Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon SD90IS, same sensor as G11

Started by Deep6 ·

  • 52Posts
  • 52Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon SD90IS, same sensor as G11

52 posts
  1. The SD90 is a new camera from Canon. I can find it on Canon UK, but not on the US site. Apparently it has the same sensor as the G11. Has any WPer had their hands on one? Do you think Canon will make housing for it?

    Bob

  2. It was announced on the same day as the G11 - hence no one has had their hands on one yet, except for maybe the big magazine and website reviewers. It sure looks good though, doesn't it? For more details, check dpreview.com and gizmodo.com

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Do a lot of housings get made for cameras that have a pop-up flash?

     

    Ikelite's chart states that they are considering making a housing for the S90.

    Edited by danielandrewclem
  4. If I recall from the press release from Canon, both cameras are due to be released in mid-September. So no one really knows yet, and there are no housings available for either at this point. (Except the OEM housings which should be available at the same time the cameras are.)

     

    Interestingly, the SD90is actually comes with a better (faster) lens than the G11... f/2.0 vs. f/2.8 ... as well as a bigger LCD (2.8" vs. 3.0") although the SD doesn't swivel. (which is irrelevant underwater)

     

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0908/09081907canons90.asp

     

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0908/09081908canong11.asp

     

    Should be interesting to see how the comparison between the two cameras plays out.

     

    The G11 and SD90 are both listed on the USA Canon site: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controll...fcategoryid=113

    Edited by CompuDude
  5. The SD90 is a new camera from Canon. I can find it on Canon UK, but not on the US site. Apparently it has the same sensor as the G11. Has any WPer had their hands on one? Do you think Canon will make housing for it?

    Bob

    I'm confident Canon will make a housing for it since, at least according to the specs, the S90 does come with an UW scene mode and an UW white balance setting. Pretty much every camera Canon has made that I know of and has these options also had a Canon housing avialable.

  6. I'm really intrigued by the S90 as well. Especially the form factor and the control wheel thingy that's on the front.

     

    Anyone else really happy that they've finally decided to end the megapixel madness as well? :wacko:

  7. I like the look of that one too. Could be my next compact...

     

    Alex

  8. I'm really intrigued by the S90 as well. Especially the form factor and the control wheel thingy that's on the front.

     

    Anyone else really happy that they've finally decided to end the megapixel madness as well? :wacko:

    The control wheel thingie is the only part that worries me, actually. Something about Ikelite's utter inability to handle controls that spin to a satisfactory degree.

     

    As long as that's not a problem, from a housing standpoint, it should be great if it lives up to (or better, surpasses) it's predecessors.

  9. The control wheel thingie is the only part that worries me, actually. Something about Ikelite's utter inability to handle controls that spin to a satisfactory degree.

    The dials on my G9 housing worked like a charm ... no complaints.

  10. The dials on my G9 housing worked like a charm ... no complaints.

    Depends on the dial in question. The one on my S80 is miserable... thus my concern about the S90.

  11. I'm confident Canon will make a housing for it

     

    Canon shows a housing for it, a generic picture all the same, but I think your confidence is correct.

     

    Between this, and the new Panasonic DMC-GF1, I think the compact market is heating up nicely for the serious consumer.

  12. Depends on the dial in question. The one on my S80 is miserable... thus my concern about the S90.

    That's cool ... and I would not dispute that ... but I do think this statement:

     

    "Something about Ikelite's utter inability to handle controls that spin to a satisfactory degree."

     

    ... is a bit strong. I've used a few different Ikelite housings with controls that spin in some way or another and I haven't really noticed an issue.

     

    The G9 had a couple different kinds, but admittedly nothing like the lens ring dial on the new camera ... but I bet they will make that work if they make a housing.

  13. The control wheel thingie is the only part that worries me, actually. Something about Ikelite's utter inability to handle controls that spin to a satisfactory degree.

     

    As long as that's not a problem, from a housing standpoint, it should be great if it lives up to (or better, surpasses) it's predecessors.

     

    I'm interested in the camera more of it's use as a pocketable camera to use on the street so wasn't really thinking of the UW applications at all hehe.

  14. That's cool ... and I would not dispute that ... but I do think this statement:

     

    "Something about Ikelite's utter inability to handle controls that spin to a satisfactory degree."

     

    ... is a bit strong. I've used a few different Ikelite housings with controls that spin in some way or another and I haven't really noticed an issue.

     

    The G9 had a couple different kinds, but admittedly nothing like the lens ring dial on the new camera ... but I bet they will make that work if they make a housing.

    Granted, the comment was probably stronger than warranted, outside of my situation. It will be interesting to see what they come up with, however. I will say I've not been impressed with their controls, when they have to go beyond straightforward pushbuttons and control rods, it could be just bad luck with my housing/camera combo, but I've found things to not like on all three Ike housings I've played with.

  15. The S90's are shipping now, if you can find one in stock.

     

    My local Best Buy has one on the shelf. It's taking all my self-restraint not to go buy it right now!

     

    (I really want to see Ike make a case for it before I pick one up... I've not been a big fan of Canon OEM housings)

  16. Ikelite is going to built an housing for the so temptating S90 , it could be avalaible early November . :)

     

    http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/camcanchart.html

     

    In fact I just order my S90 yesterday !! :)

    Edited by girelle
  17. Good news, if I can wait until November!

     

    Ironically, I bought my S90 2 days after the post saying I was holding back. My wife borrowed my S80 for the night and returned it totally busted.

     

    Instant spousal permission! (Plus I needed a camera immediately for my sister's wedding)

     

    Camera did nicely, although I was in the wedding party so shots were not able to claim my full attention. After living with my S80 for so long there is going to be an adjustment period, that's for sure.

  18. As soon as I'll get mine , I will give you my first impression :)

  19. What is the shutter lag like?

  20. 28mm lens - so no INON Fisheye, correct?

     

    Means a pass from me.

     

    Alex

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.