Hi all,
I am new here and looking for some help. The thing is that above water, I work as a photojournalist and pretty much only use my 5D2, but now I have taken up freediving and looking to house the 5D2.
I have been checking up on both Hugyfot's and Aquatica's housing, but I am in a limbo. I'll try to explain what I am after.
I saw A. Mustard somewhere using the words "uw photojournalism" or something of the kind and I think that best describes what I will be doing as well. So in terms of visuals, I will not do macro at all, but more the distance one would shoot one's buddy or reef scenes or a combo of the two.
So first point is that I'll definitely shoot wide angle or fisheye. But that of course poses another question - which of the two is it? I was pretty set on a fixed 20mm, but then I started reading about rect. lenses and lack of corner sharpness, so perhaps the Tokina 10-17 with the 1.4 extender? I guess at the longer end, it will not be too fishey. Any suggestions to help me choose between the two?
I should also mention that I will prolly not shoot flash and am also looking for the smallest possible housing for the 5D2 so I wont drag too much stuff through the water. Which means, I will also be looking at the smallest possible dome, which still yields good results. Is a small fisheye dome smaller than the smallest OK dome for a 20mm?
Finally, since I will also try to do video, I would like to hear from owners of the two housings aboutt the ease of using the video controls on the housing. It seems that Aquaticas are a little bit smarter laid out - but does this mean they are a hassle on the Hugy?
Ah, also if anyone have tried both, do they have any feelings about which viewfinder is best? (I will keep original viewfinder, but like to frame my shots as controlled as possible, so looking for one that easily shows 100% of the viewfinder. Perhaps it helps that I dive with a low volume mask that could get me perhaps 10mm closer to the finder...?)
I think that's it. To sum up, here it is:
Need 5D2 housing for freediving - Looking for "most streamlined", smallest possible package. Only available light/no strobes:
- Between Hugy and Aquatica, what would you recommend?
- Fisheye or fixed rectilinear 20mm for "UW photojournalism"? (Think buddy in reef scene kinda thing) and smallest dome to still yield OK results
- The buttons for video are seemingly more thought out on Aquatica - are they still OK on Hugy or would one have to move hand out of grip?
- What viewfinder of the two, do you prefer?
I think that's it, any help would be deeply appreciated, as stated I am kinda stuck right now...
Thanks a bunch,
David