Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Visions in the Sea: Underwater photography festival

Started by ScubaDiva ·

  • 43Posts
  • 43Replies

Read-only discussion

Visions in the Sea: Underwater photography festival

43 posts
  1. Just a reminder about Visions in the Sea which is taking place in Manchester this year on Nov 7th - 8th. a two day photography love-in featuring guest speakers including:

     

     

     

    Cathy Church: The techniques and art of shooting close underwater

     

    Paul "Duxy" Duxfield: Getting the best from your Compact Camera

     

    Martin Edge: Edge of the Light

     

    Charlie Hood: The Complete Guide to Wreck Photography

     

    Maria Munn: Capturing the World's Largest Animals with a Compact Camera

     

    Dr Alex Mustard: Mastering your strobes

     

    Jukka Nurminen: Beneath the waves of the Baltic Sea

     

    Mark Koekemoer: Pilots in Gibralter

     

    Peter Scoones: Underwater Wildlife Filming

     

    Shark Trust: The Important work of the Shark Trust

     

     

    Also on the Sunday afternoon there is a "Teach In" at the Aquatics Centre's 5m pool with experts on-hand to help folks improve their techniques. I have been told by the organisers that there will be a (real) mermaid to photograph. wink.gif

     

     

    Also on the Saturday night there is a Gala dinner at the Palace Hotel in aid of the Sharks Trust.

     

     

    City Inn where the talks will be held are currently doing a deal if you quote Visions when booking - I think it is something like £79 for a room (not per person).

     

     

    For tickets see http://www.visionsinthesea.com/tickets.html

  2. Sounds great.

     

    Sucks that i live in Denmark...:-D

  3. City Inn where the talks will be held are currently doing a deal if you quote Visions when booking - I think it is something like £79 for a room (not per person).

     

    Hhmmmnnn....

     

    .... City Inn didn't seem to know anything about an offer when I booked a room....

     

    .... but I'm looking forward to seeing everyone, anyway.

     

    Tim

     

    :uwphotog:

    Edited by tdpriest
  4. Looking forward to seeing everyone too - I am proud to say I am one of very few people who have been to all the Visions Conferences down the years (although I have not seen all the talks - missed Doubilet's for example).

     

    I think that Visions is a great event, the quality of the talks is always high. Most of the speakers understand that this is an event to speak about techniques and show people how they do it (showing good and bad shots), which is really great. At so many events photographers just turn up and show their best shots, with an "aren't I great" narrative. We get a few of these at Visions, but thankfully most speakers get why they are there.

     

    I would definitely go even if I wasn't speaking - you always pick up so many tips and inspiration. At the last one, I asked not to speak so I could go and sit in the audience and get the most out of it (although in the end they made me speak). When you think about how much you spend on UW Photo - the info you get at these events is priceless and only costs £55, I think.

     

    I am really excited to see that Cathy Church is speaking. I have heard her speak several times and she's an excellent communicator about underwater photography. It is also her first time speaking in the UK, AFAIK - which is very cool.

     

    I have prepared my talk now, which I am looking forward to giving (I am on first after lunch - ideal time for a nap) - took the last pictures for it on Wednesday (the backlit john dory, which I put on facebook) - so its done now.

     

    Alex

  5. Absolutely! I was at the one in London in 2007 and the presentations were excellent. Looking forward to Manchester at the weekend.

  6. I really want to go to this its just fitting everything in, and a bit of a drive!

    Is the the same speakers both days or are they different?

    It all adds up too,

    speeches+b&b+meal+pool, anyone want to share a Lift and/or twin room if I went!?

    Edited by Scubysnaps
  7. Just a reminder about Visions in the Sea which is taking place in Manchester this year on Nov 7th - 8th. a two day photography love-in featuring guest speakers including:

     

    Looks like an amazing time ... enjoy.

  8. I really want to go to this its just fitting everything in, and a bit of a drive!

    Is the the same speakers both days or are they different?

    It all adds up too,

    speeches+b&b+meal+pool, anyone want to share a Lift and/or twin room if I went!?

     

     

    Speakers are different on the different days and the talks go on all day saturday and in the morning on sunday, then off to the pool on sunday afternoon. You can get tickets for just the talks or for the talks plus pool, and then the dinner if you wanted to go.

  9. Ok! I'm in :uwphotog: see you all there!

  10. Update, full program:

     

    Saturday:

    09:00 - 09:15: Welcome to Visions

    09:15 - 10:00: Cathy Church - Getting Close with Cathy Church

    10:10 - 10:55: Paul Duxfield -Simple Solutions for Stunning Shots

    10:55 - 11:15: Coffee break

    11:15 - 12:00: Martin Edge - Edge of the Light

    12:00 - 13:00: Lunch

    13:00 - 13:45: Alex Mustard - Mastering your strobes

    14:00 - 14:45: Jukka Nurminen - Beneath the waves of the Baltic Sea

    14:45 - 15:00 Coffee Break

    15:00 - 15:45: Ali Hood - Sharks: Threats and Challenges for a Sustainable Future

    16:00 - 16:45: Charlie Hood - The Complete Guide to Wreck Photography

    Sunday

    09:15 - 09:45: Mark Koekemoer - Pilots in Gibraltar

    10:00 - 10:45: Maria Munn - Capturing the World's Largest Animals with a Compact Camera

    10:45 - 11:00: Coffee Break + 1min silence

    11:00 - 11:45: Peter Scoones - Underwater Wildlife Filming

     

    Then the pool session.

     

    Alex

  11. What a terrific schedule. CJ and I will see you at the City Inn on Friday evening! Safe drive.

  12. What a terrific schedule. CJ and I will see you at the City Inn on Friday evening! Safe drive.

     

    I'll see you Saturday morning Tim,

    I guess I'll be on the look out for a Chris Tarrant lookalikey :blink:

  13. Gutted I cannot make it to see the Eminent Mr Scoones do his talk ... Maybe next time :lol:

     

    Looks like a cracker for you wannabe filmmakers ... Whoops sorry ... Photographers :blink:

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  14. I really wanted to come, but I finally can't, a big part because of the price (plane, hotel, entrance (which is not even free for the finalists of the competition :/ )). It cost too much everything included.

    anyway, I hope some of you will post some photos here ! :blink:

    Edited by Autopsea
  15. ... not even free for the finalists of the competition :/ ...

     

    What a strange remark!

     

    Last time it looked as if most of the attendees had at least one image on display...

     

    Tim

     

    :blink:

  16. What a strange remark!

     

    I'd guess the comment comes from the fact that if you enter the Antibes Festival you get free entry (or by being in Club Prima - which I guess M. Autopsea happily is!). But the difference is that Marseilles (née Antibes) Festival is first and foremost a competition, while Visions is first an foremost a conference (with a competition tagged on).

     

    Visions aims to be an educational weekend for photographers - where the speakers share their secrets. There are occasionally talks at Antibes, but they are very much along the lines of "I'm a photographer, aren't I great". I have never learned anything useful at Antibes in a talk (but have seen some great photos), but I have learned a great deal chatting to other photographers at the bar.

     

    It is a pity that someone doesn't come forward and properly sponsor Visions, it would be great if you could get the entry fee down to the £20 region. But that said, the fact that it is £50+ means that the talks always have a good atmosphere because people who are there really want to improve their photography.

     

    Alex

  17. I'd guess the comment comes from the fact that if you enter the Antibes Festival you get free entry (or by being in Club Prima - which I guess M. Autopsea happily is!). But the difference is that Marseilles (née Antibes) Festival is first and foremost a competition, while Visions is first an foremost a conference (with a competition tagged on).

     

    Visions aims to be an educational weekend for photographers - where the speakers share their secrets. There are occasionally talks at Antibes, but they are very much along the lines of "I'm a photographer, aren't I great". I have never learned anything useful at Antibes in a talk (but have seen some great photos), but I have learned a great deal chatting to other photographers at the bar.

     

    It is a pity that someone doesn't come forward and properly sponsor Visions, it would be great if you could get the entry fee down to the £20 region. But that said, the fact that it is £50+ means that the talks always have a good atmosphere because people who are there really want to improve their photography.

     

    Alex

     

    you're probably true :blink: I think the 55£ are totally right, and I'll be happy to pay even 100£ if I could !

    sorry if you had the impression I was whining at the event, I was only whining at how poor I am :lol: I'll be there one day.

    Enjoy your week end, and thanks for everything you share through forum, website(s) and more !

  18. Thanks, Alex, for explaining.

     

    I suspect that even at Steve W's prices free entry would bankrupt those sponsors that there are for Visions...

     

    I know that there aren't that many of us, but I would have thought that the image of underwater photography would have attracted one or more of the camera companies...

     

    ... after all, a few years ago Volvo used diving tanks to illustrate the lifestyle choice of estate-car owners!

     

    Tim

     

    :)

  19. Are you making your way up tonight Tim or in the morning? And are you coming to the dinner?

  20. It was, just, wow!!

     

    Tim

     

    :)

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.