to use a SubSee with a 50mm or 70mm macro on full frame?

  8. You want to use a SubSee with a 50mm or 70mm macro on full frame?

     

    I wondered if anyone would raise an eyebrow at that! :lol:

     

    I'm not sure if it will work or not; I'll need to do some experimenting! If it works at all, I'm sure the image would be "cropped" (perhaps severely on the 50mm) by the SubSee, but I'll be using a 5DII with 22mp, so even if only the center 50% of the image is usable, I could conceivably get a decent shot of a small subject. As I said, it will be far from ideal macro OR wide angle, but I might play with it nonetheless! We'll see... :D

  9. Ouch! (to the Dan Shwartz comment)

     

    I may use my Sigma 50 or 70 macro (1:1) lenses on a few dives....on full frame cameras...

     

    I'm not sure if it will work or not; I'll need to do some experimenting! If it works at all, I'm sure the image would be "cropped" (perhaps severely on the 50mm) by the SubSee, but I'll be using a 5DII with 22mp, so even if only the center 50% of the image is usable, I could conceivably get a decent shot of a small subject. As I said, it will be far from ideal macro OR wide angle, but I might play with it nonetheless! We'll see... :D

     

    50mm or 70mm lens on a FF sensor with the +10 SubSee? *waving a red flag* Don't get your hopes up, because you'll probably be disappointed. Not only will it vignette (with the 'old' version you have), but your closest focus distance will likely be inside the SubSee unit. The 70mm would certainly be a better choice between the two (in terms of macro shooting).

     

    The new SubSees will work much better for these types of lenses, because of their larger diameter, and optional lower strength.

  10. Ouch! (to the Dan Shwartz comment)

     

     

     

    50mm or 70mm lens on a FF sensor with the +10 SubSee? *waving a red flag* Don't get your hopes up, because you'll probably be disappointed. Not only will it vignette (with the 'old' version you have), but your closest focus distance will likely be inside the SubSee unit. The 70mm would certainly be a better choice between the two (in terms of macro shooting).

     

    The new SubSees will work much better for these types of lenses, because of their larger diameter, and optional lower strength.

     

    Dang! I wish I'd known there was a new, improved one a'comin' - just bought THIS one! :D Oh well! If you (Keri) say it won't work, then I guess I'll just leave the Subsee home this trip, and wait for a trip where it's worth totin' the 100mm...

  11. Dang! I wish I'd known there was a new, improved one a'comin' - just bought THIS one! :blink: Oh well! If you (Keri) say it won't work, then I guess I'll just leave the Subsee home this trip, and wait for a trip where it's worth totin' the 100mm...

     

    Don't get me wrong, the current SubSee is still a very powerful, high quality optical tool. The method you mentioned will likely work, but of course, it's not the best option for getting supermacro images. And even when the new SubSees are released in a few months, we're still probably not going to be recommending their use with lenses shorter than around 100mm.

     

    It certainly wouldn't hurt to try it out on your Rangiroa trip! I'm actually interested to see what your particular setup is capable of with it.

  12. FYI, Jeff Mullens shoots a subsee on an e-330/ 50mm

     

    It was when I was diving with Jeff last fall in Tulamben that I first heard about the subsee. He recommended that I contact Keri about getting one.

     

     

    when the new SubSees are released in a few months, we're still probably not going to be recommending their use with lenses shorter than around 100mm.

     

    Since I own the 105mm VR lens, it sounds like the new SubSee will complement my lens collection very well.

     

    I would like to order one from you. Please advise how I can do that. It will be perfect to take with me when I dive with Alex Mustard in January 2010 in Grand Cayman at his workshop. By then, Alex will have tested it thoroughly and I can benefit from his knowledge of how to use it :blink:

     

    Ellen

  13. It will be perfect to take with me when I dive with Alex Mustard in January 2010 in Grand Cayman at his workshop.

     

    Ellen

     

    9 months away, wow. I have to wait 4 more days to use mine again, (the last time was 4 weeks ago), and it's killing me! :blink:

     

    Scott

  14. My guess is that Little Cayman will be the perfect place to get used to a subsee. You need calm water. On the af-105-vr I use c (continuous autofocus), spot metering and both focus and shutter priority shutter release. Focus release priority is really frustrating because you can't understand why the d@mn camera won't take the shot that looks good in the viewfinder BUT once you see the shot on your laptop you'll understand-The shot wasn't really in focus.

     

    My process with the Af-105-vr was to take a shot without the subsee at 1:1, then move in. Comparing shots at 1:1 cropped 50% with full frame subsee shots at 2:1 may surprise you. The depth of field (or lack of it) makes the shot completely different.

     

    Alex uses the E-330 which has working underwater liveview. He still reports only 1 of 10 shots in focus.

  15. Does anyone have a Subsee they're willing to part with. II'm in desperate need of one for my wife to use as a magnifier on our upcoming PNG trip. 'm happy to pay full price. That way you can replace yours with the new improved version as soon as they're available.

  16. Does anyone have a Subsee they're willing to part with. II'm in desperate need of one for my wife to use as a magnifier on our upcoming PNG trip. 'm happy to pay full price. That way you can replace yours with the new improved version as soon as they're available.

    For what housing/port? I have one you could borrow but it depends on what port you want to stick it on.

    Bill

  17. For what housing/port? I have one you could borrow but it depends on what port you want to stick it on.

    Bill

     

    I'm actually looking for just the SubSee diopter for use as a handheld magnifier. I won't be using it as a diopter so don't need the port adapter.

  18. I'm actually looking for just the SubSee diopter for use as a handheld magnifier. I won't be using it as a diopter so don't need the port adapter.

    email me

    bill.van-antwerp@medtronic.com

  19. If I were to order a magnifier+adapter from reefnet; would I be getting the new one or the old one? Does anyone here know?

  20. Phew this thread is a heavy read!

     

    So to try to summarise - a DX (cropped) sensor camera gives greater magnification, however a FX (full frame) sensor will have greater depth of field (1.5x more) than a DX sensor when both are used with the same lens at the same magnification. Could someone please confirm these (seemingly) simple statements without going into a massive amount of mathematics? A simple "yes" or "no" will do nicely. :)

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.