Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Turn your flash off please

Started by Scubysnaps ·

  • 97Posts
  • 97Replies

Read-only discussion

Turn your flash off please

97 posts
  1. That reason went out the door with Getty, Alamy and MS going nuts on stock images. If every picture taken was of a new species or at least a new stage of development of an established species, I'd buy that. Otherwise, it's just another justification to get what we want :D

    Jeez Drew you're tough. I do think there is some trickle down effect on a local level from individuals like us 'hobbyists'. For example my kids are much more aware of ocean conservation issues as a result of my interest, which results directly from my activities as a diver and photographer. I'm pretty certain this is what has prompted my daughter to pursue marine biology at college.

    It's no different from the concept of hikers being concerned about conservation, or even hunters for that matter. (Though I still struggle with that argument).

    Now whether we make up for our carbon footprint in getting to these exotic places or not is another matter.

    I've said it before, probably the only folks who are beyond reproach are folks like the Aborigines or the Amish, who decline modern amenities and technology even when it's available to them.

  2. Hi Drew,

     

    Fair points .......and I think you have inspired me....

     

    I'm going to sell my equipment on ebay...give up underwater photography....and stay at home....as its too much of an environmental and fiscal impact.

     

    Hey-its all been done to death at this stage hasnt it???

     

    Damo

     

    ps. As a show of solidarity- would you like to do likewise?

  3. Emperor's new advice to divers:

     

    So the next time you dive with us remember to keep a respectful distance as not to interfere with the natural behaviour of the animals, watch where you put your fins when taking pictures and if it looks like you are disturbing the subject with you flash just back off a bit.

     

    All's well that ends well.

  4. Emperor's new advice to divers:

     

    So the next time you dive with us remember to keep a respectful distance as not to interfere with the natural behaviour of the animals, watch where you put your fins when taking pictures and if it looks like you are disturbing the subject with you flash just back off a bit.

     

    All's well that ends well.

     

    How very sensible :D

  5. Hi Drew,

     

    Fair points .......and I think you have inspired me....

     

    I'm going to sell my equipment on ebay...give up underwater photography....and stay at home....as its too much of an environmental and fiscal impact.

     

    Hey-its all been done to death at this stage hasnt it???

     

    Damo

     

    ps. As a show of solidarity- would you like to do likewise?

    Damo

    There are many ways to reduce your environmental impact. Plus even if you sepuku, you're still not neutral yet. Obviously many of those ways cost money and time but are very worthwhile. Let's not bring out the shovels yet. :D

     

    Emperor's new advice to divers:

     

    So the next time you dive with us remember to keep a respectful distance as not to interfere with the natural behaviour of the animals, watch where you put your fins when taking pictures and if it looks like you are disturbing the subject with you flash just back off a bit.

     

    All's well that ends well.

    See? They must've read the thread. ;)

  6. Hi Drew,

     

    So I take it you wont be joining me on Ebay then? I was so hoping you'd join me and make that stand for strobe blind pygmy sea horses everywhere :(

     

    Completely agree with Emperor's directions- brilliant- I couldn't have put it better myself.

    So much so I think I'll stencil same to my mask.

     

    Now- if only we could sort out the stage fright sharks in the Monads? Or the dazzled threshers in malapascua???? or those goggle eyed sperm whales????

     

    :D

    ;)

     

    ;)

  7. I think it's best until we do know for sure to just not, I dunno, overdo it.

  8. ... I am a more complex animal than a pygmy seahorse...

     

    Would you agree to a DNA test to prove that? Look at the similarities:

     

    vertebrate (your gear reviews are never spineless)

    two eyes (and photographs to prove it)

    marine (ditto)

     

    To an average Martian, I'd guess that you look pretty much the same as a pygmy seahorse...

     

    Tim

     

    :D

     

     

    PS All of the Americans that I have dived with this year, from novices to one of Stan Waterman's gofers, have been friendly, enthusiastic and absolutely fine in the water...

     

    ... and definitely up for 60-minutes plus!

  9. So the next time you dive with us remember to keep a respectful distance as not to interfere with the natural behaviour of the animals, watch where you put your fins when taking pictures and if it looks like you are disturbing the subject with you flash just back off a bit.

     

    Thank heavens! I took my first serious images with a Nik V on a trip with Emperor, and I wouldn't want to have to give up on them...

     

    Tim

     

    :D

  10. Emperor's new advice to divers:

     

    So the next time you dive with us remember to keep a respectful distance as not to interfere with the natural behaviour of the animals, watch where you put your fins when taking pictures and if it looks like you are disturbing the subject with you flash just back off a bit.

     

    All's well that ends well.

     

    Does it lok like I was "interfering" with this guy? Does he look "disturbed"?

    marsa_b4_PS_1_of_8.jpg

     

    marsa_b4_PS_2_of_8.jpg

     

    marsa_b4_PS_3_of_8.jpg

     

    And if I got that Dyron fisheye, I would have to be even closer!?

    No mention on their reply about the Longimaanus no flash rule then that they tell you about just before you get wet?

  11. Does it lok like I was "interfering" with this guy? Does he look "disturbed"?

     

     

    This green turtle was so disturbed it nervously tucked into a lengthy meal of seagrass while the male octopus was so disturbed it spent 40 minutes shagging the female!

    post-4197-1248524538.jpg

    post-4197-1248524618.jpg

  12. Nice shots!!

    I think this could be a new topic for POTW contest....Blinded by the light...or scared by the flash...or Warning this film contains flash photography, why dont we just have a sticker on our housings warning the fish that if they suffer from Epileptic fits, look the other way!?

     

    Sorry I'll stop :D

  13. Two recent examples:

    http://www.divernet.com/Travel_Features/re..._dont_care.html

    http://www.divernet.com/Marine-Life/marine...eacon_rock.html

     

    They are not affected by the flash as their reactions are quicker than ours. They merely see a gentle pulse of light. Ignorance is man's greatest passion. I was in the Caribbean with another wetpixeller last week when we fell foul of a silly dive guide trying to enforce sillier rules. I put them right in no uncertain terms, which impressed some others on the boat!

     

    Hi John,

     

    I really liked your batfish shot, I've never seen those color variations before, excellent light and focus, just perfect.

     

    I tend to agree with most of the posters here about the strobes. I would add that too much light is disturbing to the smaller creatures but causing them to move or swim is worse because that costs them energy, and small critters do not have the stamina of a dolphin!

     

    Regard,

    Scott

  14. I was in Sodwana Bay, South Africa last February and we were privileged to dive 1/4 mile reef the anual temporary home to prgenant Raggies. We were all asked not to use strobes as there seemed evidence that a lot of strobes firing made them nervous. As it happened, as I rolled off the boat my shutter lever caught on a rope and pulled off, Arriving at the sea bed as the 1st curious Raggie came toward me I carefully set the white balance then raised the camera, framed the shot and my index finger waggled up and down where the lever should have been :)

  15. At least here in Egypt where I am at the moment, there is no danger that THIS COFFEE MIGHT BE HOT!

  16. I'm just back from a Egypt trip when CJ and I had a day with Emperor at the Marina Lodge. Both our rigs had a couple of Z-240's hanging off them and did not attract any comment from Emperor staff either at reception or on the day boat. But unfortunately the 'Emperor Experience' was crap for other reasons...

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.